Breast feeding as contraception?

Gotta ov to get period so I assume I'd ov first.. Looked into it all coz I hadn't had a period since baby.. I usually have ov pains due to pcos so I always know when I'm ovulating.. Not had that yet either..

Last edited:
Oh I know girls that have become pregnant whilst BF!!
I was chatting to my doc about this today, she said if its less than 8 hrs between feeds then it should prevent ovulation but it's not guaranteed. Not willing to take the risk lol x

Princess, do you know how old their babies were when they got pregnant again? I think its more common after 6 months.

As for the 8 hour thing, well I'd love Jack to sleep for 8 hours but at the moment I get a max of 5 hours!! How do you manage such a long time over night Jayceesmumma?

She's been doing it from about 4weeks.. I don't know of its what's working but I feed her in bed with me and then swaddle her when I put her down only for her last feed.. So that's her routine really only being fed in my bed and swaddled.. During the day I wrap her loosely.. She sleeps so much in the day only awake for max 2hours.. I don't cuddle her or rock her coz I made that mistake with my first! Used to take two hours to get her to sleep coz I rocked her to sleep as a baby! She's hardly ever held only when she's awake with family members.. Always in her little chair :) forever dozing off lol! I'm expecting her to change soon and be more alert in the day..

She's so used to sleeping alot I can get her in the car for the school run and feed her when I get home.. She usually wakes every four hrs on the dot but there are times I have to wake her.. Is this normal?? Do u think he's getting enough milk?? I'm worried she's exhausted from not getting enough as she seems to do ten mins max on each breast and the let down only lasts a couple of mins where I hear her swallowing and sucking noises like she's on a bottle (my mum says that's what she sounds like lol) but then she seems to slow down her suck and can't see her swallowing.. She's started to headbutt an get angry at the end of each side too..

She's been doing it from about 4weeks.. I don't know of its what's working but I feed her in bed with me and then swaddle her when I put her down only for her last feed.. So that's her routine really only being fed in my bed and swaddled.. During the day I wrap her loosely.. She sleeps so much in the day only awake for max 2hours.. I don't cuddle her or rock her coz I made that mistake with my first! Used to take two hours to get her to sleep coz I rocked her to sleep as a baby! She's hardly ever held only when she's awake with family members.. Always in her little chair :) forever dozing off lol! I'm expecting her to change soon and be more alert in the day..

She's so used to sleeping alot I can get her in the car for the school run and feed her when I get home.. She usually wakes every four hrs on the dot but there are times I have to wake her.. Is this normal?? Do u think he's getting enough milk?? I'm worried she's exhausted from not getting enough as she seems to do ten mins max on each breast and the let down only lasts a couple of mins where I hear her swallowing and sucking noises like she's on a bottle (my mum says that's what she sounds like lol) but then she seems to slow down her suck and can't see her swallowing.. She's started to headbutt an get angry at the end of each side too..

Sounds like you are doing everything right, must really help having the experience. I think I'm doing everything wrong, Jack will never sleep until 10pm every night. When family and friends are over he is held all day and never put down - I don't know how to stop this. When its just me and I try to put him down during the day he screams, I do just leave him but have such a headache after! The only thing that stops him crying is the vacuum cleaner or hair dryer. He doesn't sleep much in the day - the odd hour here and there.

I'd say if shes putting on weight as you'd expect you are doing a great job. She would definitely let you know if she wasn't getting enough. You are doing so well, I can't imagine having school age children too and having to fit in the school run and everything else!

