Baby Grace Elizabeth's Birth Story

Bella2

Reaction score
Given Grace is now almost 5 weeks old thought it was about time I write my birthing story! Here it is...

Contractions started as mild period pains at around 3am, although all in my back. Wasn’t really sure if it was the start of something but they did seem to come and go. Didn’t bother waking OH as I wanted him to get all the sleep he could get if I was in labour and also I still wasn’t sure that I was! When he woke at 7am I was still having the pains but told him to go to work and it could take hours.

Around 9am I had a shower and when I got out and went to the loo lost my mucus plug so was convinced at that point things were definitely happening. Called OH who came home from work and sat rubbing my back everytime I got a contraction. As luck would have it the midwife was due in to see me that day so OH called her and she came round at around 12:30pm. After examining me she told me I was 2cms dilated so advised I wait at home until contractions got a little more regular. By 1:30pm they were coming every 3mins, managed to hold off going to the hospital until 3pm. We picked mum up on the way. By this time I was having difficulty walking so had to use a wheelchair to take me up to the maternity wards.

When we arrived I was the only one in labour so got given a lovely big room with a massive bath in. Upon examination I was 3cms dilated and baby was still lying on her side which was what was causing all the back pain. They decided to get me in the bath floating on my front to try and encourage her to turn. Found it quite relaxing, had gas and air and the bath was filled with aromatherapy oils, also had relaxing music playing. Felt my waters go while I was in the water. Got out of the bath once contractions got stronger, and from then on was in every position imaginable to try to push her out!

Mum and OH were fantastic, holding my hand and massaging my lower back. Tried the TENS machine but really didn’t find it effective so asked them to take it off. Took 2 & a half hours to push baby out, unbeknown to me the heart rate kept dropping. OH said at one point it went right down to 90bpm so they brought it one of the big monitors on wheels, got me back on the bed (I had been squatting) and put straps around my belly. Once I changed position baby’s heart rate came back up. In the end I gave up with the gas and air aswell as it seemed to be slowing up the process so went full steam ahead with no pain relief :cheer:

Baby Grace Elizabeth was finally born at 10:16, weighing 6 pounds 6 ounces and 10 days early. After having her I needed a few stitches as I tore but they injected me so didn’t feel a thing. Gave Grace a bottle as I was too exhausted to breast feed but started with the breastfeeding the following day. Grace was very cold so she had to go under a heat lamp for about 20 minutes, meanwhile I had a bath and then OH and Mum dressed Grace ready for her first night. We got discharged from hospital at 4pm the following day and came home ready to start our new life together as a little family :family:

Last edited:
Aw - brilliant birth story and well done you! No pain relief! :)
Congrats again xxx

Great story, and many Congratulations on the birth of Grace :)

Lovely birth story, congratulations Hun x

Aw fab story Bella, congrats again. Love her name, it's exactly what we've got as our number 1 for a girl. :love:

x x

Last edited:
Only just seen this, what a great birth story hun, you did amazing :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27