C-section recovery- what's normal?

shootingstar22

Reaction score
Hi all, a you know I had a c-section on Thursday and was released yesterday. Just had mw
Round to check on me and lucky or me I have dissolvable stiches...so no removal for me. Plus mw said I should have been sent home with some anti clotting injections, but my hospital didn't give me any grrr (I had two injections in hospital, so maybe that was enough) anyone else get sent home with these?

Anywho want to ask if anyone else also experiences the following (just for peace of mind).

1) when you go to stand up you feel this rush if heat near around the scar that goes once standing and moving.
2) slightly warm belly inch or two above the scar.
3) the bleeding you get that also expels lochia, does that smell to you? I.e I think I can smell something sweet it something like bleach. It's not foul smelling, I just noticed th smell and was like, oh what's that.
4) hard tontalk and walk..feel quite out of breath-perhaps because I'm still can't stand up straightstraight yet.

Thanks ladies!x

Last edited:
hi hun i also had a c section last sunday so hope you are feeling ok. all thoses things you are describing are exactly what i felt however they have eased off apart from feeling slightly numb at the wound site. i only had 3 injections of anti-clotting drugs but think that was enough.

how are you coping with being restricted? apart from being told no driving till 6 week check, no bending or heavy lifting and only to walk a very short distance that is it. have you any more advice?? xx

Hey, yeah it's ok. Usually be evenin I'm hurting a bit more because if all the movement I do in the day. Poor hubby has to sleep withthe Moses basket on his side and give me Evie when she needs feeding! It the shuffle/waddle thing that's frustrating..want to be able to move quicker.

Glad to hear it all easing off for you a bit now! It's gonna be so good when we dint ace to over think our actions/movements...to just tend to our babes in our own would be nice eh?

Had c-section 11weeks ago now. Wasn't sent home with any meds or injections. My advice would be to try and stand/sit up straight-you won't damage your scar but if you stay hunched over it will heal tight and stay gently active-only do what you feel up to though. It heals nice and quickly-you'll be amazed how good you feel after 2 weeks. Hope you have a quick recovery :)

Hi ladies. I had a section 15 weeks ago and was sent home with these anti clogging injections however if you're being quite mobile then you'll be fine, they are just precautionary as when in hospital you tend to sit in bed most of the time.
All the feelings you have do seem normal, and every person will heal at their own speed, but my advice would be move as much as you can, go for short walks (with someone with you), and take painkillers as needed. I found that the worse part was sitting down or getting up, and that once I was up I was ok.
Hope you recover soon. xxxx

I had a c-section 4 months ago, I wasnt sent home with any injections, just paracetamol and some anti inflammatories. I had about 6 in hospital thoughl, Its normal to feel heat there and pain as it is healing. I would try and get yourself straight because as Frankie says it is much more comfy than being hunched over.

Hi hun,
I have had 3 c-sections will be having a fourth in August.

From everything you have said it sounds completely normal.

I recovered fully and was feeling back to normal in around 2 weeks. The heat around the scar lasts a while. It can feel quite numb for months... it did with my second and then it would heat up when the feeling was coming back.

Oh and congrats on your bundle of joy!!

I had a c section 3 weeks ago and I'm saying the same as the others really, I have experienced and still am experiencing all of those, but also thank you for asking the questions as I was a little worried about the heat thing!
And Congrats!
XxX

Hi hun I was sent home with the jabs had to administer 4 of them myself as I had to tke 7 days worth also sent home with apile of iron tablets, paracetemol and something else I cant remember, fhe smell thing I had this so all normal I think x

Hi,
I didnt have a c-sect, but just wanted to say soooo glad your out of hospital, what a relieve!!!!xxxx

Can I ask how far and how soon everyone is walking etc I only ask as in 2 weeks hubby goes away and I may need to organise someone to walk my dog although I'd prefer to do it myself!! Xx

I had a c section 4 years ago and was nearly fully recovered after a fortnight,was able to drive,carry car seat,push pram etc.
I wasn't sent home with any injections either-just painkillers but I was supposed to have injections after this birth (natural) cos of my bmi xx

Can I ask how far and how soon everyone is walking etc I only ask as in 2 weeks hubby goes away and I may need to organise someone to walk my dog although I'd prefer to do it myself!! Xx
I wouldnt recommend walking the dog for about 6 weeks incase it pulls, it could pull the stiches inside. i pushed little one down to the school run the 7days after my section tho. its a 10min walk and i was feeling it when i got back just achey, but it was lovely to get out and about xx

I would say that I was back to normal within a week, but I had to be as my baby was in hospital and I was at home. On day 6 I got a bus to the hospital but its nearly a mile walk to the bus stop so decided from that day that I would drive.
I do think though that me and my baby were both at home I would have taken longer to recover. But I'm not saying that everyone's going to be the same. Just wait an see how you get on over the next few days before making arrangements for dog walkers.

You will have to get someone to walk the dog hun. It's only really yesterday that I was mobile enough to tend to Evie on my own for most of tge day. Plus you are not very speedy...you kinda go at a snail pace. You also feel it cone evening if you have over done it.x

I have had 4 sections now, and recovered slowest this time, but think that was cause it was a bit messier and had my falopian tubes cut too this time.

I didn't have any anticlot injections, that I know about, but got some pain stuff to bring home with me and iron and anti bunged bottom stuff too.

I would agree with Emma and Emz1980, to try to stand straighter as it will help you stop hunching over so much in the longer run. I went back to the school runs from day 5 when I got home, just really slowly at first allowing extra time. I think making short trips rbather than staying in, are actually really good for you getting your more mobile and speeding recovery.

If you do too much you will feel really sore by the late afternoon. eve, but then take it more easily then and soak in the bath, and rest up , just feeding baby.

By two weeks you should start to feel more normal, I was doing too much this time at 2 weeks and took a few easier days only doing school runs , no walking to town etc too, staying out all day, baby groups etc, and that helped my recovery really pick up again.

I would say walking dog might suddenly pull you in these early days, I tripped over my daughters school bag in the hall at 6 weeks after , last week and the left side of scar swelled up and got a lump underneath, and doc at 6 week check said to massage it, so just be carefull.

I still have numb tum, (most of mine will prob stay like that now, but I did feel it was better after 5 years or so last time). unfortunately my left groin and half the outside of my thigh is numb too, which doc thinks is related , (but strange!!) hope that comes back to me soon, too early to tell I think.

Hope you feel more yourself soon, and like you say just managing baby will be much easier than deeling with yourself, but I'm sure your husband understands , seeing what you went through X

I had section on the 11th so about 3 weeks ago now, I had the injections for seven days since I spent 5 days after birth in hospital I only took home 2 injections.

As for my scar it was red all above it and warm to the touch, it started leaking in hospital but stopped before I left then leaked again 3/4 days after I was back home... Went to the doctors to be told it looks infected as it was red and warm :S So now taking my third course of antibioctics :( as had infection of waters in hospital so was on two types when I was discharged home, (took them for remaining 3 days).....

I was in hospital 6 days after section so only had one injection at home which midwife did for me next day. Best advice I've seen us to stand up straight I was scared to coz I thought my stitches were going to burst but my back was aching terribly from hunching!

Everyones different hun that's what I would say.
I had a section 8 weeks ago was sent home with Clexane injections for the clotting. The only thing I was told was no driving for 6 weeks.
I was discharges 4 days after giving birth but I was fine after I got over the wind in hospital. Was up and about but very tired for the first few weeks. My scar healed after a couple of weeks basically and I was no longer in pain after this.
Got told off for doing the hoovering cause no one told me I wasn't meant too lol. Just take it easy hun and listen to your body :0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back