• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

valentine said:
beanie said:
she noticed his hair was like a golliwogs but failed to notice he was black - right.

I may be completely incorrect, but I heard it was Andy Murray she was talking about who is white (obviously). She was just referring to his hair not his colour. This may be untrue though and clearly, we'll never know.

Valentine Xxx

well this needs to be known as if it was Andy Murray then like I said earlier there is no rascial connotations and her dismissal just becomes farcical. If it was however the black tennis player then I wholeheartedly agree with it.

But that's not right- either saying the word golliwog is wrong or it's not.

Jade&Evie said:

no its not - calling a balck person a golliwog is wrong, calling a white person it isn't - though it is still stupid.

I think the word golliwog is racist, whether you are talking about a white mans, a black mans, a chinese mans or ANY mans hair!

The only diference if the man was white is that she was only refering to his hair and not his skin but it still makes the word golliwog racist.

beanie said:
Jade&Evie said:

no its not - calling a balck person a golliwog is wrong, calling a white person it isn't - though it is still stupid.

I agree with Jade :shock: :hug: Jade

Its the word golliwog that is in question.

blimey never thought I'd see the day ;)

I am going to have to agree to disagree though, it is an insult but nowhere near as bad an insult as it would be if she was using it to describe a black person and using it against a white person is not racist IMO, just rude and stupid.

beanie said:
blimey never thought I'd see the day ;)

I am going to have to agree to disagree though, it is an insult but nowhere near as bad an insult as it would be if she was using it to describe a black person and using it against a white person is not racist IMO, just rude and stupid.

I can see what you are saying, kind of the same as 2 black people calling themselves the 'n' word I suppose :think:

You have to agree though beanie that the word golliwog is racist.

Jade&Evie said:

I've found all of this interesting to follow. Jade really does have a point here though. Is it the word
people find offensive? If the word is deemed racist, why is it ok to refer to white man as a golliwog and not a black man?

xx

lea m said:
angelfairy said:
As I originally pointed out in my comment, I refferred to caravan site as a British way of saying trailor park - its a term commonly used in America. I in no way referred or intended to refer to gypsies or travellers.

Sorry lol not meaning to pick but its still the same! Not all people on an American trailer park are of low intelligence! They also use that term in an offensive way! If I was an American who lived on a trailer park, i would be very offended by that remark!

I never said all people that live on an American trailer park are of low intelligence, go back and read my comments Lea m. I referred to the intelligence of a trailer park not each individual that has lived on or will live on a trailer park. Lets not take things way out of context here. I was simply offering my take on the pain my father went through when he first came to this country and was in my opinion trying to bite my tongue when talking about the animals that regularly beat the crap out of him as having the intelligence of a trailer park because he was Asian and at the same time repeatedly called him a Paki. Now please don't come back to me and say that I have offended animals by comparing them to the scum that beat my father up!

Don't take my comment out of context any more than it needs to be. Racism is wrong wrong wrong and unless you have been on the receieving end of it you will never truely feel the pain.

I think the word is offensive and it doesn't matter whether the tennis player is black, white or purple. Other offensive terms such as 'nigger' or 'paki' wouldn't be seen less offensive if used for a white person, would they?

widowwadman said:
I think the word is offensive and it doesn't matter whether the tennis player is black, white or purple. Other offensive terms such as 'nigger' or 'paki' wouldn't be seen less offensive if used for a white person, would they?

Yes, I also find the word offensive regardless of the term it is used in.

xx

My BF made an interesting point. He said that whether we like it or not golliwog doll's DID exist and love them or hate them they are a 'thing', so Carol Thatcher was actually refering to a 'thing'. When you compare this to say someone calling a black person the 'n' word or an Pakistani person the 'p' word it does make it seem in a diferent context I suppose, I mean she wasn't name calling was she :think:

I guess i'm just trying to see some reasonable explaination rather than just label her a racist :think:

Jade&Evie said:
gollywog isn't a racist term- it's a toy! and YES, they are black :clap: :clap: :clap: It's PC gone mad that anything with the word black in is not PC. :roll: I'm pretty sure most black people couldn't give a flying f**k- at the end of the day it is only the colour of their skin; just like people will be compared to a carrot if they have ginger hair or an ompa lump if they have a bad spray tan!

someone said I looked like stephanie off lazy town the other day- I haven't insisted they be sacked and scrutinised by the media!

This is your first post....Jade I'm not saying the word golliwog isn't racist. I'm just saying its a thing rather than a name :think: You said golliwog isn't a racist term and on that I totally disagree.

but it's not the word people have a problem with it's the use of the word.

as beanie said she doesn't see the problem with it being used to describe a white person. Names such Nigger she probably feels differently about- they ARE racist words.

They have started reproducing golliwogs lately- why would they do that if the vast majority of people found them insulting to black people? To me, and a lot of other people, a golliwog is just a toy.

Jade&Evie said:
but it's not the word people have a problem with it's the use of the word.

as beanie said she doesn't see the problem with it being used to describe a white person. Names such Nigger she probably feels differently about- they ARE racist words.

They have started reproducing golliwogs lately- why would they do that if the vast majority of people found them insulting to black people? To me, and a lot of other people, a golliwog is just a toy.

It IS the word people have a problem with, like I posted before the word 'wog' is extremely offensive to black people, its slang and derogatory. And for the record I didn't agree with everything beanie said either.

And you say they are starting to reproduce them....I'm not sure thats accurate is it? :think:

I read that the Royals gift shop has removed them from sale.

Gollywog dolls ARE rascist, they aren't just dolls, there's a history to them that is wrong and that in this day and age we (should!) know better than to use, so i really hope they aren't bringing them back. Yes they may be a part of history, but thats how they should stay- something that happened before we knew any better and learnt to be less discriminationg.

On the subject of a lot of black people not finding it offensive or caring, this may be true in the younger generation but then they weren't around at the time that it was all going on and didn't witness the hurt that the image of these dolls caused, so in honour of those that did and who WOULD be offended to hear this still being used and possibly coming back in the form of new dolls, I think a comeback is a step backwards and also a kick in their faces.

My thoughts again sorry! :oops: xx

i just thought i would get my bit in :oops:

to me, a golliwog is a toy also. i wouldn't refer to a black person as a golliwog. i don't know many black people, but because of the way PC-ness is going, i would probably watch the way i was speaking to/about a black person because of the ways you can now offend people. the same with disabled people and any other people of different ethnicity, culture, race, religion.

i feel as if in these days you are walking on egg shells sometimes.

then again, my grandparents do still come out with some things which are very racist terms, but they do not mean to be racist. i won't give many examples as i don't want to offend people. but my gran would still refer to the corner shop as the 'paki shop.' that's the way she was brought up and i don't think there's any changing that generation now.

when bringing aiden up i hope he does go to school with kids from different ethnicities and that way he will see them as the same as every other child.

i hope i haven't upset/offended anyone, i know it's a touchy subject.

wow what a fantastic debate! :clap:

hmm, is the term golliwog racist? i dont really know. i guess yes because of the uproar from it, but if somone asked me this morning (before reading this thread) what a golliwog was, i would say it was a black doll.

maybe i've lead a very sheltered life. because i knew that yes it was a racist term BUT overall to me it was a doll.

i guess though, ive never seen what the golliwog actually fit into the storyline or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back