Query over how much formula to feed

helenness

Reaction score
Following on from my previous post about switching from breast feeding to bottles I now have a query about how much formula I should be feeding!

My LO is 3 and a half weeks old, weighed 10lb 1oz when she was weighed last Tues and is currently having 3 bottles a day (her afternoon and evening feeds) and all her other feeds are breast feeds (nighttime and morning).

I was advised to make her bottles up to 5oz despite her age (her bottles should be 4oz at 3 weeks) because she was draining 4oz bottles completely and she's 'a good weight'! She's now draining 5oz bottles completely (and occasionally topping this up with breast milk too!) and I'm worried she'll be getting too much feed.

I'm going to speak to my MW about this (for all the help she'll be!) but wondered if anyone else had any words of wisdom! I'm wondering if she's not getting enough from me when I breast feed her because my milk supply is starting to drop off and consequently she's taking more from the bottle to make up for it. On the other hand, 5oz might be completely normal for a baby of her weight. I'm just concerned because she still seems so young to be taking that much from 3 feeds and still breast feeding! I'll be weaining her onto bottles 100% over the next few days so this may help even things out....I hope!!

Has anyone else been in this situation and if so, what did you do? Is 5oz accaptable for my DD to be taking or is it too much?!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I would say go with the flow and let your LO lead the way - if she wants more then the chances are she needs it. Is it definitely hunger? Sometimes babies can comfort suck.

From what I know babies who overfill themselves will often throw it back up.

xxxxx

cass is 3 weeks today and she drains 4oz and has drained a 5oz today, she is getting expressed and formula and does this for both. she is gaining weight well and nobody seems concerned when i say how much she is having. i agree go with the flow, LO will know how hungry he is.

Always ignore the tin of formula! It is impossible to overfeed a baby that age as they will just throw up anything extra that they take. The best advice I was given was to try to have a spare ounce at the end of a bottle, so once LO drains a bottle for a day or so, up it by another ounce. This means that when they get hungrier the milk is there, it also means they don't suck a bottle dry and then get wind.

My LO has always had more milk than recommended, and is still having about 10oz a day more than she 'should' be now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back