Clean neck

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
How do you keep baby's neck folds clean?

I find it hard as Tyler has chin fat and sometimes I can only get to it if he's feeding and even then it's only sometimes. I really worry about choking him or bending his head back so I hate doing it.

Any tips??

Every day since we brought him home we wash Ocars face with cotton wool n warm water and always last I do his chin and always have. Just (gently) force the cotton wool through the chin/neck area. Now he's older Oscars neck is growing so it's easier, but before when he was a proper baby he got used to it and whenever I said let's do your chin and your neck he'd move his head up a bit so I could get in there. It was just a habit that formed from doing it every day.

We have the same problem with leandro. We kinda lift him up a bit and clean it its such a tricky area xxx

Oh Nik I know!

Maria, would you do that before his bath?? Or after?

I normally do a change after a feed (coz he normally does a poo during the feed). When he's lay down being changed I normally finish off by wiping his face, neck and hands. I find this is the easier position to get to his neck folds.

Try laying him flat and getting him to focus on a toy, then move the toy slowly up above his head so he has to look up to see it and you'll be able to clean his neck with your free hand :) x

Last edited:
We do it in the bath, when he's so relaxed and limp, you could do anything to him. But OH repeatedly said yesterday he smelled like parmesan cheese, so might have to do it more than once a day, LOL!

We do it in the bath and then i put baby powder in the crease it seems to help stop the milk sticking on as much seems to wash off easier x

No i thought the same, the first time i noticed how gross it was i thought it was just me that was a shitty mum! x

Course its not bad, Angel is quite tickly round the neck so when I top and tail her in the morning she pushes her chin right to her chest when I go near her so I've found it difficult to clean it properly. So I usually do it in the bath when I'm washnig her hair or dangle a toy so she lifts her neck up and quickly use a wipe or a damp cotton wool ball :)

I can only really get to his neck in the bath as it's easy to give it a good rinse with warm water, he has a bath everyday.

I do it twice a day, once in morning when having morning clean & once at night after bath. I find bath doesn't get all the bits out.

I cotton wool, and use a toy with the other hand to distract him, so his head is bent back. If OH or eldest LO is in, I get them to distract with toy.

:)

Oh Nik I know!

Maria, would you do that before his bath?? Or after?

Yeah always before his bath, wash face n neck and clean teeth, then bath. Evenings is same but no bath just a wash. He's had the same routine since a few weeks old.

*Apart from cleaning teeth didn't come til later lol

Last edited:
distract with a toy, and i know its not the done thing but i put a bit of talc in her neck folds as well, on a cotten ball as she got a bit of a rash there once. oops.

once they can hold their head up its not so mucky in there.

distract with a toy, and i know its not the done thing but i put a bit of talc in her neck folds as well, on a cotten ball as she got a bit of a rash there once. oops.

once they can hold their head up its not so mucky in there.

We've always used talc on Oscar, only on his bits coz his leg creases in his groin area get sore otherwise. I don't get the problem with talc, if it was that harmful I don't think they would sell it!

i think its more meant to be an issue for girls as can travel places inside and can cause fertility problems? but am sure my mum used it on me!

it really stopped the chaffing on her neck and i 'confessed' to the gp about it and she said better use that than getting a rash!

I used talc on los neck sometimes but they say not to use as when inhaled can be harmful.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I dont pour it on i put some on my hands and then rub it on her neck so it doesnt go near her lady bits... it can cause water infections in girls if you pour it onto the vagina but i dont just rub it on her body and legs with my hands... i think its all over protective because if it was so bad they wouldnt sell it as baby powder. x

Owens got a chubber neck. I just lift it up and wash it lol!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back