Bottle-feeding Taboo

Surveyor

Reaction score
So my sister stopped breastfeeding relatively quickly with her new baby. She had a pretty hectic premature delivery and couldn't be with the baby for the first 24 hours. However after getting to be with the baby she quickly started bonding and breastfeeding.

After 1 month she was having difficulties expressing milk and started supplementing with formula. After a 1,5 months she switched to 100% formula. Her baby has heart issues so she has gone through a lot, in my view it is more important to maintain her mental and emotional health than for her to start stressing over breastfeeding again. In my culture it's seen as shameful not to breastfeed until the baby is at least 9 months old.

Unfortunately she feels that both family and medical professionals are judging her for her choice to stop trying, I myself have observed people giving her a hard time. She has bonded with the baby and everything is going as it should, baby is gaining weight and medicine is keeping him stable.

Is there anything I can do to help her through this? How can I respond when family members judgingly talk about her choices? Is it normal for family to criticize these kinds of things and what do I do when it's my turn to have a baby and people start criticizing me for my decisions?

Alternately, am I wrong? Should we criticize young mothers for not breastfeeding?

if she was having trouble expressing what else is she supposed to do?!!!! I think that is very cruel to judge her for a choice that wasnt exactly a choice at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back