car geeks - what should i be looking for before paying?!

lozzi

Reaction score
what shud i be looking for tomorrow when im picking up the new car (used)...

i mean signs of problems etc..

what obvious things?

ta in advance.

what car are you getting hun cause there are like the standard things that will be for every car then some things specific to the car your getting

TBH I'd get one of the AA people in (or similar) and spend a few quid and have them do a health check on it before you part with your cash.

So many things depending on the age of the car, previous owners, service history etc. If you are buying from a dealer you should at least get some sort of warrenty I would think.

Get one of these as well for sure http://www.rac.co.uk/web/vehiclechecks/status_checks/

my garage provided me with one so it might have one but if not get one done before you go collect it.

The garage ''should'' provide a warrenty but alot of 2nd hand dealers (unless your paying alot) may oly give you a 30 day one or a 3 month one etc so just check up on that - if you bought it and knew a mechanic back home you could get them to check out any faults in the warrenty period then go back to garage to get them fixed.

Check tread on tyres and check for nicks on them (by nicks i mean gauges on the alloys, wheels) as it could be an indication it smacked a curb or something else, also check for uneven wear on the tyres. Depending on the millage check for cam/timing belt changes (can usually be done from about 60-80k iirc) - just ask the garage if there is any proof of this in the service history - recipts etc, if not then assume its not been done and will be about £400 give or take depending on car.

Check oil is not thick and gungey (take out dipstick and check it) hopefully that shuuld be an indication its been changed.

Urm ill have a think what else I check when I went to get mine and post it up but I think that was the main things, like mine I checked the underneath of the oil cap for mayo looking film cause its a common problem on vauxhalls so there may be some common problems to check for on the make you are getting.

Good luck hun oh and DONT forget to test drive it and DONT let the sales man pressure you and remember they will want the sale you are doing them a favour giving them commision!

its a pug 307...

private sale -

ive paid for a check on teh car its all clear of hpi/write offf/insurance/theft etc...

just literally gotta get it checked..

i rang up for one fo those aa check thingys earlier today, but its up to 3 working days it takes! hence im after a local mechanic to come give the car a once over :pray:

ahh private sale no Warrenty then boooo.

Urm just check what I said above really, check if it has FSH as it will show if taken care of the car or not.

Where abouts is the sale? I know a few garages all over bfd so if its near anywhere I might beable to give you their num and they might come for a fee??

only online tonight though, wont be here tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back