C Section Advice please - Very Scared!

Cixes

Reaction score
There is a good chance i am going to have to have a c section due to placenta Praevia (posterior) and i am really nervous about having the op and what the recovery will be like.

I wondered :

what happens straight after your section?

Do you have to have staples or can you have disolvable stitches?

What is the pain really like afterwards?

How long do you normally stay in hospital?

erm...i can't think of anything else but please give me any advice or tips on how to make the most of it! :?

i have to say my planned section was amazing!! I walked into theatre, and had my spinal which trust me didnt hurt at all!! When alastair was out they give him to my oh who let me kiss him, then my oh took him back to my room while i got sorted out, i had like a rod put in! Now the pain i think is petty bad so take everything they throw at you, and moving around is awful aswell, but try and get up cos this will help. I stayed in hospital for 5 days with sophie and 4 days with alastair. My advice still in as longar you can. Give me a shout if you wanna know anything else x x

forgot to say dont be scared hun, and try not to listen to horror stories people will tell you. People always wanna tell you horrible stories!! X x

Hi, I had an emergency c-section and honestly didn't feel any pain during the op. It was a great experience. the staff explained everything and offered to let me hold baby straight away. Afterwards i had a far bit of pain for about 24 hours but it was not unbearable and it quickly got better. I had dissovlable stitches. I would take a breastfeeding pillow into hospital with you (even if you plan to bottle feed as you can still use it to position baby) as I found the most difficult thing was to get comfortable for feeding.

My problems started after discharge from hospital. i felt fine so I did far too much and ended up with a difficult recovery. My main advice would be that they say take it easy for six weeks for a reason. No matter how good you feel try to rest as much as you can!

Good luck x

aw hun, please dont be scared :hug: the fact that you are having a planned section is much less risky than an emergency. i had an emergency c section and i was scared stiff but i can honestly say that it was the best and most relaxed part of my labour experience and i feel better knowing that any future pregnancies would probably end in a section.

After being stitched up you will get wheeled to the hdu (high dependancy unit) for some well earned rest

I had disolvable ones inside and a normal stitch on the skin layer which was removed 6 days after the op which was quick and pain free

No pain during but it did feel like someone was washing up inside me - but as i had an emergency section i had a topped up epidural and not a spinal
I didnt really suffered with pain afterwards and i was quite shocked. I refused the liquid morphine in hospital as i really wasnt in pain, i just had ibuprofen and paracetamol but once out of hospital i didnt take them. I get the odd twinge inside my scar which the MW said is the stitches disolving, and getting out of bed isn't particularly easy at first, you just have to take it easy for a bit.

I had my LO on the 25th December (just before midnight) and went home on the evening of the 28th (although i did have to fight for them to let me out as my iron levels were at 7 instead of 12!!)

please give me any advice or tips on how to make the most of it!
Enjoy the moment when your LO is born, ask for skin to skin so you get LO on your chest straight away for a moment and remember, planned c sections are very quick and relaxed. Make sure you ask questions if you are worried about anything (i asked loads in theatre) and get yourself lots of pillows for when you get home to make yourself comfy :D :hug:

Thanks for the advice :)

I think i am just worried about going home and over doing it! I had a Laparoscopy about a week before i fell pregnant and although thats just key hole surgery my wounds got infected so i am half expecting that it could happen again this time.

My hubby was just saying last night how quick i got over my normal vag delivery last time i was literally back to normal within hours. I am just worried because in my head i think i should be bouncing around within a few days and will be sort of expected to be over it all.

the thought of staples scares me so i am hoping i can have the easier option!

I am going to have my mum and hubby at the hospital just incase hubby panics a bit then my mum can take over, plus i think i might need my mum after and she can dress Noah and stuff for me - i know my hubby will think he is gonna break him if he tries to dress him!

I had an emergency section and didn't find it all that bad.

I was taken to recovery with Molly for about an hour while they tested my iron levels to see if I needed a blood transfusion cos I'd lost a lot of blood. Had a bit of skin to skin and then went on to the ward.

I had staples which seemed to be the standard in the hospital I went to but I think it differs from place to place.

The first day I wasn't in any pain, I had a morphine drip that I controlled and was given a sopository for pain relief for 16 hours after the drip was taken away. Standing up wasn't easy but mostly it was just uncomfortable rather than painful. It's difficult to move around easily but it wasn't incredibly sore

I had Molly at 5am on the Wednesday and was discharged at 10pm on the Sunday. Molly was jaundiced otherwise we'd have gone home on the Friday.

