Anyone have cats?

OverTheMoon

Reaction score
I have two kittens/cats (8 months old) they are both boys and very very boisterous. When they are not being boisterous they love to sit on my lap for a cuddle. I'm a bit concerned about when the baby comes, mainly worried about them jumping into the crib and suffocating the baby. Does anyone have any experience with babies and cats? I can't bear to get rid of them i have also been wondering if you can buy something to go over the crib to stop the cats from getting in... would be grateful for any advice please.

I had 3 cats when I had my first two. I bought a net for the crib just in case but to be honest the cats were never interested all the time the babies were in there........didn't want to share I guess!!

The only thing I will say is that you should not be coming into contact with cat poo when you are pregnant (but you probably know that) so if you have a litter tray give that nice job to someone else!!!

We had no problems at all with our 3 cats and our babies, a lot of it is common sense like not leaving the cats and the sleeping baby in a room together etc.

Hope this has put your mind at rest a bit.

Much love

Thanks for the advice, by the way where did you get your net thing from? Unfortunately I have no choice but to deal with the litter tray as my hubby works away, but I have a cupboard full of disposable gloves so I'm alright!
I hope my kittens follow in yours footsteps and aren't that interested in the baby. Cat hairs freak me out too at the moment (they are long haired and their hair gets everywhere) - its funny I've gone into manic cleaning mode and am tempted to shave the cats (only joking!) :lol:

They do say that children that grow up in houses with animals have much better immune systems than those that don't due to the fact that they get exposed to more germs etc, so there is a real possitive side to have your cats.

Try this link for nets, there are all different kinds and they aren't too expensive either:

For Link Click Here

Much love

Sorry Kerry, I had to edit your long link, it was stretching the page! :wink:
Laura B
Admin

I have a cat, but as she's blind I don't anticipate her being too much of a problem as she won't be able to see to jump up!

Saying that I will be careful not to leave the cat alone in the room with the baby as I wouldn't leave any animal cos you can never be too sure.

Like everyone says don't leave the baby and the cats unnattended together. And you just have to teach them not to jump in the crib. When you get the crib set up let them near it and sniff it but if they jump into it tell them no and put them out. As for the litter the disposable gloves is a good idea but also you need to wear something over your mouth and nose too as changing litter kicks up a lot of dust you could breath in. Also don't let your cats go outside, they stay much cleaner when they stay inside. I have two and they were my would before I found out I was preggers so I would never even think about getting rid of them, they were there first.

My kittens are like teenagers, you tell them NO and they do it all the more. They are VERY cheeky. They don't go outside yet but once I've moved up to bonnie Scotland I will let them out, maybe the fresh air and all the open space will chill them out a bit!
(Ronnie and Reggie are their names, and GOD were they apt!!! :D )

Some friendly advice, just wait until after you have your baby to let them go outside. Its not the indoor environment that exposed the cats to toxoplasmosis its being outside that does.

I have an adorable kitty who was my first child and I would never dream of getting rid of her. She is an indoor cat (we live near a very busy street) but the doctor said that the toxoplasmosis is in the poop so I don't go near the litter box (it's the least my hubby can do considering that I am currently growing his child) Definitely use the gloves and a face mask is a good idea. I do worry about the cat germs. I clean and vaccum the house everyday and always wash my hands after touching the cat but her fur gets everywhere anyway. I know many many people who have cats who all had healthy babies so I tell myself not to worry so much but then I'm a worrier. As far as the crib and stuff goes I think the best thing to do is just keep the door to the nursery closed. It's probably best to not leave a baby alone with a cat anyway. Good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back