chicken pox!!

fairyM

Reaction score
hello, i had to write a message on here as i went to work today and someone i work with came in and said she thought she had chickenpox!...i had instant panic as i was thinking why the hell did you come in and not go straight to the doctor if you thought you had it!?...she went home after about 30 mins being at work.
I know its not good to catch chicken pox whilst you are pregnant and now i have been worried ever since.I work ina school so i have always got that risk, plus i am 25 and i ahve never had chicken pox.
I read up on it on the internet and that made me feel a bit better as apparently even if you havent had it you may be immune or may have been silently infected as a child but it never materialised(you can just be a carrier of it). The artical said even if you havent had it you would have built up 80%immunity anyway and if your 14weeks +, the chance of damage is rare and about 2% if i did catch it....Its still scarey stuff though. :( sigh

Blimey!! i hope your ok. Some people just dont think do they? theres no way id go to work if i thought id got it!! :hug: :hug:

well yes exactly, some people obviously dont have a brain.im just praying that for nearly 26yrs ive not had it and that il be damned if i get it now. I have been in contact with children b4 who have had it and have never caught it so im thinking im juust lucky.
I know there is some injection u can have but i dont want that, i dont wanna pump my body full of fake antibodies when you can still get the infection as no guarantee you wouldnt get it anyway. Im sure pumping ur body with that stuff is not healthy for a 3 and a half month fetus.Especially if i am immune to it anyway.Any how im trying to think positive. :pray:

Hey hun,

Maybe just give your midwife a quick call??

My OH's son has it at the mo and I had to ask dr if id be ok. Ive had it so its not as scary but he said I would be ok.

So maybe MW can put ur mind at rest xxx

:hug:

First of all, you are doing the right thing keeping calm about it - the chances are very slim that you won't be immune to chicken pox, and even if you're not immune, the chances of it having any effect on your baby are slimmer again.

I too had this scare earlier on in my pregnancy. I'd never had it, and someone at my work had been sent home with it.
I went to see my GP, who took bloods to test for immunity, and lo and behold, I was immune! Yay! Felt much better.
Probably best to see your midwife or GP, even if just to put your mind at rest. x

Aw you poor thing, what a dimwit she is going into work with chickenpox! I'd go see your GP and get tested for immunity hon, at least it might put your mind at rest x

I just want to reiterate the advise everyone else has offered You should get get the blood test done - just for your own peace of mind. If your GP is unsure of which blood test - just cos they don't often get asked to do it, you need to be tested for VARICELLA antibodies. Like you say - it is highly likely that you have got immunity already, but better to get the test and know for sure than have it nagging in the back of your mind for the next 20 something weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back