• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carol Thatcher a racist?

laetitia85 said:
ReggiesMummy said:
lea m said:
Hun half my family would be offended by your choice of word "coloured" although it is clear you mean no offence by it! (I hope I dont upset you at all hun)
Im just saying that people will always say things that others find offensive and it doesn't necessarily make you racist etc!

No I know what you mean! :hug: I never know what is the right terms to use these days!xx

Lol bless :D It's ok to say black you know. :hug: Or you can say 'other races', or asians, africans, etc. it's perfectly fine. better than coloured! I hate that word! hang on... aren't we all coloured? white is a colour too, isn't it? :D

Thanks Laetita :hug: I wont use the term 'coloured' in future, I usually do say black so thank you for letting me know. You are right we are all a 'colour' of some sort. :D xx

I never realised saying coloured caused offence either so at least one good thing has come from this thread, for me anyway :D

she's a daft old bat, but a likeable one :D

I wish she'd just say sorry and be done with it. We have no idea in what context the term was even used. I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. She should definitely apologise though.

what context would it have been ok though to liken a black tennis player to a golliwog???

I've read she was refering to his hair :shock: How terrible to think that would be taken as a joke :shakehead:

I think the reason she hasn't apologised is that it's probably been taken out of context. I know if someone misquoted me I wouldn't apologise for it. And what's to say she hasn't privately apologised to the tennis player she was referring to- of course the BBC wouldn't report that because it would stop all this free publicity they are getting..... :roll: She doesn't have to publicly apologise to the whole of Britain.

If it was a white tennis player and she had said he had hair like a golliwog would it have made the news at all?

Jade&Evie said:
I think the reason she hasn't apologised is that it's probably been taken out of context. I know if someone misquoted me I wouldn't apologise for it. And what's to say she hasn't privately apologised to the tennis player she was referring to- of course the BBC wouldn't report that because it would stop all this free publicity they are getting..... :roll: She doesn't have to publicly apologise to the whole of Britain.

If it was a white tennis player and she had said he had hair like a golliwog would it have made the news at all?

of course it wouldn't - there are no racial connotations :?

Then maybe, like me, she didn't actually notice his skin colour and didn't see the harm in it. Skin colour doesn't even register in my mind when I meet someone or talk to someone- it's that unimportant.

Lou said:
debecca said:
valentine said:
debecca said:
I have an IQ of 176.

Show off! I want to hear your comments on this debate brain box!

Valentine Xxx

I am intelligent enough to know that any comment I make will be pounced on and misconstrued within seconds, so I'll hold fire. I did say a few pages ago before it turned into a fistfight that I think Carol didn't INTEND to be racist but that she is clearly exceptionally ignorant and stupid.

Come on thats not fair, who had pounced on who? :think: and who had a 'fist fight'?

:?

I should also point out that my comments should never be taken literally as I have a dry sense of humour which doesn't always come across well through text.

Jade&Evie said:
Then maybe, like me, she didn't actually notice his skin colour and didn't see the harm in it. Skin colour doesn't even register in my mind when I meet someone or talk to someone- it's that unimportant.

Thats very naive if you don't mind me saying so.

Lou said:
Jade&Evie said:

:roll: I think I should have stayed put out of this thread.

debecca said:
Lou said:
debecca said:
valentine said:
debecca said:
I have an IQ of 176.

Show off! I want to hear your comments on this debate brain box!

Valentine Xxx

I am intelligent enough to know that any comment I make will be pounced on and misconstrued within seconds, so I'll hold fire. I did say a few pages ago before it turned into a fistfight that I think Carol didn't INTEND to be racist but that she is clearly exceptionally ignorant and stupid.

Come on thats not fair, who had pounced on who? :think: and who had a 'fist fight'?

:?

I should also point out that my comments should never be taken literally as I have a dry sense of humour which doesn't always come across well through text.

:D Tell us what you think! Go on you know you want to :D

beanie said:
what context would it have been ok though to liken a black tennis player to a golliwog???

well, nobody knows exactly what was said, because it was a private conversation. I'm not saying it was OK, I'm just saying we don't know all of what was said. Perhaps if she had REALLY compared his hair to a Golliwog, she would have apologised by now?

Perhaps the reason she hasn't apologised, is because she didn't? It's all hearsay.

Or maybe she's just a daft old bat, as I said earlier :D

hmm with all due respect I think that's still pretty bad - she noticed his hair was like a golliwogs but failed to notice he was black - right. As lovely as it would be if the whole world was colour blind I cannot see anyone being that blase about it all.

Jade&Evie said:
Lou said:
[quote="Jade&Evie":1d6lqg0m]Then maybe, like me, she didn't actually notice his skin colour and didn't see the harm in it. Skin colour doesn't even register in my mind when I meet someone or talk to someone- it's that unimportant.

:roll: I think I should have stayed put out of this thread.[/quote:1d6lqg0m]

God its like pulling teeth. If you comment then expect replies Jade, its a forum!

Please don't spoil this thread.

Lou said:
I never realised saying coloured caused offence either so at least one good thing has come from this thread, for me anyway :D

I agree, personally I dont have any black or asian friends, so i find these threads really informative to hear other peoples points of view. :D xx

ReggiesMummy said:
Lou said:

I agree, personally I dont have any black or asian friends, so i find these threads really informative to hear other peoples points of view. :D xx

Yes me too :D

angelfairy said:
As I originally pointed out in my comment, I refferred to caravan site as a British way of saying trailor park - its a term commonly used in America. I in no way referred or intended to refer to gypsies or travellers.

Sorry lol not meaning to pick but its still the same! Not all people on an American trailer park are of low intelligence! They also use that term in an offensive way! If I was an American who lived on a trailer park, i would be very offended by that remark!

beanie said:
she noticed his hair was like a golliwogs but failed to notice he was black - right.

I may be completely incorrect, but I heard it was Andy Murray she was talking about who is white (obviously). She was just referring to his hair not his colour. This may be untrue though and clearly, we'll never know.

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
beanie said:
she noticed his hair was like a golliwogs but failed to notice he was black - right.

I may be completely incorrect, but I heard it was Andy Murray she was talking about who is white (obviously). She was just referring to his hair not his colour. This may be untrue though and clearly, we'll never know.

Valentine Xxx

Really? :shock: wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back