• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can you overfeed a Breastfed baby?

Zodiac

Reaction score
My LO is putting on weight like no ones business and is now on the 96th centile of his weight chart.

When he feeds he's a total guzzler and initially sucks franatically, then may have a rest still latched on before somemore regular sucking. He stays on for anywhere between 10-30mins before coming off (either lets go or falls asleep).

He's 11weeks old now (but was premature - so 5 weeks corrected) and feeds every 2-4hours.

He sometimes has a sore tummy, in so much that he strains a lot as if wanting to poo, but doesn't (he only really poo's maybe twice a day)

Could I be overfeeding him? :( What happens if he goes off the weight scale?

short answer is no-breastfed babies will feed till they are full and if fed on demand will eat only that they need. It is normalfor breastfed babies to gain a lot of weight in the beginning, it tends to tailoff as they get bigger. Yesterday when Cally was weighed she went from the 75th centileto the 91st and she is doing great.

however babies love to suck and it may be that he is comfort suckling, this is ot a bad thing but if it is something you don't want you can introduce a dummy after 6 weeks. Also maybe get your latch checkedout, make sure they are in the right osition and are able to get to all the hind milk (though I don't think there is a problem with this in your case). Is he getting a sore tummy, trouble with wind or is he having a lot of green watery poo? This could be a sig of overfeeding and him getting too much foremilk.

Kina, Urchin and Midna have also got fab breastfed babies who were on the high centiles. I have met Kina's and Urchin's childre and they are no way overweight.

short answer is no-breastfed babies will feed till they are full and if fed on demand will eat only that they need. It is normalfor breastfed babies to gain a lot of weight in the beginning, it tends to tailoff as they get bigger. Yesterday when Cally was weighed she went from the 75th centileto the 91st and she is doing great.

however babies love to suck and it may be that he is comfort suckling, this is ot a bad thing but if it is something you don't want you can introduce a dummy after 6 weeks. Also maybe get your latch checkedout, make sure they are in the right osition and are able to get to all the hind milk (though I don't think there is a problem with this in your case). Is he getting a sore tummy, trouble with wind or is he having a lot of green watery poo? This could be a sig of overfeeding and him getting too much foremilk.

Kina, Urchin and Midna have also got fab breastfed babies who were on the high centiles. I have met Kina's and Urchin's childre and they are no way overweight.

In my experience, if babies overfeed then the excess milk will come straight back up again :lol: Ella fed for 30 mins last night, after being on my other boob!! Sounds perfectly healthy to me, hun.

My midwife asked if I was over feeding lil miss with formula... she didn't even fit on the highest end of the charts...above and beyond the 96th centile... she was shocked when I told her she was exclusively breast fed...she said I must produce full fat cream :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: While Serena's weight is back on the last line of the chart... her height is still off it...but then DH is tall...but in short you can't over feed a breast fed baby. Your body produces what the need and when the take too much it just comes straight back up again... :rotfl:

Yeh Alex is a hefty thing too, and he doesn't even eat solids - he refuses everything but breastmilk! He weighs a bloody ton - you'd think he was chowing down on cake three times a day!

A breastfed baby, fed on demand takes as much as it needs.
You can't overfeed a booby baby when they are in charge :D

Weights vary a lot actualy, theres a lot of slim lean babies and lots who are chunkier,my Oli was slim until she was about 2 months.

Please don't worry, also make sure you have the right chart as the charts used nowadays are for formula children.

:hug:

Thanks ladies... it's always reassuring to hear from other mums with LO's going through the same as yourself.

Being a first time mum is sooooo scary sometimes, you need constant reassurance that you're doing the best for your baby. So thank you :cheer:

My greedy little breastfed babe is a skinny boy! He feed LOADS and is still lean but as long as they are happy regardless of being heavy or skinny i wouldnt worry. Your HV would point it out if they were too heavy or light, its their job.... here he is the skinny little man....

MorganFinlay30032008004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back