Consultant lead mums.....

Shell99

Reaction score
Hi all

Due to previous placental abruption early baby low birth weight breathing feeding and platelet probs and crash section, I'm deemed hi risk and will be under consultant care aswell as my midwife.

At booking in appt mw said ill see consultant around 24 week mark :-/

Cpl days later she phoned me for something n said I should get a letter soon re consultants appt n should be within 4-6 weeks unless I wanted her to bring it forward which I said no that's fine

Just got the appt letter for nov 1st ill be 24 weeks then.

I think that's a bit late! I want to know if I'm heading towards another section n if ill be delivering early and what the chances are etc any additional scans and preventative measures etc etc

Those of you under consultant care..... When did/are you seeing your consultant for the first time?????

I'm consultant led due to previous section and hyperemesis. My midwife said I should see consultant about 16 weeks and if I don't get appointment by then just book in to see the midwife instead. I'm like you, seems a bit late. I want to know what I'm in for. Some of the other ladies have said they aren't seeing consultant till 24 weeks either.

I'm consultant led due to previous section and hyperemesis. My midwife said I should see consultant about 16 weeks and if I don't get appointment by then just book in to see the midwife instead. I'm like you, seems a bit late. I want to know what I'm in for. Some of the other ladies have said they aren't seeing consultant till 24 weeks either.

Thanks for reply. Morning sickness is a killer today so I'm going to wait until Monday n call midwife n see if I can get appt brought forward

I'm being consultant lead because I had preclampsia and high blood pressure with my son at the end of my pregnancy. I saw my consultant this tuesday just gone so just over 15 weeks. I then see her at 24 weeks when she wants to scan me then 28 and 32 and maybe 36 i cant remember. Each time they want to scan me too. So 23 weeks sounds very late to me? I've had one already xx

Last edited:
I had my first consultant appointment at 16 weeks.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I'm being consultant lead because I had preclampsia and high blood pressure with my son at the end of my pregnancy. I saw my consultant this tuesday just gone so just over 15 weeks. I then see her at 24 weeks when she wants to scan me then 28 and 32 and maybe 36 i cant remember. Each time they want to scan me too. So 23 weeks sounds very late to me? I've had one already xx

This sounds more reasonable ie the first appt to discuss your details nice n early n then other appts later on and scans etc. I just wanted to make sure I'm
Not jumping the gun but Monday ill call my midwife and if no joy ill call the consultants team n won't quit until I get an earlier appt.

I'm a hormonal sick pregnant woman (lol) they HAVE TO listen! :))

This sounds more reasonable ie the first appt to discuss your details nice n early n then other appts later on and scans etc. I just wanted to make sure I'm
Not jumping the gun but Monday ill call my midwife and if no joy ill call the consultants team n won't quit until I get an earlier appt.

I'm a hormonal sick pregnant woman (lol) they HAVE TO listen! :))

Yes definitely phone I hope you get an earlier appointment 14 weeks is a very long time away isnt it :/ xx

16 weeks I saw mine for raised bmi and hypothyroid. Then swapped consultants when GTT raised. Seeing her every 4 weeks with growth scans.

Is consultant led mean when you are on the red path? I just had my booking in and I am on the red path due to last delivery and being induced early due to high blood pressure.

Is consultant led mean when you are on the red path? I just had my booking in and I am on the red path due to last delivery and being induced early due to high blood pressure.

Hiya, not heard of 'the red path' sounds to be like it's local terminology for something, something specifically used in your area. It might just meant consultant lead.

All it means is you and and your pregnancy aren't just managed by your midwife, you'll also be overseen my an obstetrician consultant from the hospital.

I say 'overseen' but generally they see you to discuss what complications you had in the past it may have this time (depending on reason for referral) they discuss your options and monitor you a little more frequently.

Some people only see their consultant once or a cpl times n others have to see then more frequently, again depending on reason you're deemed a higher risk

I have to see a consultant at my 20wk scan in sept. I have had to have fertility treatment to finally get my bfp so its the same lady i saw then. Im not sure if i will need to continue to see her tho or if i will just go back to mw care.

Michelle. x

I see my consultant for the first time at 20 week scan x

I saw the consultant at 14 weeks due to high blood pressure during last pregnancy and strep b during this one, took about 5 min then said doesn't need to see me again until 36 weeks just to check blood pressure!

Hi

This will be baby number 4 for me, and will 100% be consultant led care as dd1, delivered at 33wks, dd2 excess water and cotracting at 33wks and hospitalised to stop it all, dd3 waters leaking from 30wks no one would listen to me in maternity triage as I wasnt leaking infront of them?, had scan every other week from 32wks showed reduced fluid, induced & low bith weight and no fluid left!.

I saw consultant at 16wks with last daughter, then at 20wks after scan then from 30wks, but I'm going to speak to my midwife about more closer monitoring as was induced due to emergency of no fluid and dd colapsing the cord, it was horific and i dont want to go through that again.

Think it's important with previous complications to be seen early, so you can get everything of your chest and start to relax befor all the monitoring starts from 30wk+.

Hope you get it all sorted

i am the same due to low lying placenta and low birth weight but my mw ho[ping i will still get home birth or at least water birth....i hope you get yours sorted hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back