Pregnancy n chickenpox

lealea85

Reaction score
I need some help.
I've never had chicken pox in my life and now I'm worried as ive read baby could end up braindead Which is the worst case scenario.

My niece was with me last Saturday n only now discovered she has chickenpox.
I know it's airborn n takes a few weeks to kick up a stink n show itself.

I'm actually quite scared.
Has anyone had chicken pox in mid-pregnancy? Any advice from anyone??

Hiya...best thing u can do is contact ur mw or gp and get them to do a blood test to see if ur immune to chickenpox or not. U may already have immunity to them or have had them as a child without any symptoms xxx

I see my midwife on tue or wed so will ask her then. As I need to change my Drs as I've just moved bk to mums as my pregnancy is becoming difficult to manage without help
Thanks hun

Lacey had chicken pox at the start of the pregnancy so I asked my mw and she said its dangerous if you've never had it if your in tri 1 or the last week of pregnancy or have just given birth! I think it's ok if your in tri 2 x x

Did you have chicken pox when you were younger? If you had there's no chance you can get it again. You could get shingles but that's not supposed to be dangerous for baby. There's lots of info on the NHS direct site. I was reading up on it a few weeks ago as there was a chance a friends little girl could've had it (thankfully she didn't) talk to your midwife though Hun.

If you have had blood tests already they can check that. My mil had shingles while I was pregnant, I rang the hospital who checked my records and confirmed I was immune to it.

Hope everything is ok x

Emma x

I've had measles but never chicken pox. I'm not worried about myself per say
Its more about Elijah. I'm worried for him if I get it.
I will check out thev Nhs site. Thanks ladies xxx

loads of kids around here have got chicken pox so i looked into it, if you look on the nhs website it gives you some details on there but i doesn't seem too bad fo baby mainly for mother, you need to have blood checked and they can tell you if you are immune, if you do catch it then chances of something happening is minimul from what it sounded like its mainly a problem if you late on cause baby could be born with them. also in my pregnancy notes there is a tiny section about chicken pox I will put it down here for you incase you dont have it in your notes

chicken pox The effects of this are more severe if caught in pregnancy. It can cause problems in baby if caught before 20 weeks and can be passed to the baby if caught within 10 days of the birth. You cannot get chickenpox twice.

Phew that's a slight relief as I'm over 20 weeks.
I will ask my midwife to do a test for me.

You have all been so helpful thank you xxxx

I've never had chicken pox either and I got really worried as someone I was working with had them (and she still came to work which as I work in a cafe isn't really good but hey) but when my bloods came back it turned out that I was immune to them which was a releif :D I'm sure you'll be fine!

xxx

I've had measles but never chicken pox. I'm not worried about myself per say
Its more about Elijah. I'm worried for him if I get it.
I will check out thev Nhs site. Thanks ladies xxx

Sorry Hun I didn't read your first post properly! Duh! You already said you've never had chicken pox. I'm so scatty lol.

Looool it's ok.
I blame pregnancy cos I misread everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back