Controlled crying - arghhhhhhhhh

loz

Reaction score
Is anyone else trying it at the moment? Emms' night pattern has just got horrendous lately and I know it cant just be teething as if I co-sleep with her, she doesnt wake up every hour through the night which she has been doing if in her cot :wall: :wall:

The HV advised not offering myself as the human dummy and controlled crying as she is at the age when she has learnt cause and effect of her crying.

Trying it tonight and it has been horrible so far. I'm going in every 5 mins to calm her down and put her back, but so far she is still awake and crying. Ahhhhhh

Has anyone else gone through this and has any advice?

Help!!! :shock:

I have hurd of babies taking upto an hour, the 1st night CC is tried. Its not a very popular thing to do on here...! But, I have tried it to a certain extent, when ditching the dummy. I guess luckly for me, he settled quickly (by quickly I mean half an hour, the 1st night).

Really I have no advice, but to stick it out, if you KNOW that there is nothing wrong/nothing tou can go for her, then, comfort her, and wait for her to sleep. And be prepared to do the same all night, babys are adaptive creatures, tomorrow night will get easyer, and so on.

Good Luck :hug: :hug:

Hi hun,

I did this with my lil girl at about the same age! It works so stick with it... i no it's really hard but my dd was using me as a dummy aswell as we co-slept from newborn.. it took two nites and of about an hour, how long have you been doing it and are you extending the times to a max of 20mins??

Why don't you just co-sleep insetad of having her in the cot is she sleeps OK with you?

I did CC when Isaac was 15months and it worked brilliantly from the start but I know that was because of his age, at your LO's age I still co-slept, but can understand thats not always best all round, so I would hope Mummy's from here can give you lots of support and advice, I have heard its a lot of perseverence and time, it must be hard, sending some hugs :hug: :hug: :hug: It's never nice when our LO's cry, try to see the end result of why you're doing what you're doing rather than thinking about the crying :hug:

I only stuck to it for half an hour and then she vomited everywhere. By then she was in a right state and so was I so we co-slept and she slept for ages. I think I'll have to do that for a while as I cant cope with what happened last night! The HV said that if she vomits, just clear it up and put her back, but it had gone though the mattress cover and everything. :(

Psychologically I dont think I am strong enough to do it at the moment, maybe I will wait a bit and try again when she is a bit older. :cry:

Awww, poor thing!! My DS never got himself that worked up, or I prob wudnt have been able to do it either.

:hug: Your mummy, you know whats best for your DD.

i don't think i'd be able to do it either loz :hug: :hug: i'm having a hideous time with connor using me as a dummy during the night at the moment - he had got into a good sleeping pattern with only 2 night feeds, but has upped that to 4/5 times at least and i'm soooo tired. :bored: :bored:

but i can't and won't ever leave him to cry. i'm hoping that this is a phase and that we'll be back to the old ways soon... :pray: :pray:

It's such a shame as she was sleeping through from 11pm - 9am from age 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 months and now it's like she's newborn again. I am so ratty with OH and just exhausted as I am working part-time. Hopefully things will change, maybe if these blasted teeth would make an appearance, things might calm down again!

i think this is a common thing that happens after 4 months ish. millie became a nitemare after she turned 4 months lol.

i tried controlled crying, i HATED ITTTTTTTT!

she started sleeping thru again at 8 months, could be down to one or more of these reasons:

* she moved from our bedroom to her nursery

* i stopped BFing

* her first tooth cut

* just co-incidence/her age!

good luck, i kno how hard it is :hug:

I started controlled crying 3 nights ago as i was getting fed up of rocking him to sleep everynight! So at 8pm i laid him in his cot with his bottle and he would fall asleep so no problem but 3 nights ago he didnt fall asleep after his bottle but i knew he was dam tired so i left him to cry, he started crying at 8.20pm and was asleep by 9, It was horrible i went in every few minute to put his dummy in and stroke his belly, the second night he was asleep after 30 minutes and last night it was 20 minutes. Its horrible but i think it will be so worth it in the end. I always make sure i have bottles to do so it takes my mind of the crying a little bit. last night his crying changed tho and it was more of a whingy cry because he knew i wouldnt be coming in to get him. bless him. But now he goes in his cot at 8 and sleeps till gone 7!

