Baby sleeping bags & cot bumpers

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive heard that you shouldnt use baby sleeping bags on newborns.. is that correct? I have a couple of 0-3months and would like to use these rather than sheets but am concerned baby may be too hot or too cold as its not like a cellular blanket?

Also.. cot bumpers? I have a cot bed and the slats are quite wide apart.. coudnt baby get the whole leg stuck without them? Ive also heard these arent recommended.

Claire x

We used sleeping bags from birth no problem. You just need to make sure you get ones that can be used from 7.5lb upwards. Most baby sleeping bags are designed for use from 10lb upwards. But there are plenty out there for 7lb plus. We got ours from Mothercare for 0-6 months. He is 4 months and in a 6-12 month one already (but then is a big baby).

I found them much easier than blankets and sheets as baby can kick these off easier and also with sleeping bags you don't have to worry about foot to feet position in a cot etc. In winter its a saver also as you know LO is going to remain covered up well. Its all about layering the bed clothing correctly for your baby.

As for cot bumpers, LO won't be moving round for a fair few months in a cot so I'd not worry to start with. I think they are window dressing and not worth forking out for tbh. LO will be fine in a cot bed without bumpers for a fair while. TBH in the early weeks your LO may not even settle in it and will want to be held close or in something more snug like a basket.

As above re the sleeping bags, although we swaddled Jenan unitl she was about 16 weeks old.

We didn't bother with the cot bumper - (1) they;re not moving around yet and (2) when they do start moving you do't want to have something they could get their faces pressed up against and suffocate on. IMO they are just there to look pretty but a total waste of money and potentially dangerous.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back