Cotbed mattress/bedding

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by nefisher, Dec 30, 2007.

1. nefisher

nefisher Well-Known Member

The mattress in Poppy's cotbed feels as hard as a plank of wood (well maybe not that hard!!). It is a standard foam one that came with the cotbed. I'd love to make it more comfortable for her (so she doesn't want to keep coming into our bed). does anyone have a sprung mattress? Are they any good? Also, does anyone give their LO (under 1 year) a pillow? She has a grobag, but I reckon she may find a blanket more cosy. She doesn't look cosy in her grobag on her plank of wood.

2. kalia

kalia Well-Known Member

I don't have a baby yet but here is some stuff that Which? says

Squeeze a selection of mattresses in the shop and choose one that feels firm rather than soft. To compare firmness, squeeze at the edges and at the centre. Your baby needs a mattress that provides good support and won’t sag.
    Look for a cot mattress that is 8–10cm (3.25–4in) thick. Anything thinner won’t provide the support your baby needs. Thin foam in particular can lose its shape and dent easily.

I don't know if that's of any help.

3. nefisher

nefisher Well-Known Member

Thanks kalia :D Congrats on your pregnancy, having a baby is the best thing in the whole wide world x

4. Emmylou

Emmylou Well-Known Member

Libby's is a sprung mattress but it is still very firm, it is important that the mattress isn't too soft, as they require good back supprt, and I really wouldn't recommend a pillow for her as it is a suffocation risk (she could rollover and not be able to lift her head off it).....so, it looks like she's stuck with her sleeping bag & plank of wood........but don't worry......she'll be no where near as uncomfortable as you think she is..... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: