Baby Theo - long story

Cazzlou

Reaction score
Ok so here goes the birth story of Theo. long story and just the basics really.
A bit of background, had a scan at 36 weeks which showed the growth had shot off the chart and was off the scale for dates for abdominal circumference. I saw a stand in consultant who didn’t even look at notes and said he would leave me 2 weeks over due date if needed.

I spoke to midwife and showed her the results which then resulted in a GTT test at 37 weeks which showed I had GD. So moved to another consultant.
Wednesday 25th went to see new consultant when I was 38+2 weeks gestation and she performed a sweep and advised I was 2 cm dilated, booked me in for induction on the 26th.
26th Jan off I go to the labour ward for induction. Had the prostin pessary inserted at lunchtime and was left with that and monitored regularly which showed tightenings. This prostin was to stay for 24 hrs so cue extreme boredom sat waiting and wandering around the ward. Didn’t get much sleep at all this night.

27th Jan – the prostin was removed at approx 13:00 and I was checked to be 3cm dilated so they were happy to pop my waters. Midwife did another sweep and then went on her way to get a delivery room allocated and midwife. I was moved to delivery room at around 14:00 and introduced to my delivery midwife Ruth who was lovely. She did all the paperwork and connected me to the heart monitor.
14:30 she came ready with the hook to burst my waters. Omg it was painful, I was then confirmed as being 4cm dilated and she burst the waters. It felt like I had loads of fluid. She said if by 3pm no pains she would put the drip in to get contractions. Off she went to sort things out and everytime I moved the waters gushed, I stood up they went everywhere I kept going to the loo with dh following with incontinence pads, all he could say was 'it stinks’ this made me laugh so sat on the edge of the bed I started laughing and they kept gushing more and more which made me laugh more. Anyway the contractions kicked in and were strong and 2 mins apart at this point but I got up and wandered about tried to keep moving. Midwife came back and carried on with her paperwork and at 4pm I said I needed pain relief, off she went to get some pethadine and gave me the gas and air. She did the pethadine injection, I asked how long til it kicked in as contractions were constant.

At 4:10 I needed to push! I told her and she checked and yep i was ready to go. She buzzed for the other midwife and at the same time was plugging in a resuscitation machine and getting the monitor reset along with other things but I had to push. I was pushing away and suddenly all hell broke loose in the room. Additional midwifes were here along with doctors, I had no idea what was going on. I was told to push and not stop. Suddenly they were asking Nathan to hit the panic button, then the room filled with about 15people then they were shouting for a specific doctor, the room had anaesthetists, paediatrics, scbu nurses, theatre staff, midwifes and consultants. i was pushing and they then whipped out a giant needle followed by a scalpel and cut me to help his head out. I was given 3 pushes to get his headout as his heartrate was dropping too low, one doc ran to theatre to prep for the second time. I got his head out at 16:43 the midwife had to put her hand in to get the cord from round his neck, the next thing they dropped the bed, put the stirrups on and put my legs up to my neck, I had to push when they said, suddenly two doctors appeared at each side and forced onto my stomach extreme pressure which was to dislodge him from my pubic bone as he was stuck, they pushed while a midwife had to push her hand in to try pull his shoulder out. All this happening while Nathan was in charge of the panic button for them. At 16:47 they pulled Theo out, a lifeless grey baby with no response. He was quickly put onto resuscitation table with three paediatricians working on him, I remember all I kept doing was looking over asking what was happening, was he ok. I knew something was wrong, I knew it didn’t look good. I was told his heart beat was good he just needed some help. Nathan could see it all but I couldn’t and he tried to stop me looking but his face told it all.
After what seemed a lifetime he gurgled and they got him breathing. His oxygen levels weren’t good. They handed him to Nathan for a cuddle and to show me but soon took him off us to take to scbu. Three consultants were concentrating on me while another tried 5 times to get a vein on my hand for a drip. Eventually the aneasthatist stepped in and found one. I was then wheeled to theatre where I needed stitches as I had a 3rddegree tear along with the cut to repair. The blood in the room was extreme they were constantly trying to mop it up.

Off I went to theatre and Nathan had to go collect Becki to take her to his dads. He was told I would be gone an hour then on a ward and Theo was in scbu which was near the ward.
I was in theatre for 2hrs before being moved to a recovery room. Nathan came back and went to scbu as I was in theatre still. They gave him a card and photo of Theo who was in an incubator and had a feeding tube as they hadn’t been able to get a vein on his hands to help get his blood sugar levels up.

I was eventually put to a ward to allow the spinal to wear off and then I would be able to go to scbu. Just after midnight I went to scbu where he was in a normal cot and waiting to be fed so I was able to feed him.They had to monitor his blood sugars and once his readings remained good he would be allowed back to me. This happened in the early hours of the morning.
It felt so good to have him with me and be able to hold him. His little hands and feet took days to get colour as they were so blue.

We eventually got out of hosp on the Sunday night, he has to have physio on his shoulder and a review by the cardiologist as he has a slight heart murmour.
If you watched OBEM Last week they were very calm in the same situation – ours was very panicked with 20 people in the room but they knew what they were doing and he's here now.
Sorry it’s a long one – got a bit carried away with the full story. .

Last edited:
You were a very brave lady and sounds like you did everything possible to get Theo out. Can't believe that the first consultant you mentioned was gonna let you go overdue and you had GD!!!!
I wish you and your lovely family all the best xxx

Glad all was well in the end but good lord what a scary one!! Hope you are enjoying being quiet together at home after all that drama. xxx

What a birth story, I had my had over my mouth in shock and tears running down my face as I read that.
I'm so glad you are both ok, you are so brave xx

So glad all turned out well in the end. Sounds like such a scary experience but little theo sounds amazing.

:hug:

Thanks ladies I wasn't going to post it but someone said i should as it shows things can happen but the staff are fab.

Luckily my daughter was a straight forward birth lol

What an amazing story - you and DH are so brave! Glad your little man is fine and you're all at home, safe and snuggly xxxxx

Found myself holding my breath reading this, big hugs to you all and congratulations xxx

You and your OH are so brave. Glad you have a beautiful healthy LO at the end of it. xcxx

What a scary time you had, brought a tear to my eye! So glad Theo was ok. Congratulations, and wishing you a speedy recovery x

Oh bless you darling that sounded awful - im so glad you are wll well now :) xxx

well done! much have been so scary!! how much did he weigh?

Wow so glad you and him are okay! how much did he weigh?

Love his name xx

wow is all i can say. I watched the OBEM and that episode really scared me and it made us cry, i'm so glad your both ok very scary for you n DH.

Congrats on your little treasure xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back