breastfeeding and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Postnatal Questions' started by kazzie-bo, Sep 29, 2008.

1. kazzie-bo

kazzie-bo Well-Known Member

hi sorry if this is the wrong place.....

has anyone got pregnant whilst exclusively breastfeeding?

still trying to find a suitable contraceptive for me to use and was wondering about the risks in the meantime.

thanks
    kaz x

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

It can happen.

I'd be inclined to go with condoms until you decide on something permanent.

Have you talked to your GP about options?

3. LisaJ1986

LisaJ1986 Well-Known Member

I'm also struggling with this. I had the depo but put on loads of weight. I'm not trusted with the mini pill as it needs to be taken same time every day! Can't take the main pill coz of breastfeeding. And we struggle to find condoms...erm...big enough :oops:

4. trixipaws

trixipaws Well-Known Member

i read up on this. BFing is a 99% effective form of contraception if:

* yr baby is less than 6 months old.

* u have not had a period yet.

* u do not give yr baby ANY formula, water, solids, expressed milk or dummies/soothers/pacifiers.

i used exclusive BFing as my only contraception until millie was 5 months old. its supposedly safe for 6 months but i didnt wanna risk it. i had some pages on my favourites but i lost all my favourties and cookies etc when my laptop died, its all blank now! do a google search on it, u will find the stuff.

5. kazzie-bo

kazzie-bo Well-Known Member

ok thanks girls,
    so if we wanated to try for another we would have to wait most probably until i weaned him??

my body doesn't like progesterone so i struggle with alot of contraceptions and condoms well i have a nearly 11 year old to show for them!!

6. maybebaby

maybebaby Well-Known Member

I don't know how much of a coincidence it was but when we started TTC I was still breastfeeding my son 2 feeds a day. I ended up conceiving almost exactly 2 weeks after I stopped breastfeeding him (around his birthday)! I was having periods etc so no idea if it was connected or not...

I think it's probably safest if you don't rely on it as a form of contraception but understand that it may affect your fertility.