donating my umbilical cord.

mel33

Reaction score
I finally got the go ahead to donate my umbilical cord. My 3 yr old son was diagnosed with leukeamia last year, so incase he relapses Nathan's consultant has agreed that it might be best to collect the umbilical cord incase he needs a bone marrow transplant :dance:

The baby might not be a match, but there is a 1 in 4 chance it could be.

I'm not sure if this is something any of you ladies have ever thought about but its a great idea to donate your cord if its possible.

http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/donate-your-umbilical-cord/Why-cord-blood-saves-lives.aspx

Melx

That's really interesting. I hadn't heard of this - I'd heard of storing cord cells?

Glad your son is OK now.

xx

Oh, also, does it cost to donate or store?

If you donate going through Anthony Nolan you don't have to pay you just have to check that the hospital are willing to collect it for you.

I'm gutted as my hospital isn't on their but I'm going to ask my midwife when I see her!

I know not all hospitals do them. it just seems a waste when the cord would be goin in the bin, yet it could save a life.

Is there a way of requesting your hospital sends them away??

OMG I have never ever heard of this!! I will look into it immediately!! I really hope my hospital can do it. I am also on bone marrow register and wish there was more awareness of this!!

Oh its only at 3 hospitals - I'm in Scotland so no chance for me.... Sorry! There really should be more awareness of this and hospitals who can do it. Its always money money money money and no resourses - this could be saving lives..... hospitals sometimes have priorities all wrong....

I'm donating the blood from my cord ;) At my 35 week appointment during the week, a nice lady had a chat with me before I had my scan and she advised that they collect it, store it, and that it could go anywhere to help out :)

I think its a fab thing and why not. It won't be stored specifically for my baby but for anyone who needs it. I didn't give it a second thought. x

Last edited:
I'm donating the blood from my cord ;) At my 35 week appointment during the week, a nice lady had a chat with me before I had my scan and she advised that they collect it, store it, and that it could go anywhere to help out :)

I think its a fab thing and why not. It won't be stored specifically for my baby but for anyone who needs it. I didn't give it a second thought. x

This is brilliant. I think in the future more and more hospitals will collect cords, it just seems a waste to not donate it. Its not like we need it. :)

Oh its only at 3 hospitals - I'm in Scotland so no chance for me.... Sorry! There really should be more awareness of this and hospitals who can do it. Its always money money money money and no resourses - this could be saving lives..... hospitals sometimes have priorities all wrong....

My hospital isn't on the list either, but I can still do it, it might be worth asking.

But you're right though it is all about money which is sad. I know a boy who is 3 and relapsed and they had 5 wks to find a bone marrow match. Luckily they found one and the match came from an umbilical cord. Hopefully the transplant will go well.

Hiya, this sounds a great idea! What's the proceedings for it as I'm thinking of doing this too, I'd love to help somebody in need! Do you have to have a extra blood test or something before you go into labour? What happens?? xx and good luck with your son's umbilical cord, hope it's a match!! fingers are crossed hun xx

Hiya, this sounds a great idea! What's the proceedings for it as I'm thinking of doing this too, I'd love to help somebody in need! Do you have to have a extra blood test or something before you go into labour? What happens?? xx and good luck with your son's umbilical cord, hope it's a match!! fingers are crossed hun xx

You don't need an extra blood test as far as I know. I'm not quite sure. My consultant is arranging it. But as far as I know if the hospital is willing, they just collect it after the birth. Have a look at the Anthony Nolan website, I've posted a link above and ask your midwife, I think that's probably the best idea.

Also thank you. I really hope that the baby is match too! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back