Coping with ectopic pregnancy

Hlouisebaby3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve had a little break from the forum but I think I’m ready to share my recent experience.

On the 30th sept I had some very light pink discharge/bleeding and after calling the hospital they told me to come to a&e to be on the safe side. My partner was in Spain at the time visiting his parents for their 25th wedding anniversary so I called one of my best friends (at 9am on a Sunday!!) who dropped everything and arrived in 15 mins to take me to hospital. I’m very lucky to have lovely, supportive friends. Anyway, we were seen extremely quickly in a&e and they referred me up to EPU (early pregnancy unit) I waiting for what felt like forever to be scanned and the longer I waited, the more scared I became and what felt like “being safe” soon turned to me feeling convinced something was wrong. However, my friend reassured me that she was sure things would be okay, especially seen as I had no pain.

We finally got called in and an external scan was done. I was told she couldn’t see the pregnancy but that wasn’t abnormal at only 6w1d so she said she needed to do an internal scan instead. She still couldn’t see anything but didn’t seem phased. She started saying “I can’t see anything outside the uterus to suggest anything is wro-“ then broke off and began staring at the screen. I knew that was it, I knew it was all over and began to cry. She said she was very sorry but could see what appeared to be a pregnancy in my right Fallopian tube but that they needed to do bloods to determine exactly what was going on. I began crying hysterically, I couldn’t believe this was happening and I then had to call my partner and tell him over the phone which felt so cruel for both of us. He said he would try and get an early flight home whilst I waited for bloods and saw the doctor.

Once bloods were taken, the doctor decided to hold off from operating because my hormone levels were so low that the pregnancy appeared to have already stopped growing. They admitted me to keep an eye on me overnight. They were particularly concerned about how dizzy I was so kept doing blood counts. When morning came, the head of gynaecology came round and said he had looked at the scan and the slightly dropping bloods and suggested it was best to have the surgery to remove my right tube and the pregnancy because he was concerned about internal bleeding. He did however, say it was my choice and could be monitored closely over 8 weeks instead. The risk I posed was the tube rupturing. I was very scared and with my partner literally on the runway at that point, we made a quick decision that the surgery sounded safer. They prepped me for surgery about 2 hours later and I just wished that Jamie had got back in time. He did however, arrive just as I woke up. The pain was horrendous and I was dosed up on morphine for hours because it was so unbearable. The surgeon then came round to speak to us and showed us pictures of the surgery! He said he wanted to highlight how bad this could of been and that it was the right decision because (as he showed us) the pregnancy had grown so huge that it had already ruptured my tube and I was bleeding heavily internally. He said “if you had left the hospital, you most likely wouldn’t be here!” I felt so lucky to be alive but I just wish that could of helped with the pain of losing our baby :(

It’s 15 days post surgery now and I’m nearly mobile by myself. Stairs are still a challenge but I’m determined to get better by our anniversary on the 27th weekend.

To sum up, the whole experience was the worst of my life but I really hope that just by sharing this I can really put emphasis on just how serious ectopic pregnancies can be and to make sure you have all the facts from your doctors. I didn’t realise it was life threatening to me until all of this. I am now awaiting af so we can start trying again because to me, that will help emotionally and my doctor said there’s no harm in trying straight away. I did actually read that you can fall pregnant before you even get a period but I only read this yesterday and we’ve already dtd a few times the last week. Oooops. I’m sure I won’t fall pregnant without my period first but if I do. Good luck dating that pregnancy!

Wishing everyone else happy and healthy pregnancies xxx

Thank you for sharing that, i think it helps to get all these things down and share these situations with other people so they are aware of what can happen and how it is dealt with.

I also didnt think it was life threatening either, so thank god we have the doctors and nurses we have <3

My friend had this back in December last year and is now expecting her baby in February and all is fine with this pregnancy <3

I also read, interestingly, from another member on here that if you get a positive pregnancy test after your AF it could mean it will lead to an ectopic pregnancy and it made me think of you and how yours wasnt really obvious until after your missed AF.

I wish you well and all the best for the ttc journey :dust:

Wow Helen. I can&#8217;t even begin to imagine how you&#8217;re feeling but thank you for sharing this with us. I also didn&#8217;t realise how serious ectopic pregnancies are. Thank you for sharing this and I hope you recover soon enough. I&#8217;ll look forward to seeing you back on the forum when you&#8217;re feeling ready <3 xx

I'm really sorry for your experience, it sounds awful! I just wanted to offer some reassurance that I have only got one fallopian tube and conceived after only 8 months this time, which I thought was pretty good going seeing as we've essentially got half the chance! Xx

Sorry to read your story. One that is very familiar to myself. To offer some reasurrance I lost my left tube to an ectopic pregnancy in June 2015. I am pregnant with my 2nd baby since then. It took 7 months afterwards but my rainbow baby was 2 last month and I am due baby number 5 in April (I have 3 older children who were before the ectopic). Good luck with your journey, you will get there xxx

Thank you for sharing that with us, I was wondering where you went to! I never knew it was that dangerous. Good thing you followed your instincts and went with the surgery. Hope you heal quickly and recover in no time! Good luck and sending you loads of :dust:!x

Such a difficult story to recount as well. Sending you lots of love hun :hug: and wishing you a speedy recovery x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back