Can they tell the sex of baby?

Rachey

Reaction score
Just read this..

'The earliest an ultrasound can possibly determine the gender of a fetus is 12 weeks. Most doctors won't attempt to determine the gender until 16-20 weeks. Unlike amniocentesis, ultrasound genderizing isn't an exact science. Depending on the way the baby lays, it can be difficult to see the genitals. Some radiologists will influence the baby to move into a different position to catch a glimpse, or you could consume something containing sugar to make the fetus more active. Amniocentesis, if you have to have one done, determines the gender through chromosomal analysis and this is fool-proof. '

Do you think sometimes the sonographers know what we are having at the 12 week scan, but just don't say? xxx

They might have a vague idea but I don't think they can ever be sure enough to say. I paid for a private one and the earliest they would do it was 16 weeks. They were adamant not before.

They might have a vague idea but I don't think they can ever be sure enough to say. I paid for a private one and the earliest they would do it was 16 weeks. They were adamant not before.

I didn't realise private places did gender scans as early. The ones I had seen were between 22-34 weeks.

The woman yesterday kept saying 'he' and because I was 14 weeks it made me wonder if she saw something! Maybe they just say he/she, whatever pops into their mind lol :) xxx

Last edited:
Maybe :)

I went to babybond scan place. They have them all over. Couldn't miss his winky woo at 16 weeks. She actually laughed and said "I can tell you it is 100% boy!!"

I don't even think they bother looking at 12 weeks tbh. They're much more concerned with making sure baby is healthy and all its limbs/head etc are the right size for its age. xxx

Well the woman that was doing my scan confused me because i asked this and she said there was no way they could as it doesnt know itself what it is yet ...and the strongest hormone takes over and that hasn't happened yet. I always thought it knew at the moment of conception??? confused lol.

I thought this happened at conception too but could only be seen from around 14 weeks but it was best to wait until 20 weeks to be sure??

I had an amnio last month and was actually looking forward to the 2nd part of the results once I got the all clear from the first set.... unfortunately they couldn't get enough fluid for 2nd part of testing which was when they could tell what sex babs is so now waiting for my scan next week..... because of young boys and their privates dropping later and not becoming visible clearly they are reluctant to tell you what sex they are until they are sure.. x

Well the woman that was doing my scan confused me because i asked this and she said there was no way they could as it doesnt know itself what it is yet ...and the strongest hormone takes over and that hasn't happened yet. I always thought it knew at the moment of conception??? confused lol.

It is determined at conception, depending on if it's an X or Y sperm, she's talking a load of bollocks - it may not be visible yet but it's certainly already determined.

what a load of codswallop! that actually scares me that a medical professional is saying that. it's determined at the moment sperm meets egg - duh! we have the X chromosome and men can have either a Y sperm or an X sperm. it its a Y sperm that gets the egg, it's a boy, if its an X one, it's a girl....

your sonographer talks bull of couse the baby knows what its going to be

Yeah. At my very first midwife appointment she asked if we are thinking of finding out the sex, i said no and she said that she isnt either as its already determined and theres nothing u can do to change it now xxx

Maybe :)

I went to babybond scan place. They have them all over. Couldn't miss his winky woo at 16 weeks. She actually laughed and said "I can tell you it is 100% boy!!"

Haha that made me laugh!

That's terrible that the woman doing your scan said that Shauna, shows you how much some of these 'experts' know! xxx

Yup, determined at conception. But they probably think we'll believe anything, and say these things so we'll stop pushing for answers.

Even at 20 week scans, they don't usually like to say "its definitely a..." because occasionally mistakes are made. We got a "very much so looks like a little girl", and then 10 weeks later when I had a scare, the man said "do you know what you're having?" (yes) "only it really definitely IS a girl, she just flashed me!"

Yeah well thats what i always learnt at school the x and y i remember lol. I knew she was talking shit... and i thought they were meant to know...ha! They don't like people telling them things either lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back