I have learnt from my mistakes! Lol! Believe me I suffered enough to know what I need to do and what NOT to do lol! Everyone I've known who has been preg has had the same advice from me, when u say no to anything keep to it, give in once and you'll regret it for a long time! And always let baby fall asleep on their own.. Never rock! Thankfully my OH shares my views on baby not being held all the time coz it's his parents first grandchild and he tells them to put her down after a quick cuddle.. Only when she's awake tho noone wakes her!
My advice to you would be to put your foot down and tell other people they can't hold your baby for too long.. When he's older it's fine but as a baby they should be put down.. My sister had a nightmare with her first baby she screamed to be rocked constantly!! Never heard a kid scream so much and she hated everyone but me and her so noone else could even look at her without her screaming! I spent a few days with her and told my sister to just wrap her tight like she was being cuddled and put her down on her side slightly within two days she was an angel for going to sleep on her own! Ellie had gastric reflux and was screaming alot so it was do hard for me but I done the same, propped a blanket behind her so she was on her side and she slept so well so fast! I put a small blanket under all their mattresses so they aren't fully flat as I found when they are put flat from being held slightly up they get disturbed so u can try that too.. Simulating being cuddled usually helps! Seriously though your gonna have to tell people not to hold him that often or your gonna be pulling your hair out.. It may seem unfair to family and friends but you are the one that has to settle him every night and live with the crying :(

Last edited:
Thanks I will definitely start trying to stop people holding him too long , think people will start thinking I'm being a bit rude but theres nothing worse than a baby that screams all day. Thanks for the advice on putting a blanket under the mattress, thats a really good idea. I can't blame them for not being to comfy lying flat on their back. I'm a little worried about putting Jack to sleep on his side as they say to only put them on their back although I'm sure he probably will sleep on his side as he gets older!

Hes being very good today and slept 6 hours straight last night so I'm very happy :)

Ahh bless him that's great he's doing better!! Just explain it to them the reasons why and I'm sure they'll be fine.. If not then they'll have to deal with it lol! Let me know how u get on if you go for it :)

The side thing is usually to just get them to sleep and it's not fully on the side just a tad raised.. Can always take it away after they've dozed off :)

Lilyanna had her first jabs today.. She slept thru the first one.. Let out a lil cry with the second, gave the woman a dirty look and went back to sleep lol!!
She was feeding evey hr yesterday from after school til 3am I Duno what was wrong but she seems ok now! Fast asleep again and just finished feeding her after feeding at 9:30am.. I was worried she wasn't getting enough milk so I had her weighed today (10lb exactly :) ) and gonna get her weighed next week too to see if she's doing ok.. She was 9.9lb on 22nd dec.. That's ok isn't it?...

Last edited:
Ah bless her, has she been feeding since her jabs? I found Jack slept a little more after his and fed slightly less but then hes a very big boy - Just had him weighed and hes 14lbs8oz!!! Hes put on a whole lbs since 20th December. Hes totally out grown most of his 0-3 month clothes at 9 weeks!!(His birth weight was 8lbs14oz so he is a big baby -hes tracking exactly on the 91st percentile).

10lbs sounds like a reasonable weight, what percentile is she on? Bless her she must still be so small compared to Jack. I'm sure she will feed if she needs to so I wouldn't worry xx

My periods started again when my LO was 2.5 months old, and were perfectly regular and I fell pregnant while breastfeeding. We only dtd once that cycle and I got preggo!!

Even my midwife says breastfeeding as contraception is a bad idea lol (we weren't using it as contraception obvs as I was having periods, but I hear alot of ppl do and it doesn't work very often!)

She weighed 9.9lb on 22nd dec and 10lb exactly today.. She was 7.4lb born and has just grown out of her tiny baby clothes she wore in hospital! She started just above the 50th then went just below it, then 25th and now halfway between 9th and 25th.. That's not good is it? I weighed her myself in the baby weighing room today so noone has looked at it but I'm gonna get her weighed Wednesday at the same place when the clinic is on so I'll ask then..
She's been crying alot after n was hot so she's had calpol and now settled.. Will see how she feeds now..

Oh god :shock: how old was ur baby when u fell preg bfing??

My periods started again when my LO was 2.5 months old, and were perfectly regular and I fell pregnant while breastfeeding. We only dtd once that cycle and I got preggo!!

