Brooke Summer Billington - 18 August 2011, 8.16pm - 7lbs 7oz *Pics Attached*

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
Good evening lovely ladies of PF :wave:

My beautiful baby girl is currently snuggling next to me with her Daddy so I thought what better time than now to tell her birth story :cloud9:

Thank you all so much for all of the advice and support over the last 9 months, I honestly don't know how I would have got through my pregnancy without PF :love:

So - as some of you know, I went and had my sweep on Monday 15 August (day before my due date). It was horrendously painful but I was hopeful it would get things started as the MW had said my cervix was very favorable (which was good, especially being a first time Mum), and I was already 1cm dilated. I came home, pottered around and waited for the pain to commence... Subsequently bugger all happened on Monday :roll:

Tuesday afternoon, Al finished work early and literally as soon as he walked in the door at 4.20pm, I felt my first contraction :yay: I didn't say anything to him as I was unsure if it was the real thing, but I had a soak in the tub to see if anything would progress and I had a few more tightenings but nothing major so went to bed and slept it off.

Woke up early Weds morning to the same pains and I genuinely thought it would start to progress that day, so I asked Al to stay at home (he was more than happy to not be at work!) The contractions were coming on and off all day but every time I started to time them, they would peter off :wall: Thoroughly fed up by the evening, I went for another bath and got into bed as Twilight was starting on Channel 4 (the things you remember!) Out of nowhere, the pains started to get horrific - every 3 mins, lasting 1 min :shock: Rang the hospital who said have another bath, some paracetamol and ring back in an hour :roll: I didn't have the bath as I'd had about 32 that day but I did take one paracetamol. An hour later the contractions were pretty intense, so we rang back and they said come in. Off we went, bags packed, very excited, contractions still regular etc and I think we both thought, "this is it!", so imagine our disappointment when the MW examined me, said I was only 1cm, not in labour and sent me home :cry: She gave me some codeine, said to get some food and sleep and see how it went, so off we poodled to MacD's and then back home - minus baby :brat:

Managed to get some sleep that night but I still had regular-ish contractions. By 4am Thursday, I had to get up and sit on the ball. Pretty much all day they were 6 mins apart, lasting 1 minute and by dinner time I was feeling pretty hard done by that I wasn't making any progress. I had been booked in for induction on 25 August and kept having visions of being in early labour all week until that point. Had a right old whinge to Al over fish & chips then once again resounded myself to the fact it wasn't going to happen today so I may as well go and get some rest. Took myself off upstairs, lay on the bed and again, as soon as I started to relax my contractions started to get very sore. I didn't even bother looking at the clock to time them as I was convinced they were stop again, but after a few minutes of lying there, out of nowhere I felt a *pop* and my waters broke!

We jumped up, Al ran to get a towel, I rang delivery and the next minute we were in the car on the way back to hospital. At this point, the contractions were unbearable. They were coming very quickly with very little respite in between. I said to Al there was no way I could walk from the carpark so he dropped me off at the door while he parked the car and I waddled in. Started having a contraction in the lobby and I remember a load of people coming in after looking at me quite oddly until a woman who I assume worked there, very kindly pointed me in the right direction :blush: The MLBU was closed so I was rushed into the first room that was free in Delivery. As the contractions were coming so fast I started to feel very panicky and out of control and when the MW, Pat offered me some gas and air I started to cry. All of a sudden I felt like "I can't do this!" :-(

Al arrived shortly afterwards and Pat and Lucy, the Student MW, said they would examine me. I managed to get on the bed and get my bottoms off but it was not easy. Lucy examined me and said I was a good 5cm :yay: Pat, as the senior MW had to check and she confirmed I was definitely 5cm. I don't know if it had anything to do with them both having a rummage up there, but after the examination the pain (already the worst of my life) stepped up a massive gear. There was no break between contractions and I started to beg for pethidine. My birth plan said explicitly no pethidine but I could not cope with the pain. They asked if I was sure and when I said I was desperate, off Pat went! In between Pat going to get the drugs and Lucy saying I should try to get on to the birthing ball, I started to feel like I needed to push. I said to Lucy about it and she asked if it was in my back passage :blush: I said I wasn't sure and she said if it wasn't, I didn't need to push. Literally a couple of minutes later I desperately felt the urge to push again and when Pat came back with the drugs, she said she would check me to be sure before she gave me the pethidine. I don't even remember how or where she examined me but I did know she was now saying "You're fully dilated, hop up on the bed I can't deliver you like this!" :shock: :shock: :shock:

Got on the bed, still in my Sarah Jessica Parker "Fashion is not a Luxury" t-shirt (no time to change!) and the next bit is a bit of a blur. I was howling like a banshee and even in my own head I was thinking "shut the frick up" but I could not stop myself. I managed to regain some control as I really listened to what the MW's were saying about my breathing and using the energy I was wasting on screaming to push.

