Birthing Centres

Kirsty.Y.84

Reaction score
I went for a visit round the new birthing cente at my local hospital this afternoon ànd it's absolutely amazing! It's like a hotel! Each room has its own birthing pool, double bed, sofa, en-suite. It's all low lighting and lava lamps and so relaxing! If you give birth there then your husband gets to stay the night with you, which is lovely.

I so desperately want to give birth there, I'm just praying my placenta moves as at the moment it is low lying and covering my cervix.

Is anyone else thinking of giving birth in one of these birth centres?

x x

I would love to be able to go on the midwife ward at my hospital but I'm classed as high risk cos of my bmi, so I will be on the consultant led ward being monitored :( not how I planned it as I would prefer a water birth. Those rooms sound amazing though xx

We don't have one in Belfast (that I'm aware of) but I heard they are making one but its a bit out of the way for me.
It sounds lovely though! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I've chosen to give birth at Crowborough Birthing Centre (assuming everything stays as is and I remain 'low risk'), and I'm having all my antenatal care there too. I've heard so many wonderful things about people's experiences in Brithing Centres, it was an easy choice for me! I am a bit worried in case things go wrong, but I've been assured that they are equipped for all eventualities and can get me to a hospital quickly if need be. Also, I think they probably have to notice things quicker just in case, iykwim.
Hopefully ur placenta will sort itself out! Think the environment of a birthing centre seems much more 'friendly' and relaxed than a hospital! In saying that, there are a lot of advantages with hospitals as well! (being able to have an epidural for a start lol) Good luck!

Was that the birth place??
Heard mixed reviews on it but it sounds perfect. I just get to go to hospital and they dnt even do a tour anymore its all online x

I had my first in one and will be again. The level of care was amazing I had a mw there all the time, you get a room from when you arrive and font move until u leave. They do pick up on potential problems early and are prepared. My lo was back to back a bit stuck and distressed they had ambulance on standby and ready for any potential problems. Luckily with an episiotomy they delivered my perfectly healthy boy. The midwife I was with to start finished her shift just before the pushing stage and she even came back to see how we were a few hours later.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to give birth in the midwife-led birthing centre at Princess Anne in Southampton but I don't know what it looks like. I think it's quite old so doubt it's anywhere near as nice as yours! x

Heard mixed reviews on it but it sounds perfect. I just get to go to hospital and they dnt even do a tour anymore its all online x

Yes it was the birth place. It does look lovely, obviously it is only the right choice if you are sure you won't want further pain relief, but it just seemed so relaxed and lovely!

Luckily the one we want to go to is within the hospital, on same floor as the normal delivery suite, so if there are complications you can easily be transferred, which puts your mind at ease.

Jacy, I must live not far from you as Crowborough is 15 mins away from me. I've heard it's a brilliant place and the staff are amazing there. I'm going to go to pembury, purely as its my first I haven't decided on the level of pain relief I'd like and I understand you cant have an epidural there, is that right? Xx

Sounds amazing. The idea of somewhere nice and calm brings your panic levels down straight away, eh?!!
I live in a rural town with only a birthing centre but the nearest hospital is 1hour 40 mins away. So I'm in a complete dilemma as I am low risk and terrified of hospitals and hubby doesn't drive so would ideally love to have baby in local birthing centre but.... If they get the hint of even slightest thing not going right I'll be rushed by ambulance to the bigger hospital 75 miles away. Part of me thinks I should just plan to have baby at big hospital so I am in control of at least a small part of the labour. Worst thing is no epidurals available at even the big hospital, let alone the local birthing centre!!! We're tough women in southwest Scotland!!! (or just no one has yet to fight for the availability of epi's - I must start a petition!!!)

Yes it was the birth place. It does look lovely, obviously it is only the right choice if you are sure you won't want further pain relief, but it just seemed so relaxed and lovely!

Luckily the one we want to go to is within the hospital, on same floor as the normal delivery suite, so if there are complications you can easily be transferred, which puts your mind at ease.

Yeah thats what its like at DVH, makes me feel a bit better about labour as if theyre were to be complications id only have to be transferred next door etc etc x

That sounds A-Mazing!!! Especially that each room has a pool :)

I'm giving birth at St Thomas' at Westminster and there is a birthing centre but the pools are very limited so no guarentee however partners can stay over night. I hope I remain low risk because I'm a little freaked by hospitals and think the centre will be less daunting for me!!! xx

Yes I agree about birthing centres being less daunting! The midwife I spoke to at the birthing centre also said that they encourage husbands/partners to get in the pool with you and even help deliver the baby if it is safe to do so! I think that would be amazing! x

Jacy, I must live not far from you as Crowborough is 15 mins away from me. I've heard it's a brilliant place and the staff are amazing there. I'm going to go to pembury, purely as its my first I haven't decided on the level of pain relief I'd like and I understand you cant have an epidural there, is that right? Xx

Ah right! I live about 25mins / half an hour from Crowborough, in Polegate. Whereabouts are you? Im originally from Tonbridge, so I was born at Pembury hospital! Would love to give birth there, but unfortunately its outside my 'catchment' area.
It is right about no epidurals, and that bothers me a little, but I think out of my options (Eastbourne, Hastings or Crowborough), Crowborough's definately the best bet!! Im hoping to try out 'hypnobirthing' so hopefully I'll be alright with the epidural!

I live in Tunbridge Wells (well just outside in Bidborough). My friend gave birth in Crowborough last year and couldnt have rated it more highly, she said the midwives where amazing, the rooms and food was great (its all about the food with me :) ha ha !) I'm also doing yoga as that it supposed to prepare you well for the birth in terms of deep breathing and muscle toning - we'll see I guess.

I was born in Pembury too and I think I'll go there as its 5 mins away.
xx

I like the idea of it, but would rather be in the hospital in case anything goes wrong x

I like the idea of it, but would rather be in the hospital in case anything goes wrong x

Yes I agree, luckily our birthing centre is within the hospital and on same ward as normal delivery suite, so I'm much more relaxed :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back