I would persist if you can but i know its soooo hard, but it should only take a few days to take effect! xx

:hug: :hug:

Arhhh Hun im sure i wouldn't have been able to carry on if Grace had been sick! just to upsetting, i suppose we were just lucky that she took to it so quickly and without this... as someones already said u no best, and im sure the restlessness will settle :)

perhaps you could try.. pick up put down.. after 8 months of age it is suggested that you dont actually pick the baby up.. but sit with them so they know you are there.. i patted teds back and shhh shhhed it worked.. after 3 nights he goes into his cot now and just lays there quietly till he falls asleep.. CC wasnt for us.. i found it to cruel. atleast with me sitting there he knew i was with him.. but realised that the cot was for going to sleep.. we did nap times in the cot exactly the same for a week.. and its worked.. :D good luck

I have reverted back to what we normally do tonight - bath, feed then she is asleep for 45 mins, then crying while asleep, suckles for 10 mins then asleep again for an hour. We'll see what happens later. The HV suggested keeping a sleep diary so that I can show them in a week's time.

I would try and persevere with CC if it wasnt for her being so violently sick. She also gets really red and hot.
I was picking her up cuddling her and then putting her down when she stopped crying, but she would start crying again the moment I put her down. It was so stressful, I just flipped my lid last night.

Thanks for the support, all this is so hard :(

BUT it's great to have my beautiful baby girl :D

I must of been one of the lucky ones to, ryan's 4th night off going down in his cot and he didnt cry at all tonight.

Dont worry im sure she will fall into her own routine soon enough, i found that with ryan over the last few weeks he's really changed and seem's to be putting himself into his own routine, Bless her tho making herself sick :( poor thing, Ure right if ryan was making hisself sick i wouldnt be able to do it either! Good idea about the sleep diary!

Oh sweetie :hug: Its so hard...

We have had it but later on with Ruby-she has always been a fantatic sleeper-lept through from 7 weeks old and always in her cot from day one and when she was older she would have her night bottle in her nursery and lean to her cot to go in which was fab.

The last few months have been a nightmare-she started waking in the night, and couldnt settle her without a bottle-it got to the point where she was having around 15oz milk in the night :shock: We couldnt carry on like that-it was like having a newborn but as she wasnt like this at newborn stage it was such a shock to the system (plus we both full time so we were exhausted too) We tried controlled crying and it worked after a week but it was so hard..OH and I were constantly at each others throats.

Next hurdle was bedtime, she went from going down easily, to screaming the second I tried to put her in cot-she would scream until she threw up! This went on for a week, I was on my hands and knees cleaning up puke in tears on night sobbing, and she was clinging to me sobbing in just her nappy as her PJs were covered in sick-it was awful!

So we started a new bed time routine-she gets into her PJs downtairs, we put the lights out and give her a warm bottle and a story...and hey presto, she sits up says "cot mummy" and thats it-I carry her up and she goes into her cot without a peep :cheer: :cheer:

I am hoping it continues this way-I dont think it will though :roll:

Good luck, I do know how hard it is..I am sure things will settle down soon :hug:

Last night was ok, Emms slept most of the evening and then from 10.45 to 5.45am and then until 7am. I didnt bother with cc and fed her lying down and then removed her to her cot when OH came to bed and she didnt wake up. Think I will manage like this until I feel brave enough to try cc again or until she slots naturally back into a better routine.

Thanks for all the support :hug: :hug:

you dont have to do controlled crying you know.. i have just posted in jens sleep thread if you want to read abotu another alternitive. x im not sure if you have seen the hosue of tiny terraways with Dr tanya byron? or the baby whisperer tracy hogg.. but they dont believe in CC apparently they think it can damage children, by them thinking their parent has abandoned them. (dont want to start a war here.. im jsut suggesting other alternatives)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back