Even my midwife says breastfeeding as contraception is a bad idea lol (we weren't using it as contraception obvs as I was having periods, but I hear alot of ppl do and it doesn't work very often!)

Well we will soon see if Maria is right, I think you should be our test guinea pig! xx

She weighed 9.9lb on 22nd dec and 10lb exactly today.. She was 7.4lb born and has just grown out of her tiny baby clothes she wore in hospital! She started just above the 50th then went just below it, then 25th and now halfway between 9th and 25th.. That's not good is it? I weighed her myself in the baby weighing room today so noone has looked at it but I'm gonna get her weighed Wednesday at the same place when the clinic is on so I'll ask then..
She's been crying alot after n was hot so she's had calpol and now settled.. Will see how she feeds now..

Oh god :shock: how old was ur baby when u fell preg bfing??

I think the Hvs like them to stay on their percentile line so I'm pretty sure they will have something to say but just ignore it! Perhaps just try to squeeze in another feed even if it means waking her up. If shes happy I don't think its a problem thoughxx

Sod being guinea pig lol! I might get pg lol!!
Will see how things go seeing as we've had an accident..

Yeah maybe they'll say something as it seems it's quite a drop.. She's happy tho.. V sleepy so maybe she really isn't getting enough and exhausted coz of no energy!? She fed very well from my left side I had to wake her for that.. And had to almost force her to feed on my right after ten mins on my left lol and she's still sleeping soundly now! So looks like the calpol has helped her :) I'm gonna try my best to get her weight up again before her next weigh..xx

lol no I don't blame you, The thought of having 2 babies under a year old is a little scary!! Thats why I made myself start taking the mini pill (cerazette) but I'm not happy as I only started taking it this week and I now have brown discharge - so must just be old blood but its quite a lot!!

Hope Lilyanna puts on a little more weight but I'm sure shes doing fine so don't worry. Jack usually falls asleep on the boob too although he generally feeds every 3 hours or just under in the evenings. I think 10 mins is reasonably good, she must have enough if she stops xx

Thanks babe :)
Just get worried when ppl like my mum say there must be something wrong with her coz she's sleeping so much.. Can literally change her bum with v cold wipes, get her snowsuit and hat on, in car seat do the school run and get home without waking her even slightly!
Sod 2kids under 1!!! :shock:
I can't take that pill either :(
Sounds like old blood.. Give it another cycle and see how u go on it ur body needs to adjust itself to it..x

Last edited:
She's been dribbling alot the past couple of days but just bubbles on her lips.. Just looked at her and it's actually poured out her mouth.. Not spit up coz it's clear.. She can't be teething can she??

Wow can't believe you manage to do all that and she doesn't wake up. Lucky I guess imagine trying to juggle a screaming baby while getting your girls ready and off to school!
Is there anything you can use as contraception ? I'm just thinking that as your lo sleeps through the night I doubt breastfeeding will make much difference to your fertility!

As for the dribbling thing Jack has started doing this too!! I had to change his top today because it was soaked! It is much too young for teething though isn't it? xx

I know I'm so lucky to have her.. She's making up for the crap she put me thru in pregnancy lol!!

Babies can be born with teeth so I suppose any age! A mum at schools baby is 3 weeks older than lilyanna and she cut her first two teeth at Xmas! Both my girls were 6months old, Jaycee had her first two teeth on Xmas day lol!
Don't know if it would be better for them to be younger or not!

I read about this a few weeks ago and I heard women say they fell pregnant whilst BF.
I'm sure you'll be fine though. Me and OH DTD last night without protection :shock:, Hopefully I'll be fine too? :lol: xxx

Hmmmm now don't know whether its because I've started the mini pill a week ago but I now seem to be having a period!! I don't think anyone could be breastfeeding more than me, my lo is always hungry!

I think you are suppose to start using some form of contraception from 21 days after giving birth ( I obviously didn't as I only started a week ago!) I don't understand why the postpartum check up is 6 weeks as it seems a lot of people start having sex before then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back