I pushed for about 25 mins, two big pushes with each contraction - I think they wanted three pushes but I just couldn't. I remember alot of pain as her head came out but after that it was very quick and she was here...

I arrived at the hospital at 7.15pm and by 8.16pm, Brooke Summer Billington was born :pompom: :love: :yay: Al told me she was a girl and I was thrilled (I secretly so badly wanted a girl!) I tore quite badly, well they said it wasn't bad, just awkward and about five people came in an attempt to stitch me up before a surgeon/doctor type person came to do the job... This part was actually more traumatic in some respects as I was fully alert for this whereas delivering Brooke occured in a haze of delirium...!

She is truly amazing. I cannot even put into words how much I love her. As I've been writing this I keep glancing at her next to me in her Moses basket just to look at her face and to see her breathing and wriggling. She has changed my life in every single way and I feel so incredibly blessed. I would literally do anything for her, anything. I would go through the pain of labour 100 million times over to have her. It's so weird because I feel like I've moaned about my Mum a lot during my pregnancy but over night I understand it's because she loves me just like I love Brooke and the love I feel for Brooke would having me sobbing all night long (I am an emotional wreck tonight - prob something to do with the 5 hours sleep I've had since I had her...!)

Anyway, this has been long enough so well done if you made it this far ;-) Oh, just quickly - her feeding is going well - she is feeding from me every 4 hours and until my milk properly comes in I have been offering her 30ml of formula at the end of her feeds just in case she doesn't have enough. This has made such a difference already as I know now when she cries it's not because she's hungry and it's probably because she wants a cuddle (or more likely, has done a poo!) When my milk does comes in the plan is to express, so Daddy can help too and if I have to top her up with the bottle, I'm still giving her my milk. Touch wood she is taking well from nipple and teat and this will continue :)

Right, I'm off to wrap up my nipples for the next hour and a half before my piglet needs another feed - goodnight all xxx

http://
Brooke-6days2.jpg

Brooke-6days.jpg

http://

Last edited:
omg uve done brilliantly! :) i think the idea of formula at end of feed is fantastic and im so pleased its working for you! i abso love what u called her!! :D and ur avatar is lush!! :D xxx

What a fab birth story you lucky bugger been in hospital for an hour with you first think mine was about 16 hours. You made me all teary thinking about the first few minutes there born and the rush of love you feel for them, enjoy every moment as it go's so fast congratulations xxxxxx

:yay:

Congratulations!! You've done amazing!! She's gorgeous.

How long did you stay in hospital for after the birth?

It actually made me cry a bit when you were talking about your love for your baby, it brings back so many memories of thinking that with my first and she's 7. The feelings just soooo dont go away, I still want to wrap her up and give her hugs and kisses all day!

:)

Oooh ur prob feeding and nursing ur princess now u lucky duck!!! Xxx

Beautiful story!! I'm just so thrilled for you!! So glad she's here :yay:
Xxxxx

Well done and congrats Jen, she's a beauty!!
I had a feeling you'd have her that day!! x x

amazing story.....you did so well petal xxx

so did you get the pethadine in the end or did you do it with just gas and air?? xxx

You done Fab Hun, brooke is beautifull well done & congratulations xx

Lovely story Jen and Brooke is beautiful! Congratulations xxx

---
-

Congratulations Jen. Beautiful name for a beautiful girl. xx

:love: I'm so happy for you. Love your birth story and glad you're enjoying being a Mummy :hug:

xxx

Fantastic birth story Hun - huge congrats and well done to you xxxx

Wow, you did so amazing. Congratulations, she's beautiful and a beautiful name too.

Got a bit choked up reading that xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back