Cats

annem

Reaction score
Hi, i do not personally have cats but my friends and family do. I just read a really worrying article on having cats that can affect the baby, does anyone have any info? i spend quite a bit of time with them!! x

If the cat has been fully vaccinated, shouldn't be a problem but if you are that worried, just make sure you don't put your hands and such in your mouth after touching the cat and try to keep cat fur to a min.

Hi, do you mean while you are pregnant or after you have the baby?

We had cats the last time I was pregnant and was told not to clean their litter in case of toxoplasmosis.

After the baby was born I was worried about stories I'd heard about cats suffocating babies and had nets everywhere but ours kept well away through choice and we never had a problem.

Hth

:hug:

i'm pregnanct and feel terrible as i have been around kittens and cats. i do wash my hands a lot but it does worry me!!

how many weeks are you and im sure everything will be fine. long as u wash your hands thoughily dont do litter trays should be fine

It's only changing litter trays that's a problem, and that's only if they're carrying toxiplasmosis and you don't have the antibodies naturally so there's only a slim chance that it will affect you anyway! I have a cat and had him the whole time I was pregnant, and I've got a lovely healthy boy.

I wouldn't worry hun. :hug:

I forgot to say, it's only a problem if you actually catch toxiplasmosis and you'd know if you had it's like food poisoning/flu symptoms for a few days.

maybebaby said:
It's only changing litter trays that's a problem, and that's only if they're carrying toxiplasmosis and you don't have the antibodies naturally so there's only a slim chance that it will affect you anyway! I have a cat and had him the whole time I was pregnant, and I've got a lovely healthy boy.

I wouldn't worry hun. :hug:

thank you so much, you have made me feel so much better!! i was ready to go for blood tests and everything!!

i have never worried so much as i have since finding out i was expecting!!

It's crazy the thoughts that go through your head!! Thanks again your a star! x x x x x

wait till your babys born too worrying dont stop at pregnancy :)

think we gotta be careful what we do pregnant then were so into it were careful when they born too :)

did u tell him off for doing it in the sink?

cant he used the shower or will that be the same thing?

There are risks with cats, and i had a very hairy persian which I gave to a close friend who lives close by. Hygiene is really important where animals are concerned, and also my friend had a cat that got very jealous when she gave birth so she gave it away for fear it might harm the baby when her back was turned.

I have 4 cats and have never had a problem with them. Its just a matter of good hygiene, and as maybebaby said if you have had cats for a while chances are you are immune Just avoid changing litter tray, or if you can't wear gloves and wash hands thoroughly. Mine are now Sere's best friends.

thanks for all your advise, i'm trying to stay away from cats but all m friends have them!! they seem to love me more now than ever. However i grew up with cats so hopefully all will be fine, i have read about blood tests to see if you have caught anything from your cats however i think my doctor and midwife are getting a little bored of me!! x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back