cat poo & toxo

trixipaws

Reaction score
my boyf's been doing the cat litter tray since i got pregnant coz of the toxoplasmosis risk, but he must hav forgot to do it coz one of the cats has shat on the floor :x
he's at work til 5pm i dont wanna leave it is it safe to do it or shall i call someone to ask them to do it?!

my OH is too much of a wimp to do our cat litter so ive been doing it all along (althought bending is getting very difficult now). i use rubber gloves and wash them and my hands thoroughly afterwards. if she poops over the side (she is very old :roll: ) i use the scooper or pick it up in some tissues and put it down the toilet, then wash my hands in red hot water and soap. I clean the floor (lino) with flash wipes too. OH is going to have to do it soon though because i cant bend down so well any more

i'v just cleaned it up and changed the tray, i couldnt leave it all day! i used gloves and washed my hands under the hot tap so they burned i was squealing in pain, shoulda killed any germs lol!

Hi trixipaws.

If you've got cats you're probably immune anyway.

You're OK to clean up cat poo so long as you wear gloves and makes sure you wash your hands properly afterwards.

It's obviously ideal if you can get somebody else to do it whilst your pregnant but so long as you do the above you should be OK.

Sammystar said:
Hi trixipaws.

I heard this too. If you've owned cats for some time, particularly if you have dirt trays, the risk really is very minimal.

Don't worry :hug:

Minxy said:
Sammystar said:
Hi trixipaws.

I heard this too. If you've owned cats for some time, particularly if you have dirt trays, the risk really is very minimal.

Don't worry :hug:

Yeah, once you've been exposed you don't get it again. Most people who have cats have been exposed. Apparently most people don't even know they've had it because the syptoms are just like mild flu.
I've never been exposed so my blood was tested every month throughout my pregnancies. They're very particular about stuff like that over here!

i was also told that the only real worry about it comes if the poo is over 24hrs old or if you feed your cat raw meat.

i've been changing my litter tray all the way thru this pregnancy and my last and *touch wood* haven't suffered adverse effects so far.

was just wondering tho, would i know if i had exposed the baby to it before she was born or would it be something i would find out after the baby was born, just curious as to how aware i would be.

i worked as a vet nurse throughout my preg and was changing cat littler trays daily, my little one is fine so i wouldnt worry, you are probably immune as my doctor told me.

Sammystar said:
Apparently most people don't even know they've had it because the syptoms are just like mild flu.

my boyf and i both had a cold 3 weeks ago, his was a little worse than mine, like mild flu! :shock: hope it was just a cold and we didnt have it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back