Controlled crying

if colic was caused by crying wouldnt it be like swings and roundabouts?! im not sure they're connected, my two used to cry shed loads and never had it lol1

Lucky!!! If i had to choose between winning the jackpot on the lottery and never having a colicky baby again, Id choose not to have the colic!!:shakehead:

Id deffinatly choose the no colic thing. I couldnt imagine having a baby without colic...it seems like a fairy tale!

I know!!! Must be lovely not to slip into a strange screaming induced insanity for the first few months!!

Mine were always six weeks when i did conrolled crying - although i found it haddest 4th time round found i had to do some noisy housework so i didn't feel so bad - only had to do it twice though and she settles beautifully now x

Colic is the work of satan!! A baby with colic drives you mad with the sound of their crying and the knowlede that they are in pain!! 2 of mine had colic and it is really grim. Even with colic tho my philosophy is if they are crying in your arms after trying everything to sooth them then put them down and do what you have to do! It sounds bad but it would be worse if there were not bottles made up and sterilised! No clean clothes for baby to wear. Of course once these things are done then return to baby and try again to settle the poor love. Babies don't always cry for a reason. Even the most content baby will cry for a portion if the day. I guess the trick us to realise when the LO really needs something xx

What a long night that was!
I put charley down at 11.30 which is the latest he's gone to bed but I thought he'd only need the one feed! Well he then woke up at 2.00 and took most of his bottle then woke up again an hour and half later! So I changed his bum and he still cried, so tried giving him another bottle but he wouldn't take it so I put him back in his cot wide awake, he cried so I calmed him down, he started crying again so I waited a min then calmed him again, kept doing it for about 20mins but he was getting more and more wound up and took longer to settle cos he was so worked up, I ended up giving up and put him in bed with me which is what I don't want! This is gonna be so hard to get him in his cot all night!

:hug: that sounds like a nightmare. do you think it could be colic or wind after his feed? Some babies need to be kept upright after a feed too. you can get extra feet for one end ofhte cot so theyre on an incline, my friend uses them. Do you think he could have some reflux?

Last edited:
I thought reflux too!! They don't always throw up when they have it. Lucas used to arch his back and hold his breath xx

What's a reflux? I had a little cry this morning! I can handle night feeds but not to be awake for 2 hours after! I'm shattered!

Ok just googled and it sounds abit like charley! He gets hiccups after almost every feed, he sometimes looks like he's choking on his feed and the past few days he's been bringing milk up after he's finished!
I do burp him about 3-4 times during each feed so I do try to get as much wind up as poss!
With what I said, does that sound like a reflux?

its where the contents of the stomach comes back up the food pipe. It has stomach acid in so it can burn, and be really uncomfortable. Most of the time they throw up with it but not always. Its basically heartburn. Did you say something about him settling on your chest. It couldve been cos he was more upright and so it was all staying in his stomach.

He only settles on my chest and he's fine after his last feed before bed but once I've done a night feed, he's very hard to settle and once he's asleep in his cot, he normally wakes up after a hour! Gonna try raising his mattress later! I can't get to his cot feet cos my beds in the way!

i suppose you could just put something under the mattress at one end. same effect. In the day if I need to put morgan down after a feed I prop him up with pillows. Im not sure how much it helps but I have to feel like Im doing something.

i sounds like reflux to me too1 i used to put E in her bouncer after feeds cos it wa really upright! if the keeping him upright bit doesnt work, i'd take him to the docs and see about getting some gaviscon, that was a lifesaver for us, she used to bring up the vast majority of every feed!

oh gosh chaz that's exactly like Jack. He falls asleep during his feed then i burp him as his eyes always roll back then i lay him down to sleep but then 15 to 30 mins later he wakes up again and only falls to sleep on my chest but then 2 hours seem to pass and he wants his food again and i go through the same and then he'll fill his nappy and crys when i change him as he doesn't like to be changed or be naked. And then it takes ages to calm him.

my mum said last night that ill need to let him just cry soon as he'll get spoilt x

Kylie, that is exactly what Charleys like!
Sophie, controlled crying is where you let them cry for short periods. If their crying, settle them, if they start again then leave them for afew mins then go back and resettle. I did it with Lacey cos she kept waking through the night but I knew there was nothing wrong and after 3 nights of doing CC she started resettling herself and since then she's a fantastic sleeper!

I used to feed them, wind them, swaddle them and put them down. Also with night feeds I never turned on any lights, never spoke to them or even made eye contact. Everything was gentle, quiet and dark. They all went off straight away after a night feed. I didn't even leave the bed room, just sat in the bed while OH slept. Good luck for tonight xx

thats just how I feed herbie it sounds harsh but it works

We did the exact same , and if she cried (please don't tell me im awful :( ) we would let her cry for 5-10 mins . pick her up (without speaking) wind her, swaddle her again , we would repeat this until she fell asleep . We never had a problems with this and now she goes to bead without a peep :nap:

Ah might try it as joshua struggles to settle unless he's being hugged or rocked or on someone! Cheers! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back