Breast is Best?

(*)FebBaby(*)

Reaction score
Just wondering what the feeding plan was for you and your little un'?

I am really keen to try breastfeeding but my OH is really adamant about helping with the feeds during the night so we were thinking about doing a mixture of both :think: but not sure.

Is anyone got any views? Or for second time mums that have breastfed their other childer - how did you find it?

apparently its not good to do both early on.. after a month or so i think you can..

im going to breast feed..

i'm going to breast feed too :) my midwife has said that it will be fine for my OH to help out with feeding but that we should wait for 6 weeks until breast feeding is fully established. that's cool with us :):)

Lis is right... If you try and do both in the beginning... more often than not your breast feeding will fail... for one you won't be able to get your milk flow properly established and two theres a big risk of nipple confusion.

Apparently laziness is built into humans from birth... :rotfl: and the baby will be much happier to take the bottle because it doesn't need to work as hard... also formula isn't absorbed very well by a baby's stomach so it will sit on there, making them feel fuller for longer...so they will prefer the formula.

If you really want to breast feed... get your OH to do all the other things that are involved in having a baby (trust me there are loads :roll:) washing, dressing, changing nappies, burping..

Also theres a good chance that if you have a big hungry baby, they will require top ups of formula... which you can give them in a cup... your OH can do that... but be warned.. they are usually sick after :rotfl: Personal experience here.. you might not want to stand infront of the baby... :rotfl:

After a couple of weeks you can start expressing milk to be used through the night... and then OH can help with feeding too... :)

I'm going to breast feed again... just because I'm a lazy cow and can't be arsed with formula and bottles... although I do have some for expressing and possible top ups...

BREAST breast breast

all the way

nothing else until baby is 6months old at least

its the only thing that is specifically designed for YOUR baby and noone else! its the best way to go

happy feeding :)

I'm breastfeeding and night time wake up calls are hard because you have to get up every time, even if your OH changes the nappy. However, I know that I am giving my little boy the best start to life that I can give him. I'd chose one way of feeding and stick to that - if you're going to breastfeed and give formula, wait until breastfeeding is established first.

I did both with my boy to start with but in the end he just used breast as a comforter to sleep more than to drink so my milk eventually started to dry up. You will know once your lo is born what you want to do. I wasnt going to breastfeed until i met him, then i decided i would try it.

(*)FebBaby(*) said:
I am really keen to try breastfeeding but my OH is really adamant about helping with the feeds during the night so we were thinking about doing a mixture of both :think: but not sure.

My OH Is Also Adamant That He Wants To Help With The Feeds & I Also Would Rather Bottle Feeding Eventually But At First I Will Be Breast Feeding. I Know It May Be Confusing For The Baby To Start Off Breastfeeding & Then Switch But But I Just Want To Breast Feed For The First 2 Days, Enough To Pass Over All My Imunities & Goodness Etc :) Then I'll Be Bottle Feeding xxx

who told you the baby gets your immunitys in jsut 2 days carly? dunno if thats true.. its obviously up to you tho..

If you breastfeed for just one month, it will have health benefits for the 1st 14 years of your child's life!

lisa&alex said:
who told you the baby gets your immunitys in jsut 2 days carly? dunno if thats true.. its obviously up to you tho..
most people recommend that even if you dont breat feed completely you do it for first few days at least to give baby collustrum (wrong spelling i know) to pass on the antibodies you have so helps baby with their immune system :)

Sweetcheeks24 said:
lisa&alex said:
most people recommend that even if you dont breat feed completely you do it for first few days at least to give baby collustrum (wrong spelling i know) to pass on the antibodies you have so helps baby with their immune system :)

Yep :) I Had a Long Chat With Two Midwives About This & Even The First 6 Feeds Will Provide a Huge Majority Of Immunites & Anti-Bodies. Im Deffinately Going To Try! I Cant Really Put a Time On It Thought, Maybe I'll Do It For The First day, Maybe Two.. Maybe Three....

well i never knew that.. dont feel so bad now for only feeding charl for 3 days..

i'm going to breast feed, there's plenty of things the oh can do without feeds

Breastfeed and get your OH to help by doing all the nappies :wink: (I know which of the two I'd rather do)

Fluffy Bunny said:
Breastfeed and get your OH to help by doing all the nappies :wink: (I know which of the two I'd rather do)

Oh yes especially during those almighty all over body runny poo's... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

just to warn you Carly, the first few days of feeding are the worst. Because you don't produce much colostrum, so the baby sucks and sucks and nipples get quite sore.

Also, if you let your baby have colostrum and then stop feeding, your milk will still come in after a few days, as your baby's feeding stimulates it. Once your milk comes in, you will be VERY engorged, and it will be uncomfotable and maybe even painful. Once the milk is in, if you're not breastfeeding, there's more of a risk of blocked milk ducts and mastitis, as the baby is not flushing out all the milk. Conversely, once the milk is in if you are breastfeeding, all the soreness and cracked nipples should go away as baby doesn't have to feed all the time and is not sucking as hard.

You'd have to have a good plan of how to gradually diminish your supply safely if your baby is not breastfeeding. ie. get a good breast pump and follow advice on how much to pump each day to let the milk dry out.
I'm still feeding after 2 months and I can honestly say, it's a relief when Ash feeds, as by feed time, you need the baby to empty your breasts to make them more confortable.

Just something to think about.

K.xx

lisa&alex said:

I was told by my health visitor that a few days is more beneficiary then nothing at all :D

I bottle feed btw, after unsuccesful BF and i like it now as im not the only one who has to get up during the night :wink:

I am going to breast feed then after a few months I will be expressing so the my hubby can share the roll. :D

I plan to breast feed then once it's established give one formula feed a day. This is because with my 2nd I breastfed for 6 months and it was a nightmare trying to wean him off me.

That way when I want to give up I can increase formula feeds gradually thus reducing my milk supply without too much stress to either of us..........hopefully! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back