controlled crying

Sarah&Braydon

Reaction score
went to see my H/V yesturday and she says that i have to do the ' controlled crying' method which i am totally dreading for anyone thta dont know its basically putting the baby to bed wide awake and letting em cry but going in every 5 mons to check there ok

does ne one have netips which would make this less painful for me and B??

I had the same problem as you sarah when my daughter Brooke was about Bs age!
I also lived at home at the time with my parents! It was very hard listening to her cry all i wanted to do was go up an pick her up and hold her in my arms and cuddle her, i felt so guilty! It it wasn't for my mum keeping me strong i think she would still be doing it now 6 years on lol!
Anyway just wanted you to know that even tho it is hard the "controlled crying" method did actually work for us! I remember it as if it was yesterday! She cried the 1st night for waht seemed for ever then went off to sleep then the 2nd night she cried much less! On the 3rd night she went straight down and went to sleep! We did have the odd night after when she would cry when she went to bed but she settle down almost straight away! I felt really bad and was worried she wouldnt want to come near me the next day but when id go in the next morning and she would give me a great big smile i knew everything would be ok!
My advice is to stay strong minded no matter how hard it is dont give in! Just keep telling yourself it will do both you and him the world of good in the long run!
When he gets up in the morning and he gives you a smile he will have forgotten all about it and you will feel really proud of yourself and of him and all that guilt will go away!

Good Luck and let us know how you get on!

Kelly

Controlled crying worked for us, but my son was a wee bitty older. It took us 8 days and honestly, i wished that we had done it sooner (we had so many hassles prior to that).
Anyway - learned one valuable lesson.... we had read that some babies are intellegent enough to "throw up" so that you feel sorry for them and cuddle them back to sleep. etc. Well, first night, and there we go - our son threw up about 4 nights in a row. We went into his room with millitant presision - changed him, changed cot bedding and back down with no talking.
Nearly 12 years later - still sleep like a dream!
Bloody hard to do - it breaks your heart into a million pieces, but worth every tear in the long run.
Good luck Sarah - be strong! :wink:
Emilia xx

With my son Aidan, Everyone told me what to do.. get him off the bottle before he is one take the pacifier from him take him out of a crib. The only thing that someone told me to do that i totaly agreed with was getting him on a set schedule for feeding so that i wasn't up all the time feeding. and the controlled crying. He always wanted to be held we started to do this and my mom actually would make me go outside so that i would go pick him back up. we woud check on him but basically we figured if he was crying then he was breathing. we first made sure that his crib was free of anything that could harm him and that he was dry and feed then let him cry and like she said it worked after a few days. best decission i ever made.

We only tried it about a month ago and i wish we'd done it way sooner. He twittered on for a bit the first 3 nights but now he smiles when we kiss him goodnight , then talks to himself a bit and then falls fast asleep.

I never tried it sooner because i always felt guillty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back