Hope that helps! I've heard that planned sections are much nicer than emergencies though. Hope it all goes well :D

I had two emergency sections and this is what happened to me:

I was taken back to my room where I'd laboured - not sure what happens if it's an elective section. Here they placed baby on me and asked if I wanted to feed baby and if I wanted anything to eat for myself.

First time I had disolvable, second I had a running stitch that needed removed after 5 days.

I had a bit of discomfort the first night which they gave me morphine for but afterwards I managed just on paracetemol.

I was in 3 nights with DD and 2 with DS. It really depends on how well you're doing and if you're feeding etc.

Good luck - it really isn't so bad but do take it easy. When the midwives say to just buzz if you need anything listen to them. First time I tried to do too much myself but this time I made a point of taking all the help I needed. I think it helped with my recovery.

Last edited:
Mine was a 'semi' emergency where my waters went amonth early and Sam was breech, so there was little choice in the matter.

Straight after they take about 40 mins to sew you back up. They often take c-sections babies straight to the re-sus station as a precaution, which is still in the same room as you. After that we had a cuddle for about 15 mins, then because Sams blood sugar levels were a bit low (prob. because I hadn't eaten since that morning!) he had to spend the night in the nursery to be kept warm and tube fed. I told DH to go and stay with Sam while they finished wih me. I then went into the recovery area where which I think I had to be in for 4 hours going from memory, just to check everything was ok. I had a bed wash as I was still numb. I was then wheeled into the ward at 4am but couldn't sleep at all. It was so weird feeling this empty belly but not having Sam next to me. I would advise that if you can, you ask for immediate skin to skin contact. I missed out on this and although I obviously love SAm to bits, to begin with it was strange to be holding MY son in my arms!

I had disolvable stiches. I wouldn't look at the scar for days and just asked DH to keep an eye on it. He kept encouraging me to look saying it wasn't that bad - and it really wasn't!! I (used to) have a really flat stomach that I was proud of so was dreading seeing it, but now you can hardly see my scar.

You are obviously sore afterwards, but I kept up with the pain relief regularly and it was ok. I was walking hunched over for the first day or so, mainly out of fear of the wound opening which is highly unlikey - you just imagine if you stand up straight you will do some damage! I was in the shower just over 24 hours later but had been walking around the ward within 12 hours.

I stayed in 3 days. One of the midwives was going to let us home after 2 but then they changed shifts and the new one wouldn't let us! I was personlly signed off 24 hours later, but as Sam wasn't feeding well at that point they wanted to keep us in, hence the 3 days.

My main tip is to try and get skin to skin asap. Keep the catheter in as long as you are allowed as it's a godsend not having to get up for a wee for the first 12/15 hours! I had mine in 24 hours. Oh, and be prepared for the wind. I guess air must get in during the op and I've heard the awful wind is commonplace amongst is c-section-ers!

hth

Lisa xxx

i was taken back to the room i'd been labouring in & given sometime to BF, not sure how long i was in there before i was put on a ward. i had to have a general anaestetic, so everything's a bit blurry!

mine are dissolvable, but i was told by my HV that it's a postcode lottery as to how they seal you up! i live between two big hospitals and if i'd have given birth at the other i'd of had staples.

it was pretty sore for the first couple of times getting up & down. my advice is to get moving as soon as you're allowed and really try to straighten up your back, no matter how much you feel like it, you will not split open! lol. and take the drugs they offer you. i managed fine without them after four days, but at first they were a godsend!

i was discharged after four days, but chose to go to a smaller hospital for another night as i was struggling with BF.

honestly, getting a c-section was my worst nightmare, but it is not that bad.

what happens straight after your section? Went back in the delivery room, for skin to skin cuddles and try to BF, then was given a wash by the MWs

Do you have to have staples or can you have disolvable stitches? All mine were dissolveable

What is the pain really like afterwards? Quite sore, had morphine when about twice a day for first day after, then diclofenac and paracetomol helped fine. After the pain of labour it was nothing!

How long do you normally stay in hospital? All being well the hopsital here keep you for three days, I stayed for nearly five as Isla was poorly

I had an emergency c section and i thought the pain afterwards was horrendous.. little did i know that i was only taking paracetamol as i didnt spot the codene tablets! :wall: I asked for stronger pain relief the following day and had tramadol. I would say the first two days are bad (unsure if as bad if you had morphine though) but the third day is much better.. It took a little while to recover but when you have a baby you have no coice but to just get on with it! I have heard that planned sections are far better.

