C-section because I'm small?

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
My mum keeps telling me I might have to have a c section because I'm a tiny person, is this something they do or an old wives tale? She said her pelvis was measures before having my brother and sister (closest one was 4 years a go) I've never heard of being too small to push?

---
-

My sis in law had this as she was only 4ft something and her pelvis was too small...xx

Its one of the old things - nobody measures your hips anymore and they dont ask for your shoe size as it has no correlation to how you will labour

It can happen that the babies head is too big to fit in a small pelvis. The will know close to term. I hope it will be ok :hug:

never heard of this! im sure u will be fine hun xx fingers crossed xx

In a way you could end up having one if ur tiny and carrying a large baby however your body tends to know and your baby will tend to be as big as you can handle. Saying this I was watching something on tv the other day with a small woman who's baby was large and they induced her a couple of weeks early to stop baby getting too big. I wouldn't worry about it as your body still has lots of adjusting to do. My hips are huge now from my first I wasn't tiny but a slim 10 and I increased to a 14 because of my hips expanding alone.

Jesus! I'm 4ft 11 and size 8/10 (normally haha!) I could see it being useful as you know your due date but it's major surgery! Scairy

---
-

My mum is v small and delivered too babies no problem! If ur worried speak to ur mw Hun!

---
-

I know my hubby's grandma had 6 kids and she delivered them all naturally at home and they averaged 11lbs!!

She was only 4ft 10in!!! I dont know how she did it!

The head of midwifery spoke to me about the size of your hands rather than feet - she said if the hands look small it can be an indicator that the pelvis is small. I'm small so I asked her about it and this is what she said! She did ask the size of my feet and apparently a size 4 is not too small. Although I had to hve an emergency c section as my daughter was not for coming!! She was 8lb and I reckon my body couldn't handle a baby that size! A midwife who had seen me a couple of weeks before actually said I would struggle to push given the huge size of my bump and my small frame.

My mum is 4ft 10 and delivered me and my brother fine! My sister in law who is a little taller than me (I'm 5ft 1) and a size 10/12 had to have an emergency c section with her first after a long labour and found out that it was because her pelvis was too small so for her second she had a planned section due to it. It seems very dependent on the person and isn't always known beforehand. If your worried speak to your mw. X

My mum's 4ft 10, and was told the same thing - its definitely not an old wives tale - you can be too small to push. She was allowed to have a go when she was having me but had to have the c-section in the end anyways - with my brother she had a booked c-section 2 weeks before due date.

It's more due to the size of your pelvis etc. I would ask your MW if your worried.

xx

my sis in law is quite small and had to have an emergency c section as my nephew could not fit through her pelvis...bad this wasnt spotted beforehand! x

Will make a point of bringing this up with the midwife! Would rather have it planned!

---
-

Oh no, I thought this was an old wives tale! I'm only just 5ft but a size 6 bottom usually, hope I don't have a big baby then, my husband is 6ft2 and about 15 stone, eeep!

Oh no, I thought this was an old wives tale! I'm only just 5ft but a size 6 bottom usually, hope I don't have a big baby then, my husband is 6ft2 and about 15 stone, eeep!
I think normally its not your size but your pelvis and there are not many ways to measure that. My husband is 6'3 but I think usually the baby will adjust size

I wouldnt panic too much about it being a height thing. Like I said my mum had 2 c-sections at 4ft 10, but there are plenty of people that sorta size who have natural births. There must be other factors involved as well - but if you're worried then its definitely worth asking about.

xxx

Think it is something they thought about years ago - I'm hoping for a homebirth and my mum said they might not let me cos I'm small (she was not allowed a homebirth in the 70s/80s because she had small feet). But my midwife said they don't consider that to be an issue now and that I'll grow a baby that I'm able to push out, so there's no problem with me having a homebirth. I think it's something they still consider in America, but not over here. Hope it all works out for you
x

As a general rule of thumb, they say your body wo t produce a baby you can't deliver, over the years our bodies have adapted to this, hence the child bearing hips thing! Obviously there are exceptions tho! My mum's 5'1 and was in a size 10 ball gown the day she had me and she managed fine! That said, I was 4 weeks early and 6lb! Butmaybe her body knew she wouldn't handle a term birth?! She had my sister 5 years later with no probs and I think she was about 8lb! I'm only 5'1 myself and have had a 9lb12-er and an 8lb3! But I've defo got the child bearing hips!

I think normally its not your size but your pelvis and there are not many ways to measure that. My husband is 6'3 but I think usually the baby will adjust size

Thanks hun, thats reassuring, i thought your body just adapted, i'm sure it will :)

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! Will defo speak to my midwife when I see her in a couple of weeks. Would rather know as soon as possible tho so I can gear myself up for it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back