Could it be twins? Help needed please :)

blbump3007

Reaction score
Hello all :) I'm not sure whether I'm a crazy pregnant lady overthinking or I may have a point but I really need some advice from mums to put my mind at rest a little!

I'm currently 18+2 with my first. Twins run quite heavily in both myself and my boyfriend's family (his mother is a twin, he is not). Since, about 7 weeks I've had a "feeling" I was carrying twins. Not reliable I know but as pregnant women we all have these "I just know" feelings about things (whether or not we're right is a totally different matter!!).

I had my first (and only as yet) scan at 12+6. The midwife zoomed close in to take photos of baby however, there was a point in the scan where she zoomed far out for a couple seconds. I happened to notice what I took to be 2 sacks, one on the left and one on the right. Straight away when she had zoomed back in my boyfriend asked "there is only one baby isn't there?" and the midwife said yes. He then informed me that he had asked this as he had seen the two sacks that I then told him I had seen too.

This played on my mind but I was just happy my baby was healthy and pushed it to the back of my mind. However, I explained what we had seen to my usual midwife at my 16 week appointment and the fact that I believed I had picked up 2 heartbeats on my home doppler on multiple occasions. She asked me whether or not I was sure there was only 1 baby. I answered that as the midwife at the hospital had told me there was only 1, I had believed what I was told but that there was doubt in my mind. She told me we'd know for sure at my 20 week scan.

Since this, I took another look at the scan photos we have and compared them (we have 3 different images). I have attached them for you to look at but basically, to me, 2 photos look the same and one looks different (I know this is the part where I sound crazy haha!) Image 1 is a clear image of baby, image 2 is a blurrier image of baby facing the same way and image 3 is the image in which I notice differences. Family members have acknowledged these differences too but don't really know what to think. I have circled the 2 main differences which are the shape of the head (In images 1 and 2, the head seems to go in quite a straight, smooth line down the face, thre isn't much of an ident near the eyes, nose or mouth. In the 3rd image, the forehead looks more prominent and there seems to be more of an indent where the facial features would be. The second difference is where the baby's neck would be (in the first 2 images there is a clear curve inwards between the head and back where the neck would be although it is slightly blurred in the image 2. In the 3rd image, there is no dent at all just a straight line from the head to the back).

I'm sure it could be my hormones driving me pretty insane but 1) would it be possible that I could be carrying twins that have been missed if they are in seperate sacks? 2) Are there any differences in baby or am I letting my hormones rule me as a crazy, overthinking pregnant lady?!

Thank you for letting me rant my mad ramblings and any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• babyoneEDIT.jpg
    babyoneEDIT.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 42
  • babytwoEDIT.jpg
    babytwoEDIT.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 33
  • babyzthreeEDIT.jpg
    babyzthreeEDIT.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 38
They will look different depending on the angle of the probe and of course baby moves around so the profile will change.
These are my scan pics and as you can see they are quite different but there is definitely only one baby in there lol
The two on the right are 20 week scan and the two on the left are 13 week scan, very obviously different profiles at the same scans even though they are the same baby xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 28
Did the midwife at the 16wk appointment hear any heartbeats. Hope you get some answers soon. What about a private scan?

It is possible to find the heart beat from two different angles with a doppler which makes it seem like two.

Scan pics can distort quite a bit when baby moves. We got a 3d scan done later on with DD. In one of the pics she looked like she had a huge nose but it was normal in the others :).

Last edited:
Hello,

Expecting twins here!! I am 31 + 5.

My scans were very obvious when we went initially and couldn't miss that there were definitely two separate sacs.

I have attached my scan from 7 + 3

They were a big big shock as didn't find out until after we told the families that twins run on both sides of the family!!

If you want to know for sure I would keep pushing to find out as they should really establish before you get any further so you get the appropriate care!!

Attachments

• 12522992_1011100075600290_3680616708368428419_n.jpg
    12522992_1011100075600290_3680616708368428419_n.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 28
You may have noticed your bladder as a sac as when that is full it is a dark mass. I doubt they would have missed a second baby.

Also your ovaries look like a black sac space as well, so might have been that. You are still within your right to double double check tho, as will ease your mind xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back