BLW before 6 months...Is it possible?

Mrs Wibbily

Reaction score
Just as the title says really.

I exclusively BF Finn but I am certain he is ready for more, he makes chewing noises when we eat (could be just copying of course), he can sit up well and he can pick things up from his high chair. also when I'm eating, he just stares all the time and when I've finished he cries!!!! I really didn't want to go down the road of puree's and want to do BLW. Can it be done before 6 months? I know the guidelines is now 6 months which I really wanted to try for.

Finn will be 5 months this week.

Thanks in advance. xxx

Erm, I'm not sure if their digestive system would be advanced enough, I suppose you could start off with easily digestible things like apple and carrot.

I'd be tempted to ease him in with a few purées perhaps just for the first two weeks and once he's used to moving the food to the back of his mouth to swallow then start BLW.

I doubt it's impossible to start at 5 months, I guess it's just a case of bring careful of what you give them, avoiding gluten, eggs, dairy etc until 6 months
Xx

I think KarateKid, MrsT and LMaclean all started earlier than 6 months with BLW and their LOs are doing really well. Tilly didn't show an interest until she was 6 months but we are doing full BLW. I think if he's able to sit upright unaided and to bring food quickly and accurately to his mouth then there's no harm in trying him with some foods. Like FBE said, just avoid meat, dairy, eggs and gluten until 6 months. Start with some cooked broccoli or sticks of sweet potato, carrot etc. and see what happens. xxx

As Karen said we started at 5 months but C was ready steamed veggies and softened fruit were our starting point and blw has gone from strength to strength. We introduced everything once C turned 6 months and both myself and C are loving it.

There are days where he doesn't eat as much but that's fine, in his time.

Maybe try LO with a little broccoli as it easy to hold.

Let me know if you have any questions xx

Thanks ladies for replying you're all brilliant.

I keep putting it off because... well i don't know why probably because I want to keep finn a baby forever as he's my last and introducing solids makes me think, "argh he's growing too quickly". He pinched a banana out of my hand the other morning and started sucking it and I swear to you he took it out of his mouth looked up and said "Ha"! So i know he's ready. He's thriving on BM though, took him to get weighed this morning and he's now 15lb 15oz. Saying that he feeds so much so I know he's putting it on.

I know BLW is fabulous so I am defo going down that route.

KK once i've started do I offer food at every meal time or just once a day to begin with? If I miss a day of solids will it matter, is my milk still enough for him? I am so nervous about it yet excited at the same time! xx

Also do i just stick completely to fruit and veg for the first month and then I can give toast etc from 6 months?

My head is buzzing with questions! :lol: x

Awww bless him! I know what you mean about solid food being a gradation from the baby stages but I have loved every second.

I do two proper meals a day with C and one snacky meal which is usually lunch as we are out and about. At five- six months I wasn't overly concerned if we couldn't fit in a meal it was more about the experience for C.

A typical day is:

Porridge fingers for breakfast

Cheese and ham omelette with bread sticks, carrot sticks and hummus

Pasta, broccoli, chicken strips and a bit of fruit for pudding

I am still pretty flexible with day time routine and that works for us but the BLW mantra is 'food is fun until one'. It is slot to do with exploring tastes and textures.

Xx

Sorry forgot to answer your question yes your milk is still more than enough for him him and should be his main source of nutrition until a year old.

Also you can introduce LO to everything from 6 months apart from added salt, sugar, honey and whole nuts xx

Hi Hun - yes we started about 5 months although B had tastes of things before that. I didn't do set meal times to start with - just whatever he wanted off my plate or anyone else's that was sitting too close lol!
We started a routine at 6 months with dinner first then introduced breakfast then lunch. Now he has snacks as well.
One of his first foods was a tomato slice!
BLW is so much fun - I'm still amazed that he can eat a whole crumpet by himself!

Thanks ladies

Finn was a monkey tonight and tried to take a digestive biscuit from my husbands hands!!

So for the first month just fruit and veg? I have the book but as they recommend 6 months I know I can't give everything till then!

Sorry for maybe repeating my questions I just feel like such a novice even though my eldest is only 3, although I did purée for him! Never again!

X

Yay! Brilliant. Enjoy it, hun. Any questions, we're always here xx

Thanks, it was fab and my 3 year old was so excited he was running round shouting "Yeah Finn's having tea with us". Too cute.
Can I vary day to day what I give him or should I stick to the same things for a couple of days? X

Aww. It's amazing, isn't it? I think it's OK to vary things a bit. Just watch what you give him in case of a reaction, so you know what might have caused it. There are certain things that some people avoid in the early stages, such as strawberries and tomatoes, but because I started at 6 months, we just dived right in with a big variety of foods and she's been fine. Maybe KK will be able to advise more xxx

I stuck to broccoli, asparagus, softened apples and pears a lot of the time because I knew C would eat them! Xx

Really stupid question considering I feed 4 other children but how do I soften apples and pears? Steaming? It's the sleep deprivation making me thick!!xx

I've done them in the microwave but that's kind of nasty. They kind of go weird... I think steaming would work. The method that Tilly likes best is when I soften them in a pan with a little butter with a dash of cinnamon. Don't know if he can have butter yet, but a little oil would be OK, I think. I don't generally bother with pears - I just wait until they are very ripe and she can eat them raw. She adores pear and can eat a whole one if I let her xx

Thanks I really need to get my head around things!! I've forgotten it all!!xxx

Hehe I just steamed them Hun but now I have stolen Karens idea of butter and cinnamon and C loves it!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back