Breastfeeding Question

Rosieroo

Reaction score
If you've fed and your boobies are soft and squishy so you know there is nothing else in there, what do you do if your baby is still acting hungry?

My milk supply is so bloody annoying. Yesterday I had loads and 10oz in the fridge that I expressed off for her over the course of the day (and middle of the night before) which helped in the evening. But this afternoon I am dry as a bone and only have 5oz to help out. Have drunk plenty and eaten.

I don't geddit!

Hmmm, it's an awkward one, I found that expressing didn't seem to affect things, like you my milk was up and down.

I tended to use my boob as a dummie as I didn't want Dom on a dummie, he just liked to suck for comfort even though they were empty. Sometimes Dom would get satisfied even on an empty one.

Infact just fed him and put him down for the night, and at night (early evening) your milk tends to be less then as you feed a lot in the day, so there is not much really for Dom to have, I just let him guide me. So he will have a comfort suck and a wee bit of milk from my practically empty boob, then he is settled enough to go down.

Not sure if that helped really...sorry :shock:

Floppy boobs do not necessarily mean no milk. Brody will have a feed from my boobs even when it feels to me like there's nothing there.

urchin said:
Floppy boobs do not necessarily mean no milk. Brody will have a feed from my boobs even when it feels to me like there's nothing there.

Ahhhhh that's interesting. I was worried as they felt and looked like spaniels ears ;) so didn't think there could possibly be anything in there!

Do you think that as she's sleeping longer (or was, don't know what tonight has in store!), that as my boobs aren't getting used in the night as much that might make them stop producing as much milk?

rosieroo said:
Do you think that as she's sleeping longer (or was, don't know what tonight has in store!), that as my boobs aren't getting used in the night as much that might make them stop producing as much milk?

Hmmm, it's a possibility, you could try expressing in the evening if you are worried. All babies eventually sleep through though so your body should just adjust to this on it's own. Just make sure you drink LOADS, seriously, when I drink a pint of water, within an hour or 2 I can feel the difference in my boobs!

I,ve noticed that my boobs are feeling softer recently, my HV said that it was my body getting used to Seren's demand for milk and it is now settling down so I don't seem to get as engorged. I still leak if i don't feed her at a certain time even though boobs are soft.

Minikins, Seren also uses me as a dummy, we started her on a dummy as it was causing me a lot of pain but she won't take it from me as she knows there is something else she can have. Now I am better with the feeding so will let her suck for comfort. I find dhe tends to settle herself down a lot better if I let her do that. I went out with OH last night for a ouple of hours and when I got home she just wanted to be on the boob for 2 hours!!

2 hours bless, draining I would imagine but nice and snuggling.

Dom sleeps through the night and has done (on and off) since he was about two months. This had not affected my milk supply and I don't express. The only time I express is if he has slept through the night, then takes once massive full and painful boob in the morning, as all the milk is stored, then the other boob is still full and needs to be emptied so I am in no more pain.

Minikins, if he sleeps through do you find yourself waking up at 4am with big hard boobies, dribbling milk everywhere? I've been having to get up and express off :(

i sympathise with the boulder boobs during the night!! have woken up sodden and the bed too!! is really uncomfortable!

My boobs after about 3 months felt like they were empty but ewan gets a good feed from them - i was told its just your body getting use to supply and demand!

rosieroo said:
Minikins, if he sleeps through do you find yourself waking up at 4am with big hard boobies, dribbling milk everywhere? I've been having to get up and express off :(

This did happen the first few times so I expressed in the wee hours, then my milk adjusted so it's fine now. And when he has been poorly and up a few times in the night he feeds more again and I start making more milk. So it seems milk does adjust accordingly either way. Nature has it's own way of doing things so our babies always get what they need, even if the mummies don't ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back