Breast Pads - Washable or Disposable?

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by Zodiac, Dec 6, 2007.

?

Disposable or Washable Breast pads

1. Disposable

2. Washable

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zodiac

Zodiac Well-Known Member

Which would you recommend?

How much do you actually leak - do you just need one pad in each cup per day, or it it like changing nappies.... many times a day :shock:

I've also seen advertised some plastic cap thingys that go over your nipples.... but quite frankly that just seems weird! Anyone tried em?

2. muppetmummy

muppetmummy Well-Known Member

I voted disposable because with James I got through several pads a day and if I didn't change them regularly enough I got a huge wet patch on my t-shirt. I think you'll have enough dirty washing with the baby without washing breat pads too :D

3. elaine22

elaine22 Well-Known Member

I tried washable at first but they quickly get soaked and felt very uncomfortable. Now I use Johnson's breast pads as they are really thick and comfy and have a sticky patch so they stay in place in your bra. You'd better stock up on a load because when your milk properly comes in you'll get through loads :D

4. trixipaws

trixipaws Well-Known Member

washable ones are nicer and comfier (i find disposables a bit scratchy around the edge)
    but i used disposables at first coz i leaked lots. my boobs hav got used to how much milk they need to make now so they dont leak as much- some days i dont even wear breast pads.
    i guess for the first few months disposables are better coz washables just get soaked right thru :lol:
    oh and annoyingly, one of them always gets stuck in the washing mashine rubber in a pool of water dripping wet :wall:

5. trixipaws

trixipaws Well-Known Member

the plastic things- lilypadz? i think emmylou tried them, ill pm her for u.

6. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

I use both because one is never enough. I wear one washable with one disposable ontop of it. I change them about 3 times a day.

7. jayla's mummy

jayla's mummy Well-Known Member

disposable...LOADS!!!!!

8. leckershell

leckershell Well-Known Member

EXACTLY what she said :D

:clap:

9. Kylie1007

Kylie1007 Well-Known Member

I had disposable ones to start with but use washable now. On the plus side they are good to wipe baby's mouth with as they arent stuck in :rotfl: they also stay in place and wash easily but they tend to be a bit fluffy and because milk is sticky, you get fluff stuck to the nipple!
    I only leak when i'm very full - which is rare with my hunger monster!

10. nathanmum

nathanmum Well-Known Member

i never tried washable ones. i would recommend paying a bit more for disposable ones as theyre more comfortable. i hated the cheap ones especially when i got sore as they stuck and it hurt alot!

11. Emmylou

Emmylou Well-Known Member

I used Lilypadz for a while whilst bf'ing, in the early weeks they are a waste of time as there is so much milk leaking they just come off and can't hold it all.

In the early weeks I first used washable but didn't like them as I found the outline of them could be seen through the bra and usually through my top too :wall:

Then onto disposables, I loved them! Used Johnsons ones, thought they were great - you get through loads so stock up whenever you see them on offer especially!

I used Lilypadz after about 6/7 weeks when my milk had settled, using disosables at night, I thought they were great & even though I no longer breast feed I wore them the other day when I went out in a top I couldn't wear a bra with & didn't wanna look like I was smuggling peanuts :lol:

I just washed them regularly ( in bathroom sink wth soap & water) shook them dry, and popped them back in :D

12. Lola's Mummy

Lola's Mummy Well-Known Member

I use disposables and change them a few times a day. I normally buy boots ultra slim :)

13. KJ

KJ Well-Known Member

tommee tippee disposable ones!

I've tried washable and they're crap! Kept moving out of place and didn't curve round the breast properly.

Cheap disposables are pretty bad aswell though.

K.xx

14. Riley's Mommy

Riley's Mommy Well-Known Member

i used disposable alot. but find that the washable ones are much nicer.

you tend to leak more in the early days. when your milk is establishing.

15. lauramumof2

lauramumof2 Well-Known Member

I used to cut an always ultra in half and use them :rotfl:

16. lozzi

lozzi Well-Known Member

:rotfl:

thats sooo funny :D

When i was preg, i hated the idea of wasting all them breast pads, so i started off with washable, but there crap....

they leak everywere, especially in the early days

I much prefered disposables, i LOVED sainsburys own brand..

I dont use them anymore, i am still breastfeeding, BUT they dont seem to need them, i think my boobs have adjusted to producing required milk not squirty milk ;) haha

17. Gemma & Jake

Gemma & Jake Well-Known Member

I tried the washable ones and I thought they were rubbish so I have voted disposable. I went through quite a few a day though. I think the best ones are Boots slim breast pads. I found them to be alot more absorbant than other brands I tried. They have a sticky tab on the back so that they stay in place and I think they are designed well.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_detai ... id=1048045

18. Funkylady

Funkylady Well-Known Member

I used boots own disposables and got through TONNES of them! I literally changed them as much as I changed my pads, which was almost every 2 hours or so!

ooooh the memories! *shudders*

xxx