Consultant - HomeBirth

HeppiBean

Reaction score
Well, after see my consultant today I have been told I cannot have Francesca at home.

I was born with a hole in my heart which spontaneously closed when I was 4 1/2. My consultant has previously referred me for a fetal cardiac scan and a maternal heart echo to check on Francesca's heart, and my own. I am yet to have the echo but I know my heart is just fine (have had many checks done in the past to check if it was ok for scuba diving). I could not attend the fetal cardiac scan as they wanted me to go to Kings College Hospital in London... However, they had a close look at her heart at both my 22 and 29 week scans and both times said that she "appears" to be fine.

Anyway... My consultant wants a paediatrician to be present at delivery so they can whisk her away to check her heart, therefore wanting me to be in hospital. I understand that having her at home would mean this was not possible but even if I went to the hospital and they did the checks and found out she did have a hole... I do not want my newborn baby having heart surgery. They give you the option because people CAN live with holes in their heart! I would more likely go the same route as my parents did with me... If by the time she is 5 it has not closed, we'll go for the surgery... At least then you're giving her a chance...

For this reason... I WILL still be having my home birth. It is my right to make that decision. Please don't look down on me for this. x

i think you need to do what's right for you, as any extra stress on top of what you already have is only going to make the whole process of bringing her into the world harder for both you and her!

my friend was born with a hole in his heart, he didn't have surgery and it wasn't until he was 15 that they said he may need it in the future and to monitor any breathlessness ect, as far as i'm aware he still hasn't needed surgery and he'll be 24 next month! i do also understand that every case is different and that many people do need surgery sooner rather than later!

wishing you all the best with your home birth, and hoping Francesca is nice and healthy :) xxx

quick question who will be with you if they have said no as a midwife wont attend because the consultant as said no only other option is paying alot out for a private mw or doing it alone

The decision whether or not to have a home birth rests with the mother, and no-one else. The decision is hers alone. Midwives, GPs or obstetricians have no authority to agree or deny anyone a home birth, they are there to ADVISE. Whether or not you accept their advice is entirely up to you. Some women have been told that it is 'illegal' to give birth at home. This is untrue.

In order to justify an attempt to refuse a woman a home birth some women are told that they are 'high-risk', for example, they may have had a previous caesarean section. If you are classed as 'high-risk' you can ask the doctor or midwife to put in writing precisely why s/he considers you to be so. It is not uncommon for women to be labelled as 'high-risk' as an excuse for urging a hospital birth and it is important to establish what the risks are perceived to be. However, even if a doctor has defined your pregnancy as 'high risk' you are still entitled to midwifery care and to have your baby at home if you wish.

Quote from the AIMS website... As I said... There to advise only.

'While the employed midwife has a contractual duty to her employer, she also has a professional duty to provide midwifery care for women and would not wish to leave a woman in labour at home unattended, thus placing her at risk at a time when competent midwifery care is essential'.'

Good on you. I'm totally for home births if the mother wants one, and I intend to have one too. Sounds like you've totally researched everything and know what your talking about esp if there are any problems with your baby's heart you already know your options and a lot about the subject. Like you say it's every womens right to make the choice she wants. Really hope it works out for you.

Good for you if it makes giving birth less stressfull for you then thats what matters. No one will judge you.

Good on you. Its what you want and what you feel happy with. Don't let anyone tell you different!xx

a dont knowhow works were u are but in scotland if they tell u u cant have homebirth for certain reasons they dont provide u wit midwife at home ithappened to friend of mine she decided at very end go hospital x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back