Oh and the procedure itself was fine.. lovely docs (loads of them) and you dont feel a thing. Oh except i was feeling sick so they gave me something for that then i was fine.

Good luck with it hun,

Claire x

Here you go flower - read my birth story. I had a wonderful experience. Please don't be scared, it's really not as bad as you would expect :hug:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65549

Good luck - and don't be frightened to ask for everything you want - it's your birth after all :hug:

P.S - just a warning that at the end of my birth story, there are very graphic photos of the section itself. Thought I'd better let you know, just in case you didn't want to see :D

Mine was an emergency section - so slightly different experience to your planned section but thought I would share my experience with you anyway!

I was taken to recovery and joined by OH (baby was in neonatal unit - they wheeled me down to see her after a little while). They do obs on you every 15mins to start with getting longer between them. I could sip water after an hour or so and after 2/3 hours I was allowed to eat - I was starving so kept begging for food! They gave me a bed bath a few hours after to clean me up which was heavenly!

I had INTERNAL only stitches! So woke up with only a thin red line across my tum!!! Was well chuffed with that!

I was advised to take all pain relief that was offered and I usually never take pills - but I think it really helped keep a lid on it and to be honest it's not really that bad at all. It's bizarre cos you can't even cough as you have no tummy muscles!! The first 5 days were the most sore - I was given a bed which was automatic- so I could control the back up and down which helped me get upright to sit up and get out of bed. Just take it slowly, don't rush anywhere.

Baby was born on Wed 00.10 and we left the following Monday evening - but she was in the neonatal unit so not really related to your situation.

I found it a very positive experience and would be very happy to have an elective cesarean next time (I've done the labour bit - it hurts!)

GOOD LUCK!

Moomum said:
Here you go flower - read my birth story. I had a wonderful experience. Please don't be scared, it's really not as bad as you would expect :hug:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65549

Good luck - and don't be frightened to ask for everything you want - it's your birth after all :hug:

P.S - just a warning that at the end of my birth story, there are very graphic photos of the section itself. Thought I'd better let you know, just in case you didn't want to see :D

Your story was great and the pictures are really interesting, and beautiful.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has given me their advice, i am starting to feel a bit better about it all now!

moomum, just wondering - did your OH take those photos? my partner was told he couldn't take his camera into theatre with us, i was really upset. ended up not mattering because he couldn't be in the room anyway!

I had to have an emergency C Section so your experience will be very different to mine but I will try and answer your questions as best I can!

I lost a lot of blood due to me not contracting properly so firstly they had to work out where the bleed was coming from and stop that and I had a few other complications so they had to work through them first. Then I was taken to recovery and they dressed and fed Amber, I was monitered for a while. Then we were taken back to the delivery suite and I was given a blood transfusion and left to rest. Amber also slept most of the day in the cot next to me !

I had disolvable stitches

It hurts a lot but its bearable and is nothing compared to labour!

Amber was born on the friday morning and we were discharged on the monday afternoon

erm...i can't think of anything else but please give me any advice or tips on how to make the most of it!

Make sure you get plenty of rest and take things easy for a while afterwards

Hope that helps and good luck! Hope it goes well.

Don't worry hun, you'll be fine :hug: :hug:

charlotte_ said:
moomum, just wondering - did your OH take those photos? my partner was told he couldn't take his camera into theatre with us, i was really upset. ended up not mattering because he couldn't be in the room anyway!

Yes he did thake the pics. We asked the surgeon before we went to theatre if the screen could be dropped and to take photos, which he agreed to it without any reluctance.

In your case, it was probably because it was an emergency hun.

Sorry you didn't get the pics you wanted :hug:

Just wanted to add that I had an elective c-section just 6 days ago.........so its all very fresh in my mind, if you need any advice at all dont hesitate to PM me and I will give you totally honest answers!

My hubby came into the operating theatre and we also have a couple of photos of Devon before he even took his first breath, I also took my own music which they played during the operation, and asked to be kept informed about each step of the operation, but thats not mandatory, and also wanted the screen dropped and to see my son the moment he was pulled out :D

For me the breast engorgement and chronic constipation I have suffered since are much worse than the c-section itself!!

Honestly though PM me anytime........ :hug:

Cixes said:
Thanks for the advice :)

I think i am just worried about going home and over doing it! I had a Laparoscopy about a week before i fell pregnant and although thats just key hole surgery my wounds got infected so i am half expecting that it could happen again this time.

I found my c-section much easier and better healing and much less painful than a laparoscopy. I was quite surprised, but I was fully functioning and skipping about pretty much as soon as the pda wore off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back