Not back to birth weight at 4 weeks

maybebaby

Reaction score
My niece is 4 weeks old & weighed 10lb at birth. At her 5 day check she had lost 9oz, and since then she hasn't lost any more weight but has been putting it back on very slowly. She was weighed today and is only 9lb 13oz, so still 3oz under her birth weight.

My sister is breastfeeding Roxy, she breastfed her elder two girls successfully up to 10 months and would like to do the same with Roxy. My niece feeds pretty frequently and seems to be getting on fine with it, but my sister's health visitor has now said that if she is not back up to 10lb by next week Jess should start supplementing the breastfeeding with formula, which she doesn't really want to do.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it common for a big baby to put on weight more slowly?

yes i do. baby budge the 4th was a ten pounder.

what might have occured is that roxy was greedy in your sisters tummy and over ate :lol: . And now shes out shes just gaining weight gradually.
baby budge did this although she never went below her birth weight. But this doesn't mean its not normal.

is roxy alert between feed? is she wetting nappies and pooing regualrly? is she sleeping ok? Is your sister feeling well and relaxed? is she eating well and drinking plenty?

if the answers are al yes then relax . roxy is a well baby but was a big fat greedy pig in your sisters tummy oink oink.

Thanks budge. As far as I know she's perfectly happy & healthy, so I don't think there's anything to worry about. She was overdue as well so I think you're probably right about putting on the weight in utero! I'll pass that on to my sister, hopefully it'll reassure her.

I take it you don't think she'll need to supplement formula? She doesn't want to and I reckon that as long as Roxy's not losing weight Jess should be fine carrying on breastfeeding?

Hi

I think it is okay just keep on what she is doing i mean in another month if she hasnt gained or has lost i might be concerned??
Katrina

maybebaby said:
Thanks budge. As far as I know she's perfectly happy & healthy, so I don't think there's anything to worry about. She was overdue as well so I think you're probably right about putting on the weight in utero! I'll pass that on to my sister, hopefully it'll reassure her.

I take it you don't think she'll need to supplement formula? She doesn't want to and I reckon that as long as Roxy's not losing weight Jess should be fine carrying on breastfeeding?

id never advise formula as at this stage. :) like u said as long as shes not losing weight or showing any other signs of failure to thrive iwouldn't be worried.

Just thought I'd update, Roxy was weighed again last week (at 5 weeks old) and was up to 10lb 2oz so no more worries :cheer:

yay for Roxy.

My DD was like this - she was 10lbs 10oz at birth and then dropped to 9lbs 15oz and it took a month for her to regain her birth weight.

DS was also large at birth, 10lbs 1oz, but by 2 weeks old he was already 10lbs 12oz, so not like DD at all.

maybebaby said:
Just thought I'd update, Roxy was weighed again last week (at 5 weeks old) and was up to 10lb 2oz so no more worries :cheer:

good. thatnks for the update!

Hannah was 10lb 4oz at birth and was nearly 8 weeks before she got back to her birth weight

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back