Controlled crying?

kellie80

Reaction score
Spoke to the HV today about Aimees sleeping problems as its really getting me down now. She gave me some info about controlled crying. Does it work?, has anyone tried it cos it seems so harsh.

Yes have tried it and can vouch for it.
Did it with my daughter and to be honest you have to be prepated to be really hard. Just think that it will be worth it in the end
Good luck

i have never done it but have seen it on the tv. just when she is crying leave her for a few mins then go in and stroke her head to remind her you are there. then as soon as she has stopped crying leave the room again and try and wait longer each time. it should teach her that your not going to leave her and you will always come back for her and she should get confident and sleep

i seen the pick up put down routine on the baby wisperer, too

I have done it aswell hun, took me 3 long mights but well worth it, i did it when sophie was 15 months old

iv tried it with Braydon but he got so upset he had problems with his breathing (asthma) that i just had to stop
and im still getting up twice a nite :sleep: :bored:

i cant stand leaving them crying even for a miniute have to go to them straight away as soon as they make a noise and give them a cuddle, they dont wake very often tho

Hi Kellie

We did a version of controlled crying with Olivia a month ago and its worked wonders for her and us. Our objective was to do away with the dummy and to get Olivia to be able to fall asleep/settle herself without the dummy/breastfeed. She was waking every 1-3 hours and I was shattered and I had read a lot about how such broken sleep can affect the babies development.

Here's what we did:
Put her down in her cot tired but awake
She cried so I went back into her immediately and patted her chest, said "it's bedtime now, night night" then 3 x "shhhh, shhhh"
She still cried so I went in after 1 minute then left it 2 mins, then left it 3 mins, then left it 4 mins and so on. This is showing her that everything is ok and I will come to her when she cries.
If she got into a hysterical cry I would pick her up for a cuddle then put her down.

Let us know how you get on

Lucy

Thanks for the replies and i really hope it works. I'm not starting it yet as shes full of a cold and constantly waking cos she can't breathe. As soon as this colds gone i'm gonna give it a go.

hi hun - we did it wth alex when he was about 3/4 months to get him to go to sleep in his cot rather than falling asleep on us then putting him down.

we did very much like lucy. worked a treat for us. cired for half an hour the first night (and when i say cry i mean screamed the house down!) till he wore himslef out, fifteen mins the second night, 5 the third and then he would alwasys have a little cry for a few mins before he went off and then we got to the point where he was wide awake when we put him down and he just goes off without a whimper.

good luck hun!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i triesd with Ewan but couldn't do it, he was screaming and i mean really screaming, so i tried picking him up calmin him and then putting him down and doing the patting on the back and shhh shhh shhh or picking him up again if he got really upset.

I dont think it is fair to let a baby cry like that, they dont understand, all they are wanting is comfort, reasurance, food, warmth, they cry for a reason they do not know annoyance or spite.

once you've ruled out all the reasons why they could be crying all you can do is offer reasurance.

I did it with noah and it worked brilliantly. When I put him down at night he used to cry at being left. So I used this technique and after 2 nights he went to sleep on his own without cryin at all. He recognises that its time to go to sleep when he is put in his cot. I tink you create a rod for your own back if you give into them every time they cry out for attention, other wise they will some learn that whenever they want attention they just need to scream.

Now when noah wakes in the night, I leave him a minute or two and he often just settle himself, if he starts really going for it, I just nip in and pull is lanket over him and give him his dummy and he is straight back out like a light.

It does work, but you have too stick with it, took us 3 nights wasted 1 when my hubby felt sorry for him. He is being aabit of a pain, not sleeping all night again, just had 4 months of lovely sleep, his teeath have come through, no sighs of the others and sleep as gone out the window, including any day time naps :sleep: Wish I could and my hubby is on nights :pray:

I did the pick up put down with Katie and it worked, I can't bear to hear her crying for long as it makes me cry too.

Good luck hope it works.

I was thinking the other day I won't get a proper night sleep until she has left home and got married!!!!!!!!! I am dreading when she is older and wants to go out on the town with her mates I will be awake all night waiting for her to come in! i am turning in to my mum......... :wall:

Hi

I tried it when Kiara was 6 months old, first night cried for 40 min with me checking on her every 5 min or less, second night 20 min , third night 5 min and now she cried a min or less and goes right to sleep, it was very hard but it works, but i still go to her when she wakes at night.
Good luck for whichever you choose
Katrinaxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back