Breast feeders - please help!!!

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
Last night little man fed from around 7.30 til midnight. Not continuously but almost.
He'd happily feed from one boob, finish, he'd be asleep, I'd put him in his basket, 5 mins later he'd start stirring, is try to soothe, no luck. I'd look in and he'd be feasting on his hand like he'd never seen food!
I'd get him out, feed him on other boob - repeat above scenario!
And again, and again - for hours!!!
He was deffo getting milk (swallowing, good latch, milk around mouth etc).
Now he's fed a bit less today but he's just had three boobs in the last two hours and I'm worried that tonight will be a repeat of last night.
I'm shattered.
Anyone else experienced this?
Please tell me it's just a phase. Never had this with my others x

Try a pacifier? Maybe it's the comfort he seeks? If he Dosent settle with that then he is probably really hungry and no much you can do?
It will probably take a while to establish your supply.

How old is he?

Sounds to me like a growth spurt or cluster feeding. It will pass, just stick with it. The more you feed him, the more your supply will increase and the more satisfied he will become xx

K went thru a little phase of this, how old is he again? Could he be having a growth spurt? Cluster feeds are quite common tho, I *think* it's something to do with stretching their tummies to allow for bigger feeds, but it's been 4 years since K was born lol xx

Try a pacifier? Maybe it's the comfort he seeks? If he Dosent settle with that then he is probably really hungry and no much you can do?
It will probably take a while to establish your supply.

I thought about that but he is actually feeding when he's on the boob, he's not messing about with it iykwim. I can hear him drinking x

I did google and read about cluster feeding but this seems extreme!
Having a baby attached to my boob for 4 hours is not fun.
Anyone know if this cluster feeding passes quickly? x

Jack did that early on too but his favourite time was like 2am-5am!!! Still a night feeder and likes 7pm-10pm. Not constantly but more than rest of the day. I used to think he was filling himself up to sleep all night. That was until dreaded 4 month sleep regression hit :-(

He is probably establishing supply if he is actually drinking. Unfortunately night time is when they do it because its the most effective time (prolactin levels). How is he during the day?
It can last couple of days hun

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

He's quite variable through out the day tbh.
Today he fed at 5am, 7.45, 10.15, 1.20, 4pm, 4.40 and I can hear him stirring downstairs with daddy (I've tried to escape for a bath!)
I'm dreading tonight :( x

He's quite variable through out the day tbh.
Today he fed at 5am, 7.45, 10.15, 1.20, 4pm, 4.40 and I can hear him stirring downstairs with daddy (I've tried to escape for a bath!)
I'm dreading tonight :( x

Its so hard in the early days hun. Big hug. Can your DH take him during the day so you can catch some zzzz?

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

He does take him but tbh I've never been a good day time sleeper iykwim.
I do try to rest when I can and oh is so good, he'll sort all the kids out and let me rest. It's just the continuous- ness (don't think that's a word) of it all, it's really getting me down x

It can feel relentless can't it? :hug: tbh it's the reason I stopped bf E, both mine slept like angels their first night and then literally fed all night on their second! I stuck it out with K cos I only had her, but with E, I knew I had K at home too and needed my sleep :blush: it does get easier tho xx

Many times last night I asked myself was it worth it, if only I had a bottle to give etc etc but I'm a stubborn cow and I won't let it beat me.
I'm clinging to the hope that this phase will pass very soon.
It is relentless, that's a very apt word, spot on.
I couldn't even go for a wee last night without him crying x

It will pass hun and he's just getting your supply up

Did you bf your others?

I did yeah, I even bf the twins. The twins were constantly on there too for a while but I thought it would be easier with just the one.
I can't remember this with my first two singletons, or maybe I've blocked it out ;) x

Yep we had this in the begining was shattered and frustrated, stick with it Hun, it will get better he's just getting your supply up. X

Thanks love, I'll deffo keep going, I'm too stubborn to give up ;)
It's just soooo tiring x

Sound like he is establishing supply Hun. C did the exact same thing xx

I think you're right you probably lust blocked out all those early memories- tbh I struggle remembering how it was and it was only 6 months ago!!!

Keep going you're a fab mummy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back