Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

TiffanyJaynexo

Reaction score
:shock:

British Gas just came to fit meters in, this was our own decision to have this done.

Turns out, we can't have a gas meter put in at the moment because it's too dangerous. My landlord is an old lady who doesn't understand these things, but it would seem that she's been ripped off by a cowboy-builder in my town! I knew the gas fire needed sealing to the wall because it was loose, but the British Gas man (who was appalled by this dodgy job) said there isn't even any flue-liner there :shock: therefore all the carbon monoxide is getting soaked up in the brickwork and we're being exposed to it. He asked me if I've had headache's or if I've felt tired, I don't get headaches usually but lately I've had terrible headache's and I've been so tired :oooo: so I told him this and to my surprise he said, "That's carbon monoxide poisoning". He was very concerned for me because I'm pregnant.

I'm going to ring my midwife tomorrow to explain the situation, I'm awfully worried about Grace, we've been living here for 3 weeks now and have had the fire on quite a lot :( The gas man put a warning sticker on the fire and said he can report this dodgy gas man to authorities.

I'm shocked! If we hadn't of chose to have meters put in, we would never have known :(

I just seen this on fb hun! That is shocking ur landlord should have carbon monoxide alarms fitted!!!!
I am sure grace is fine hun but def let ur mw know xxxxxx

What a scare! Hope you're all ok x keep us all updated x

:shock:

You can also get patches which stick on appliances and change colour in the presence of carbon monoxide. When it's fixed get some of these too. They are normally very cheap.

My Dad died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a naff appliance. So please be careful.

Is it safe for you to be there? Get any other appliances checked too. I think you need to talk to your landlady about this. Can u move back to your parents temporarily whilst it is sorted out?

Am I being exposed to it now?
I haven't turned the fire on since the gas man did, I don't intend to either.

Will definitely get some of them stickers. I'm also tempted to ring up watchdog about this cowboy builder.
Thankfully my mother in law was here at the time so she got on the phone to my landlady straight away, I don't think she understands she's been ripped off. xxx

Yeah just read this on facebook too, it's shocking!!! So glad you had it checked out and that your now aware of it. Defo get some carbon monoxide alarms. Also I know the lady your renting the house off is elderly but as your landlady she is responsible for for getting these kind of things checked out before she rents out her property.
Defo ring the midwife. Hope you and Gracie are ok hun xx

The place will certainly need a bit of time to clear. Maybe get some advice from British gas to be sure.

Hun that's so shocking, I hope u get it sorted soon. That's so bad!!!

Cant believe this hun! Ur very lucky! My MIL and SIL suffered with this a few year ago. Couldnt get out of bed one morning, vomiting with headaches and achy bodies.... tried to turn the heating on and it wouldnt work properly. turned out the flue was blocked and carbon monoxide was leaking into the house!

If its soaked into the walls then is say it will still be present for a while.id try and find some wfere else until you know for sure x x x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

yeah - might be a good idea to try and get out for a wee while. If you can get the sticker things that should give you an idea if there is still dodgy levels in the place.
xxx

Are you in privately rented or with an agent? It's the landlady's responsibility to have a Gas Safety Check on the property each year and if this would of been done it would of been picked up as you say you have been living there 3 weeks, Its done yearly and its a legal requirement if she's renting properties.. If she doesn't have one then she can get in serious trouble, you should of been handed a gas certificate before moving in that tells you everything that has passed or if its failed, if anything fails they shouldn't allow you to move in until its fixed.

I work in an estate agent and its against the law to rent a property without a gas safety check.

Hope everything's ok x

OMG so sorry to hear this, esp when you were starting to get settled!!

I'm sure Grace will be fine, but I think you's should get out ASAP - and refuse to pay rent untill this is fixed.

:shakehead:

Thanks for the replies.
Well it turns out my landlady has been having yearly gas checks by the man who did it himself..
He's obviously not bothered about the state of the fire and is just concerned about getting paid.

Haven't got a headache today so that's a start. Can't wait for it to get sorted out, if my landlady can't pay for a replacement (which she can) then we'll have to have a coal fire instead xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back