Boiling water for bottles

bumpy1

Reaction score
Hi there

Does anyone know why you have to leave the kettle for 30 mins after boiling?
Does it affect the milk if you add freshly boiled water?

As far as I know they say to leave for 30 mins due to the risk of scalding. I have heard people say that boiling water effects the milk as it destroys nutrients but have never been told this by anyone official. I have also looked up this theory on line and couldn't find anything to support it so this may just be a myth?
I boil the kettle once and pour into bottles, I use powder dispensers with the correct amount of formula in and just add the formula to the water as and when I need to. This means that the water isn't necessarily hot when I add the formula but my hv and mw have both said this is fine.
I used this method with my first born too (as have many friends/family memebers) and never had any problems x

The latest NHS and WHO info says you should make each bottle up with water at a MINIMUM of 70 degrees. It's not leave the water for 30 mins, it's leave it for no more than 30 mins so you don't end up with water less than 70 degrees c.

The only problem with using boiling water is that you may have to cool the bottle (depending on how good you are at mixing the right amount of cooled boiled water) and sometimes bottles warp if you out boiling water in.

The latest NHS and WHO info says you should make each bottle up with water at a MINIMUM of 70 degrees. It's not leave the water for 30 mins, it's leave it for no more than 30 mins so you don't end up with water less than 70 degrees c.

The only problem with using boiling water is that you may have to cool the bottle (depending on how good you are at mixing the right amount of cooled boiled water) and sometimes bottles warp if you out boiling water in.

Wss^^

As above. I think the water has to be that hot to 'sterilise' the powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back