Blood Pressure Query

Mummy Rich

Reaction score
What is a healthy boundary for your blood pressure when pregnant?

What's the difference between the top and bottom number?

I am sorry if I sound really stupid but just been gandering at my maternity notes and wasnt sure what was what or why it'd changed. I know the midwife would have said somethin if she was unhappy about it but I am just curious.

Thanks xxx

im not sure about blood pressure either hun but like carley said, it is the bottom one they keep an eye on as ine is usually 120/80 but last time i went it was 120/76 and my MW just said its the bottom one we need to keep an eye on.

So mine usually reads 100/60 and once it read 100/65

The last time I went it read 120/60

What does that mean???xx

I fit blood pressure monitors as part of my job, your blood pressure looks fine to me. If anything it is on the lower end of normal but that is fine and nothing to worry about. Basically blood pressure is measured in millimeters of mercury and the top number is the pressure at which the cuff stops the blood flow through the artery, this gives a reading of the pressure in the heart when it is contracting (ie pushing the blood out). They get the bottom number by finding the point at which the blood starts to flow again past the cuff. This is the heart muscle relaxing. Hope that makes sense, its hard to explain I think. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back