Cot bumpers - safe or not?

x_larlybelle_x

Reaction score
What are your views on this?

I can't decide what bedding set I want for Pip - so I'm thinking of just getting a blue bedding set (2 sheets, fleece blanket and cellular blanket). I know Pip can't have a quilt until 12 months but I was gonna use a swaddle blanket at first then a sleeping bag so he wouldn't need a quilt as well.

Most of the themed sets have a bumper in the set. I've heard that these aren't safe for babies due to risk of suffocation. Just wondering what your thoughts on it are?

Not entirely sure what I should be doing with Pip being my first.

Is there anything else I need other than sheets and blankets for his cot?

Help ladies!!

Last edited:
I got a bumper cot set, I tied it on tight but then again he has swapped ends so its near his feet now, personally its up to you hun x But he is fine had no probelms with them :)

I have heard that they're not recommend because of the risk of overheating, getting caught in the ties, suffocation etc but they say you should place the baby in the feet to foot position anyway. If you do that I doubt they'll reach the bumpers but I'm being cautious and taking mine off when baby arrives anyway xx

You'll have to pardon me for being clueless but I'm guessing that bumpers are to do with LO hitting the side of the cot and to stop getting their arms and legs caught between the bars when they are small? Am I right?

Anyhow I spotted this and wondered if it solved the problem.

http://www.tllc.com.au/airwrap/

Thanks Ninja.xx

I had been wondering about this too. I got 2 sleeping bags today as read last night in bounty pack that 2.5 tog is good for winter. But I'm assuming we'll need to get a cover of some sorts too. It's hard to know what's best isn't it? I'm totally clueless!!

xx

Here's what I think from reading and talking with a couple of folks about handling bedtime. Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about feel free to chime in and let's us know what's what.

So at first when LO is really wee we'll be swaddling at night and if he doesn't like swaddling we've got cellular blankets. When he's big we're gonna use the sleep bag things because they're less likely to wriggle down in them. I think I'll be getting one if those mesh protectors too.

Here's what I think from reading and talking with a couple of folks about handling bedtime. Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about feel free to chime in and let's us know what's what.

So at first when LO is really wee we'll be swaddling at night and if he doesn't like swaddling we've got cellular blankets. When he's big we're gonna use the sleep bag things because they're less likely to wriggle down in them. I think I'll be getting one if those mesh protectors too.

Hmm so do we not use sleeping bags straight away? They kinda like tops at the top iykwim. I think my neighbour did, but maybe I'm imagining it! Lol.

I saw a swaddle blanket in TK Maxx today, so will pick up one of those bad boys. Thanks ladykins.

Mental note - google cellular blanket :whistle:

I think I'll get a mesh as well. Getting put off bumpers now. Even though they look really nice - annoying!

xx

That's what I was planning in doing ninja. I'm just gonna get plain blue sheets and blankets and decorate his room with accessories in different shades of blue like light shade, rug, wall decorations etc etc.

Can't decide on what set I want so I'm goin plain blue!

I think the sleeping bags depend on your LO. My friends baby was a 7lber and she reckoned that the sleep bags were a bit big for LO when he was newborn. I'm pretty sure they grow into them quick enough. I think you just need to work out what works for your LO like some love being swaddled when they are really wee and some hate it.

You can get sleeping bags that are able to be used right from birth cant you??

I'm a wee bit concerned about the swaddling bit - as I read it can increase risk of SIDS - which I am totally paranoid about as DH lost a sister to it.

xxx

with dd she was too small initially for gro-bags but as soon as her weight was up she was straight in them. She is in them now too as she wont part with them at 3.5yrs old.

Bumpers on cots weve had them on all the time just tied tight and tucked to the mattress. even used them in the crib. she seemed to prefer the more enclosed sleeping rather than open bars.

with this one im gonna do exact same including the sleeping positioner wedge and when old enough the goi goi pillow.

there is no right or wrong its all guidelines so you do whats best for you and baby

I got two gro bags and personally feeding a newborn in one and trying to wind wasn't so easy >.< but its your preference x

I love cot bumpers, i'm still useing one, i think there fine if there on right, grobags well i just used them from the age range. x

with dd she was too small initially for gro-bags but as soon as her weight was up she was straight in them. She is in them now too as she wont part with them at 3.5yrs old.

Bumpers on cots weve had them on all the time just tied tight and tucked to the mattress. even used them in the crib. she seemed to prefer the more enclosed sleeping rather than open bars.

with this one im gonna do exact same including the sleeping positioner wedge and when old enough the goi goi pillow.

there is no right or wrong its all guidelines so you do whats best for you and baby

Thanks hun. Never thought of that. Think I'll get a swaddle as well and can see what suits. The bags are 0-6m anyway (I think lol) so should last.x

Aiden was in a sleeping bag from birth, he hated being swaddled and used to kick it all off so I'd spend most of the night trying to wrap him up to keep him warm :/ his sleeping bag was tiny so there was no room for him to slip down so I had no worries about using one. They've been a god send to me actually cos we still use them now, if we don't hell kick the blankets off the naughty boy! We never used a bumper but that was purely because the one we had didn't fit the cot, but we have another one now and I've put it on nice and tight and tucked down the side of his mattress.
As someone else said, it's all guidelines, every bubba is different so just try different things to see what works best for you x

You'll have to pardon me for being clueless but I'm guessing that bumpers are to do with LO hitting the side of the cot and to stop getting their arms and legs caught between the bars when they are small? Am I right?

Anyhow I spotted this and wondered if it solved the problem.

http://www.tllc.com.au/airwrap/

Trying to find the best deal for this, ideally in blue, if anyone knows! x

Sorry only just found it myself. Will let you know if I spot anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back