Cats?

Happy_Frog

Reaction score
Hi all,

Might seem a strange question, but do any of you ladies have cats? And are you worried about it?

I have 2 cats, and I've never had any problems with either of them. Both well behaved, house trained and all that I could ask for in my pets. But since I got pregnant, I've had a constant stream of 'advise' from all sides! My family all think that the cats will be dangerous to a baby, and that I'll need to buy a 'cat net' for the cot. Apparently, cats climb into cots and prams and things, and then try to snuggle up to the baby, and end up smothering it!!!!!!

Now personally, I can't belive that. Since they mentioned it, I've been looking everywhere for the cat net thing to keep them out, and have only managed to find it on sale direct from the NCT, no other baby shop has it, or anything similar. Since statistically cats are in more than half of all British households, and babies are not rare, I would have thought that if this was a real problem it'd be more on sale. As soon as I told my doctor I was pregnant, he asked 'have you got a cat?', and went straight on to warn me about not cleaning the litter tray anymore, but no one else has mentioned these cat nets.

Obviously, I'm a little worried about it, I mean, what if I ignore this advise and it was true? I could not live with myself if I let my kittens smother the baby!!! But surely it'd be more widely publicised if it was common?

Any thoughts ladies?

on the mothercare website if you look under pushchair sccessories there is a cat net for £4.99!!!

When i had my daughter i was living with my parents who had a cat and the cat couldn't careless about the baby!! She only sat in her bouncer if Lacey wasn't in it!! As long as you don't leave the baby unattended in the same room as the cat, i'm sure they won't be a problem!!

I have a cat and I am not at all worried about him. I will not be bothering with a cat net, we've already taught him not to get in the Moses basket or pram and will teach himm the same regarding the cot. He's inquisitive but we let him smell and explore all the baby things. He's such a laid back cat and didn't bother with DD when she was little. He doesn't get his claws out and is generally a soft arse (unless you happen to be a mouse). I've heard ridiculous 'advice' and am ignoring it. People hate cats for one reason or another but as long as you're sensible and don't leave the cats alone with the baby (or any animal for that matter) then there shouldn't be a problem. I love dogs and cats and think that the horror stories people hear or are in the news always have 'the baby was left alone for a minute' somewhere in them. It is never IMHO safe to leave a baby alone with any animal. I will not be getting rid of my cat and I will be ignoring anyone who tells me different.

Im getting a catnet for the pram but only cuz i dont want Marley to lay in it atall! So i will have the cat net on it when it stands indoors. But she wont be aloud in the bedroom when we are sleeping and daytime i just keep a close eye on her.

As for the littertray.. i still clean it for the reason i live on my own so noone else can do it. But i also read that you can only get that thing (dont know what its called) once in your life and have you had cats then you have prob had it and it wont affect your LO. Im still careful and wash my hand properly after.

The bacteria from the litterbox isnt really a concern for me with my cat. I was told if you have had the cat for longer than 6 months (As you will have built up an immunity by then), Its an indoor cat, and its fully vaccinated, There is no risk of it carrying the bacteria, As they pick it up from birds/mice when they hunt.

i have 4 cats and wont even be getting a cat net i think it an old wives tale about the cat smothering thing i do have a water sprayer which i will use if i want to keep them away from baby chairs etc

We have 2 cats and did buy a cat net (although I have never used it). Instead we always kept the bedroom door closed at night so there was no chance of them jumping in there. I have to say that our cats where so scared of our son that it took them about 9 months to go anywhere near him.

Recentley one of them has become very fond of him and has jumped in the cot with him a few times. And although I'm not worried about my son anymore (he can certainly defend him self againts them now...) I will have to keep a close eye on the new baby.

Again, I back up what the others have said. I've also got four cats and am not in the slightest bit worried. I'll just use a bit of common sense by keeping them out of the bedrooms etc, and washing my hands like I do anyway after feeding etc...
Enjoy your cats and your baby and don't get freaked out by what you hear xxx

we have an indoor cat and we have started not letting him upstairs at all since finding out we were pregnant and he's slowely learning and i'll keep a close eye on him when he's down stairs i think a mosquita net is just as good as it will deter a cat from jumping and you can obviously use it for its proper purpose xx

I have an adorable little puss cat and there is nothing in the world that could make me get rid of him. We wont be having baby in our room at all when it is born so we don't need to worry about night times and as long as bubs is not left alone when cat is in the house I don't forsee a problem. My cat is such a coward anyway, he runs away from anyhting or anyone he doesnt know. As bubs gets older no doubt they will be firm friends but whilst it is making all that noise and wriggling around so much, he wont go near it XD

What will most probably happen is I will get up to feed bubs during the night and the cat will curl up in my space on the bed!

xxxx

Thanks for all the replies ladies, nice to know its not just me!
While I do agree with most of you on the 'not leaving baby alone with animals', it is the overnight sleeping arrangements that concern me the most. I don't want to shut Baby Squishy in a room alone, but I don't want to shut the cats out of our room either. Both cats have always had free run of the house, (barring jumping on the kitchen tables and dinner table and such), and both are accustomed to sleeping on our bed. If I suddenly shut them out, they'll cry and scratch at the door, and may become jealous of the baby. Also, one of the cats uses our bedroom window as a cat flap (yes, even though it is on the 1st floor! He's a spider cat), so if we shut him out of our room he won't be able to get in or out.

we've already taught him not to get in the Moses basket or pram and will teach himm the same regarding the cot. He's inquisitive but we let him smell and explore all the baby things.
I was planning to do much the same thing to be honest. I always think it is better to train an animal not to do something, rather than physically stop them from doing it. That way, if I ever forgot to shut the door one night if I'm exhausted, it won't matter, as the cats will be familiar with it anyway.

Last edited:
we have a soppy cat! he sleeps on our bed every night but in a few weeks we are going to close the bedroom door so he doesn't associate the stopping sleeping in our bed with baby. then when baby eventually goes into nursery in a few months he'll probably be allowed back in. Only thing I do worry about is that he is so so vocal, he cries to say hi and for attention and food every time he comes in the cat flap (esp at 6 am!) we kinda thought it was cute when he was little and miaowed back at him, so there's not much we can do about it now!! Really hope he doesnt wake baby up doing it!! Although baby must be pretty used to it by now having heard the cat every day in the womb!

We have been etaching him not to go in cot on in baby things and dont think we will be buying a cat net.

My sister has been living with us and she has a house cat, and Im not worried to be honest. I keep my bedroom door closed all the time now (the cat did tend to take a liking to the moses basket lol) and she wont be allowed in there at all at night.

The only thing I am concerned about is shes a hunter through and through lol, so likes to chase things and go for them. So were teaching her that going for limbs of any kind is not good lol. Sounds like basic training for a cat but she'll go for anything! Shes only about 10 months old, and if you tap your hand on the sofa, even without noticing, you'll find yourself with a cat attached to your hand!

Ive heard those horror stories too!
My boys are Burmese and as a breed are supposed to be great with children of all ages....
They do love to be warm and snuggle so I wouldnt put it past them to try and get snuggled with baby.
I do have a cot net but do worry about leaving doors open or having a nap while baby does and forgetting the cats might try and get in with baby. I think just keep an eye on things and make sure cats cant get in with bubs when sleeping

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back