Breast Feeding problems???

megsmeadow

Reaction score
I hope my friend doesn't mind me posting but thought I would ask some of the wise ones around here! So I just went to visit her with her two week old princess and she's been having a lot of problems breast feeding. She hasn't had much support from the midwives and has also had a pretty nasty fungal infection. The baby was latching on and she was feeding for 3-4 hours at a time, then when the pain got too much she expressed and found it was bloody milk. So she's getting the treatment for the infection but she's really struggling with guilt about formula feeding her baby, and keeps getting calls from the on-call midwife asking her why she was giving up breastfeeding. She's questioning whether she should try breastfeeding again before her milk dries up and feeling the pressure.

She is very well aware of the benefits of breastfeeding and has clearly tried her best but is in a lot of pain and emotionally wracked with guilt. I know 'breast is best' but surely not at all cost? Is there any information out there that supports this? It seems the midwives don't want to tell her anything about formula feeding, even how much to give cause they don't support it. I really feel for her and she's getting so much conflicting advice. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
My first thoughts are it's a bad latch. Where in the country is she? If she really wants to continue it's important we find her some decent support. It's ok the MWs saying she shouldnt give up but they need to help her.

There are lots of different support groups she can go to and in the mean time I recommend she rings the Association of Breastfeeding Mother's Support line on 08444 122949. ring from a land line not a mobile as it identifies where she is an connects her to her nearest BFing counsellor. This is who I did my training with. The line goes direct to the local counsellors home so tell her to leave a message if no one answers - they will call back. They are manned 9.30am to 10.30pm every day.

The other number she can ring for advice over the phone in the mean time is National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 0212.

Check this link for a list of local support groups. http://www.abm.me.uk/list-support-groups

I was struggling at about the 10 day mark - she is at THE hardest point there is when starting out but you can get past it and for me, attending a local support group was the turning point and the start of a wonderful, rewarding experience that lasted a whole year. :)

Thanks Mervs Mum!! We're in central Scotland. There is a support group on Wednesdays but when the miwdife saw her last week she didn't even tell her about it!!! She's getting lots of advice from friends and family but no professionals or experts which I think must make it even more difficult. I'll pass the info on, she is asking herself whether to try it again, I don't want her feeling pressured though as I'm sure the advisors won't. Like you say, it's fine telling her to keep going but she needs the practical help to do that if she wants to!
Thank you!

They are there to support her not say if she should or shouldnt give up. They will give her practical advice and help her decide how to tackle the problems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back