Breast feeders - please help!!!

I think you forget how hard it is in the beginning because it does get so much easier. I'd say the first six weeks are relentless but then suddenly it just all falls into place. You have growth spurts but once supply is established it settles down...hang in there, its defo worth it. Plus your body is still recovering and that takes time.

i sympathise with you Cos E was and still soemtimes can be constantly hungry but we had to add in botles as top ups as she wasnt gaining weight so that gives a bit of relief

im like you tho and in the first few days to a week i wanted to throw the towel in on bf-ing i was so shattered and crabby and the supply wasny properly thru - it has got a bit easier tho still trying to get into a routine as much as possible with a 6 week old

keep going hun you are doing fantastic xx

Oh god I remember this! Finn used to cluster feed from about 5pm and would probably have continued well into the night if I hadn't decided to start combi feeding by giving him 2 bottles at night. I only combi fed for a few weeks, and although it did give me a break, it can mess up your supply so I don't know if it's best to do it that early on.
If I remember, the cluster feeding didn't last that long, maybe 3 or 4 weeks, but it was the thing I found the hardest about breast feeding. x

He's really settled into a better pattern now (thank god), it's now every 3hrs or there abouts and I can handle that.
BF is so much harder than I remember, then again, I think you are so tired you just forget it all x

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh hideous night last night!!!!
He woke at 3.40am for his feed, we'd had a great day and evening so far with the bf.
I put him on, he wouldn't latch. He'd suck twice, swallow then come off and root again. He did this over and over for well over two hours. He was getting frustrated as was I. So I swapped to the other boob - same again. It was nearing 3 hours and he hasn't fed.
I eventually pumped 3oz (while he cried) and he drank that. Then I put him back to the boob.
Then after another 20 mins of messing - he latched, just like that. He fed beautifully then slept for 3 hrs!!!
Why did he do that??? The position was our usual, milk was flowing well, latch looked good each time. Why???
It was awful. I'm soooo tired but I will not be defeated!!! So glad I don't have any formula in, that was a real low point.
Anyone any ideas? x

Oh I dunno maybe he just had a blip?? How frustrating for you! Lets hope it was a one-off as you're doing a fab job. Cam was like that at first, permanently latched on it seemed x

He was hungry, milk was dripping all over me yet he just kept coming off over and over. I just don't understand what the problem was! He'll be due a feed any minute so fx he latched straight away.
The annoying thing is that we are still at the toe curling pain stage, just at the initial latch, not throughout. But because he kept coming off over and over, I had the pain over and over too :( x

He was hungry, milk was dripping all over me yet he just kept coming off over and over. I just don't understand what the problem was! He'll be due a feed any minute so fx he latched straight away.
The annoying thing is that we are still at the toe curling pain stage, just at the initial latch, not throughout. But because he kept coming off over and over, I had the pain over and over too :( x

Weird one but have you eaten anything unusual? Like spicy maybe?

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Oh absolutely could be that. I had chicken tikka once and poor cam went crazy :oooo:

Ahh right, I hope it was that and not a sign of things to come!
I've just pumped 5oz and he's taken that no problem.
The bf lady is coming around at 2pm so I'll get him back on the boob next feed x

I hope you are having an easier time of it today hun.

Big love. Hang in there xxxx

Ps. T used to be fussy at times too like that. Wouldn't feed and would screech and screech at me for what seemed like no reason. It never did last long but I know how stressful it is. Fx it passes x

Maybe try totally topless for skin to skin if he does it again? X

That's a good idea. He's quite happy today so fx he doesn't do that again.
I'll stay away from the garlic and spicy food too x

Its just i had a curry in the early days and he was very fussy after thar and got a rash even. Hope its better for you today

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

We had that in hospital - B would latch, come off, latch, come off and it went on and on to the point they insisted I gave formula to prevent dehydration. When I saw a HV at home she said that my anaemia probably tainted the taste of my milk so that's why B wouldnt suck for long as he didn't like the taste - basically what I'm saying is the girls are probably right that something you ate tasted funny to LO - if I ate garlic I could always smell it on Bs breath the next day lol!
Hope things are better now x

It must have been the garlic because he has latched first time every time today.
I spoke to the bf lady about it when she came today and she agreed it was probably that as she couldn't think of another reason. She watched him feed today, she says the latch and position is perfect. Fx it was a one off x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back