breastfeeding - milk supply help :(

leckershell

Reaction score
The past few days I've really been struggling... I think my milk supply is getting less :(

I wrote it in another post too, but Ryan's not been putting on weight the past few weeks - 4oz - and the Health Visitors are keeping an eye on it :(

Last night he woke up 8pm, 11pm, 430am and 630am, and though I fed him on all but the 8pm, he just didn't seem satisfied, but my boobs felt like he'd emptied them. He keeps going on, sucking for a little bit and then coming off and getting stressed :(

I've just fed him now and he got really angry afterwards, when usually he'd be really cheerful after a feed :( Nat gave him 5oz formula from a bottle and he had the whole lot :(

What's up with me and how come my milk isn't doing so well? The past couple of days I've really been trying to up my food intake too..

My mum and my dads girlfriend suggested maybe he needs baby rice now? :?

:cry: please help :cry:

3 months is very young to be introducing baby rice so I personally would hold off. It really does sound like normal growth spurt behaviour, just let him feed as much as he wants and he will soon up your milk supply. Your body will be making enough milk, it is a common myth that its not so trust your body. Your boobs are never empty, there is always milk its just after a while they have to feed harder and that frustrates some babies. As for the weight thing, breastfed babies always put on loads at first then slow right down, that is normal baby weight behaviour. In your red book have you got the growth lines for formula fed babies? If so, ignore them ad ask your HV for breastfed growth charts. Seren dropped 2 centiles which really stressed me out but she was fine. If he is alert, giving plenty of wet nappies then he is doing great.One week Seren put on one ounce - so 4 is great. Honestly he sounds fine to me.

Growth spurt is my guess! If you can just let him feed for as long as and whenever he wants. Cut out the formula otherwise it will take longer for your supply to catch up with his needs. Growth spurts are horrible but it will be over with within n a week, eat lots and drink loads and loads of water (try for a pint a hour) and rest as much as you can. I definately wouldn't introduce the baby rice as he's too young yet. Also as he's been having a bottle feed he's used to being able to get the milk out at a constant flow as soon as he sucks so the more bottles you use the more frustrated he's going to get.

Good luck hon, growth spurts are really tiring! :hug:

We only very rarely use a bottle - it's in emergencies :) we only gave him one this afternoon to see if he really was full up or not, and he obviously wasn't :(

He just keeps going on and coming off, all through the feed and it's bit of a battle. Boobs hardly ever feel full anymore, and whenever he does have a bottle I express as if I'd fed him myself so I keep up the supply :(

The 4oz gain was in 3 weeks :(

:|

leckershell said:
We only very rarely use a bottle - it's in emergencies :) we only gave him one this afternoon to see if he really was full up or not, and he obviously wasn't :(

He just keeps going on and coming off, all through the feed and it's bit of a battle. Boobs hardly ever feel full anymore, and whenever he does have a bottle I express as if I'd fed him myself so I keep up the supply :(

The 4oz gain was in 3 weeks :(

:|

still did better then Seren, and she is a right stocky girl now, was just a skiny bean whe she was a baby.

Emptying a bottle isn't a sign he is starving. Breastfed babies are used to working the breast with their tongue so milk comes into their mouth and they swallow whereas with bottles, they find the milk fills their mouth, so they swallow and straight away their mouths fill with milk again. Then you have a baby that is stuffed to the gills and sleeps - Seren always did this and I worried that I didn't have enough milk but I was wrong. Pleasedon't worry hun, if you are really worried have ypou phoned the La Leche League or NCT breastfeedig lines as they are great.

After a while your boobs will feel soft because they've adjusted to how much your baby needs at each feed. My boobs rarely feel full unless DS has had a growth spurt and fed loads for a few days, then not fed much for a day and they'll feel fuller and sore but that rarely happens now.

Hiya hun,

sorry you're having a rough time. I agree with th others, I would cut out the formula all together. It will prob be a bit uncomfortable for you for a bit as he'll suck you dry but let him keep sucking and hopefully your supply will increase.

You're not trying to do too much are you? Like lots of exercise or housework? I really think we breastfeeding mums have to be selfish and be a bit lazy. If you overdo it, you might find your body doesn't have the resources to make enough milk.

You could also try expressing at times when he's having a long sleep, so that your body think he's having another feed and ups your supply. Or, my health visitor told me to express right after a feed. You might only get half an ounce or so, but it'll make your boobs think the baby is feeding for longer than he actually is, so the next time there'll hopefully be more milk.

Or.... it could just be a growth spurt and the old taking the bubs to bed for a few days with you and letting them feed whenever could work.

Let us know how you get on.

K.xxx

Hi lecekershell,

I agree with everything above - it sounds like Ryan is going through a growth spurt and just very hungry just now - your boobs are never empty - but like mine, I bet they do feel squashy, not full now.

Its hard and I've never used formula, but DD went through a growth spurt last week, woke in the night (I'm used to my sleep now!) and fed about 9 times a day and I was so shattered (I find feeding really draining anyway, only way I can describe it is like they've sucked all the good stuff out of you) and I considered formula even though I'm really not keen, having got this far (nearly 4 months) on b/milk exclusively. But I got through it, it was only about 3 days and now we're back to normal again. Stick it out, if you can hon and cut the formula.

P.S. Loving the new hair by the way, you are one s*xy Mamma!

Valentine Xxx

I have no idea how much Alex weighs - haven't bothered to get him weighed since he was 6 weeks old, but I'm not that bothered - he looks alright to me!

I think its easy to get too obsessed with figures - I was the same way with Lydia - if she looked like she wasn't gaining weight enough, or if she was gaining it too fast, I would worry and wonder if something was wrong.

I'm much more laid back this time round - he's wearing 3-6 month clothes so that seems alright to me - I don't worry anymore about specifics.

I'm sure its just a growth spurt like the other ladies have said. He is gaining weight even if its slow, which is fine :)

Don't worry hun - just keep at it :)

Kylie1007 said:
Are you eating & drinking enough too?

:?

i'm working on it.

seems to have got better yesterday so here's hoping that last week he was just a hunger monster.

leckershell said:
Kylie1007 said:

i'm working on it.

seems to have got better yesterday so here's hoping that last week he was just a hunger monster.

You know how easy it is to get to about 2am and realise you haven't eaten or drunk anything all day!

are u sure he's emptying ur breasts? do u check by squeezing the one u think is empty? whenever iv done this iv always found its not empty after all!
if ur supply IS diminishing, it might be related to what u posted about in health & beauty, in which case u need proper help from a professional doc to treat the cause (its no good them telling u "just eat more" coz if u are depressed that itself can affect how ur body works, regardless of what ur eating)
on the other hand, he could just be hungrier and needing a bit more. we tried millie on baby rice at 17 weeks. it wont harm him if u WANT to try him on it.
good luck with it all :hug:

leckershell said:
Kylie1007 said:

i'm working on it.

:dance: Glad to hear it's going better now. You're doing a fab job :)

Sounds like your doing fab job michelle and Ryan looks fab, I agree with all the ladies on hre and will say its a growth spurt and imogen had a feeding frenzy a coupke if weeks ago and i couldnt heat the bottles fast enough!

I dont recoomend baby rice though as hes so young, madam had her first tastes yesterday and struggled to digest it and shes a bit older. persue with milk hunni, he looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back