Can you over feed your baby?

Lynds77

Reaction score
My wee one has recently got very hungry.

She is 2 weeks old and was taking around 80/90mls in her bottle (either breast or formula). But last couple of days she has cried for more so I upped it to 100mls. Now today she was still crying for more and seemed very unsettled so I gave her 40mls more and she is now snoozing away very happy!

She had also started wanting fed more often during the day and night so I am wondering if I just wasn't feeding her enough. It's hard with still giving her the breast for some feeds too

Surely 140mls is far too much for a 2 week old?? She was a wee bit sick 40mins after her feed.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me Hun! Will last a few days, baby just wants food, food and more food then it should settle again! Feed on demand, I don't think you can over feed a baby that young, if you were just bf you won't know what baby was taking and would keep feeding so I wouldn't worry x

If they have too much they'll just throw up what they don't need so don't worry- you can't over feed xx

Short answer- no!!

She'll throw up anything she doesn't need/want

Thanks girls! My milk is drying up noes cause I am not breast feeding or pumping durin the night so should be easier for me to see exactly how much she is getting when I am solely on ff in bottles.

They soon settle down to more predictable feeds. I know now that Albert will really go for it first thing, drop off a bit midday and then feed more before bed to see him through. Only growth spurts mess this up now but she will only have what she wants hun xxxxxxxxx

Elise is a hungry horace too we got hungry baby milk as well as normal aptamil milk to use as a op up after she has breastfed usually her top up can be anything from2-4oz on top of her breastfeed xx

Glad I seen this thread! My wee man will be 3weeks tomorrow, amd he is a very hungry boy! He is now taking up to 150ml at each feed. Think I'm gonna ask HV about putting him onto hungry baby formula, but until I see her on Monday, this has at least put my mind at rest x

Glad I seen this thread! My wee man will be 3weeks tomorrow, amd he is a very hungry boy! He is now taking up to 150ml at each feed. Think I'm gonna ask HV about putting him onto hungry baby formula, but until I see her on Monday, this has at least put my mind at rest x

we got a few of the ready made cartons just to try.

I gave her the usual 120mls just before bedtime hoping it would keep her full and she would sleep through but she didnt, she woke up 3 hours later as she normaly does.

tried it again during the day and she only took 100mls of her bottle, but again it didnt seem to keep her fuller for longer or really make any difference.

My HV told me not to use the stuff, as its the same as first milk just with more calories and carbs in it. She said its better just to give a little more normal milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back