Compensation - would you accept this?

jenna

Reaction score
I did a post a while back about this. Anyway, i bought some chocolate coverd peanuts from a shop in scarborough when i went for a day out with my mum and dad. On the way home i found a maggot had eaten holes in them and left behind some white gooy stuff and was actually still alive in the sealed packet.

I sent a letter and the maggot sweets back to the head office of the shop. I have recieved a voucher for there store worth £10!!

to be honest i dont think its fair because the sweets which i sent them cost me £4 and i wont eat anything i buy from them anyway now. If it was a cheque then i would possibly accept it.

What do you think?

Definitly not! Why would you ever want to eat thier stuff again, yuck even the thought of it would put me off! :puke:

We got some chicken and chips from a local KFC ripoff shop last year and when I took a bite into the chicken it had what looked to me like a chicken brain in it - put me off that place for life!

You stick to your guns girl, send the voucher back with a very stroppy letter and demand they compensate you with a cheque!

Good luck!

Jax x

these things happen at least they sent something,, other companies may have just ignored you, its not really there fault its the factory where they are made....

Why not put the voucher in somebodies card for christmas. You don't have to spend it, but the shop still pay.

tracyM said:
Why not put the voucher in somebodies card for christmas. You don't have to spend it, but the shop still pay.

well thats another reason why im wondering to accept it or not. I live in sheffield and bought the peanuts in scarborough. As far as i know they only have a shop in scarbough and london possibly but they dont have one in sheffield so i couldnt use it unless i went there anyway!

definitely don't accept it - or give it to anyone else (unless you really don't like them ! :lol: )
i would send it back with a stroppy letter and tell them you're thinking about telling your local paper or getting in touch with watchdog

No way hun, these things happen because the quality contol at the factory is s***

I would have sent them straight to enviromental health

Did you send the whole lot back?
If so you are a bit stuck

I would deff send voucher back with a letter saying you will never buy from them again and would much prefer a cheque

Also keep any letters/emails they send you

I would not accept £10 at all. I'd be totally disgusted if i found a maggot and would expect some real compensation that i could actully use. Lets face it your never gonna want to eat anything from them ever again are you.

watchdog? they deal with murderers and widestream rip off merchants taking away millions of pounds from ppl..can you imagine the reconstruction video of "maggot in the peanuts" :rotfl:

i have some really good clear pictures of the sealed packet, treats, maggot and recept if thats any good? I had to send them back because they insisted that they were inspected by the company. :shock:

I know that you get maggots in chestnuts and stuff like that but you would have thought theyd check the nuts before covering them in chocolate! Its not like i bought just plain ones. :puke:

I bought some from another shop a week later and couldnt bring myself to eat them the thought made me gip! So theres no way id even think of buying something from that paticular shop again!

I definetly would not accept that jenna. That's disgusting! :puke:

I agree with what Jo said. Send the voucher back, and threaten them with trading standards or something similar.

I definitely would not accept it. Like you still want to eat something from their shop :roll:
Get in touch with the environmental health. They should investigate how the maggot got there. I used to run a bakery and once a small larvae worm (dead) was found it the bottom of a uncooked frozen roll. There was an investigation involving the company I worked for and the company who supplied the roll.
Good luck!

What was the sweet shop?

I think a cheque for £10 would be more acceptable, but a voucher is useless to you as a) you're probably never going to shop there again due to such a bad experience first time around! and b) you are nowhere near the shop to actually spend the thing.

Under the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 you are entitled to a refund (NOT a gift voucher) as the goods were not of satisfactory quality so you should at least push for that!

I would also send your evidence to their local environmental health officer.

LBxx

cassi :rotfl:
maybe not watchdog then!!!!

but years ago my mum found a beetle cooked in to a breadroll. she reported to EHO and the company got taken to court and had to pay a fine.
but mum got no compensation herself.
i once complained about a tin of dog food and they sent me a £30 postal order, so really to be fair you should get more for human food

I absolutely would not accept it.

Why on earth would you want a voucher to buy more 'maggot chocolate' in the shop? :?

This is a difficult one. I would definitely write to them and thank them for voucher but explain that you will not be visiting shop in future due to
a) distance
b) due to what has happened

However, I am not sure whether you would receive any more than a 10.00 cheque and I am not sure whether they actually have to give you anything other than a "goodwill gesture". You could complain to trading standards but that will not get you any more compensation but might bring them some hassle.

I would imagine that it would be a "your word against theres" kind of scenerio and as long as this is a "one off" they will probably get away with it.

Unfortunately there are people who put things like glass in a product they have bought and then go back and complain hoping that they will get something for doing that. Those sort of people reallly spoil it for the likes of you who have a genuine complaint.

Was it a brand or the shops own ? if it was a brand then it isnt the shops fault and you should take it up with the manifacturer.
£10 voucher is a p*ss take, def at least state you want a cheque and explain why

i think you could get a LOAD of compensation, threaten to go to the sun. You could be one of those people that has their photo taken holding the sweets in one hand and pointing at them with the other whilst doing the "i'm disgusted" look!

Go for more!

I got £25 once off Primark coz I wrote to say our local store was like a "jumbe sale"- it was always messy when I went in :rotfl: I was delighted!!

£ 10 doesnt sound a lot really for maggot choc...we found a dead caterpillar in a chic salad sandwich a while ago :shock: , rang the supermarket and they said they would sent us a voucher, we never got it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back