Routines

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Tyler is 6 weeks old exclusively BF.
I was told by my midwife that you can't spoil a baby up to 6 weeks and after then they become smart and cry to get attention etc.

I've been feeding Tyler on demand and we have a routine at night.

Basically every other day or so we give Tyler a bath (not every day yet as we've not worked the timings out so sometimes he's nor full enough and cries others he's the perfect baby) he sits on the sofa with me feeding and drifting in and out of sleep, then at 9pm I take him into the bedroom, put him in his grobag lay on the bed and feed him until he falls asleep between 930-10ish then put him in his basket.

What should we be doing in the daytime?

In the morning he gets up about 630 feeds then goes back to sleep for about 30-45 mins wakes up has another feed then at around 830 goes back to sleep.

After that we just wing it a bit!

Hope all that makes sense?

Any ideas?

I say just carry on as you are tbh. I never had a set routine for the day at all. I also dont think a 2 month old cries for attention :/ Thats a really odd comment from a midwife.

I bottle fed my LO but I always demand fed her and eventually it all just settled into a routine but not until she was about 3/4 months and even then it was hit and miss lol.

I was wondering same kinda thing tbh O def cries for attention now lol!

He has a routine at night as in bath at 8.30 bottle then bed and then wakes at 4am and then 7.30 ish but the day has no structure I just go by him but now he cries for attention too don't wanna over feed him but at the same time don't want him to be hungry!

( only difference to u pinky is he is ff)

I just followed my los lead iykwim and it all kind of fell into place. Continue a set bedtime and take it from there, thats what we did! At 6weeks old we never had a set routine for the day either. It was only once weaning was fully established that a 'proper' routine started iykwim.

My worry is I've been inside pretty much since he was born because I haven't been able to take my buggy down the stairs because of my section and now it's 6 weeks and want to start going out for walks baby groups etc but I don't know when would be a good time to go out?

You'll find that he'll be pretty content when just out in the pram anyway so will probably go a bit longer between feeds naturally. If he needs to feed or something then you can try and find a cafe or something to go into. I liked to go somewhere that had a mothercare as they have a feeding room. :)

Fin has a 7am-7pm routine and has a 45min nap @8.30 and then a longer lunchtime sleep 12-2 then nap 4-5 and the rest if the time is bf on demand and playing on his mat and singing and stuff. Fin does have a bath every night @6 with one boob before and one after in the darkened bedroom so he falls asleep ands knows it's time for bed. might work for Tyler? Xx

I winged it until Jack was 6 months. We started weaning at 17 weeks, slowly at first but it wasn't until he turned 6 months that I decided to try and get him into a routine. He was in a lovely routine until yesterday and he's now decided he doesn't need much sleep during the day so we've had a change of routine again!

If I were you i'd just enjoy Tyler, at his age he cries for all sorts of reasons so i'd just go with the flow because before you know it he'll be Jack's age and you'll wonder where the time has gone!! :) P.s Enjoy going for walks! x

The night bit is perfect for us ATM. He's slowly going down slightly earlier and it works as I get to go to bed early and so does OH!

Would you think as he has a sort of routine in the morning but is more mixed up in the afternoon, should I take him out in the afternoon. What worries me is being stuck somewhere where I can't feed like a short bus journey or no where near a cafe or something?

Tbh, he can wait for a feed for a bit. My SIL was breast feeding and as we got on the bus he started to whine for a feed so she just made him wait and when we got to the nursery she fed him. Same with bottle feeding. I always had to make Paige wait because I couldnt just warm up a bottle.

I found as well that I couldnt leave the house until the afternoon (and still do!) because I just couldnt get myself and baby ready quick enough! By the time Id got her ready she was asleep again so Id have to wait until she woke up and then feed her and then go out. Even now that happens and my usual time to leave the house is 1pm! It never gets easier lol.

So why do all the baby groups start at 9?!?

I was thinking that about the waiting. We went out to get his BCG the other day and he woke up and started wailing in the car so I had to give him my finger and I was saying to my MIL he's spoilt when it comes to feeds as were always at home so he gets it when he wants lol!

I understand how frustrating not having a routine feels, as you don't k ow whether to go to that class at 10, or pop for a coffee at 11. But honestly, the baby works around it all :) arthurs 7 months and has a general routine
Now, but no set timings - ie, nap 2.5-3 hours after he wakes, then lunch around 1230 then another sleep. But it depends how tired he is that day etc etc. I have a friend who has had her baby in a routine since he was 2 weeks old and he literally goes
Mental if he's not given his milk exactly on time.

I would say o
With the flow, do what ou want, go to whatever baby groups, and your baby will fit in. The amount of times I was at a baby group with Arthur asleep in the pram!!! At this age it's
More for you to chat to other mummies anyway :) xx

I only ever made it to one baby group at 9! The hv clinic is at 9:15 on a monday and I haven't been in about 6 months because it's too early lol. Although Im making the effort this monday.

I generally make sure Sophie has had a bottle and been burped before we go out so it means shes settled in her car seat/the pram. Ive found that if we are in the car or out in the pram then she will last long for a feed because she is settled and the movements soothe her. I always make sure Ive got a bottle and some formula on me just incase.

We still wing it! I just go out when i feel like normally just after he's fed so i know i have about 2 hours. Kynon don't nap really either so i font have to work that in. I go to a few things and normally just feed there if he needs it. We have a night routine though but not always strict if he wants an extra feed I don't make him wait. I don't think you can spoil babies, of course they want attention, crying is their only means of communication when they are still so little, so you carry on enjoying your cuddles and bfing on demand!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back